• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just returned, Blue Card sadness

Jelly563

Mouseketeer
Just returned from a wonderful 6 day trip (VGF) even with terrible weather. I finally have noticed, that Disney doesn't care about us. Disney only cares about your money.
If the weather is absolutely abysmal, you really should get a park refund or at least allow one day of your ticket to be used another time. I bought a 4 day (that expired 6 days from purchase) but being from out of state (like most visitors) it's not practical to change airline reservations to stay another day if you get washed out.
Another issue was with my coveted blue card. I bought a TON of stuff, from all over the parks. Food and Merchandise. I remember it ALWAYS worked for a little something. On this trip, it was hitting less than 50%. Independent kiosks all over (even the popcorn one right next to the castle) rejected it. Everything at Disney Springs rejected it and some of the restaurants also.
On the sunny side, they did away with the mask stormtroopers that would walk around and point at you if your mask wasn't up around your eyelids. Many people didn't even have a mask and were inside/outside. The new walkway to MK from VGF was wonderful and fast (12 minutes door to door)

I’m sorry you had a wash out day. Rain in Florida typically doesn’t last all day long usually a quick 30 minute down pour, we do get some really rainy October days in lieu of a hurricane so we Floridians much prefer that. A lot of the shops at Disney springs are not owned and operated by Disney so they have no obligation to give a DVC discount unfortunately (I love that Basin gives one). Food kiosks have never given a DVC discount only sit down dining has a discount. I really dislike the new charging for the genie+ and ILL$.

Disney World is in Florida. It probably rains/storms 1/3rd the days each year (seems like it anyway!). We know that's a risk when we go. I can't fault Disney for not extending your tickets if the weather is bad. If it's bad enough and they close, then they do help with the tickets. But if the parks are open, it's your choice to go or not.

Yes, Disney cares more about money than any of us and it's been that way since Walt. Appearances of good will that bring happiness were always to make guests feel better and to keep guests returning. Unfortunately a lot of that has disappeared as Disney has recognized people return anyway.

I even agree it's ridiculous that Disney segmenting discounts to not accept at places one might expect is frustrating, but I also don't ever remember quick service and most carts accepting discounts. I think Jeffrey's accepts gives a discount. That said, I've found that there are still tons of places to get discounts, including Disney Springs. It's mostly table service service and many many stores. I even got a discount at the Columbia store at Disney Springs.

It's weird about the discounts. When I was there in May, I got a Disney Visa discount anywhere I spent over $50, and sometimes less than $50. In August, most of the time I was told the discount was not available. I think maybe I got it once.

Blue Card holders are definitely entitled to more discounts. The weather, however, is extremely unfortunate.

I have been an owner since 2009 and to be honest, some of the places where you mention getting discounts have never worked for me, especially QS places or kiosks in the parks or around Disney Springs.

I am sorry that the weather didn't cooperate, but that is not something that has anything do with Disney. It happens and is expected. Unless its a downpour, we enjoy going to the parks in the rain and make the best of it. I realize that is not possible for everyone, but its the same with the heat. Some people go and it ends up being so much hotter than expected and can't tour the park the way they had hoped.

Its the nature of visiting an outdoor park like WDW. Hopefully your next trip will be better!

Businesses exist to make money.
Expecting a refund due to rain is a bit over the top. The parks stay open unless a hurricane is going to have a direct hit there (not counting the pandemic....and I think Disney/DVC did pretty good for their customers with extending APs and allowing people to get their points back....although it wasn’t perfect but at least they reopened in Florida earlier than I ever expected). We always check the 15 day forecast before final packing and leaving. We’ve been there in December/January/February when it was much colder than I would have liked and using the pools was impossible. I didn’t expect anything. Didn’t spend much time in the parks, that’s how cold it was. We made our own fun, visiting other resorts to see decorations for Christmas and shopping and eating.
As for blue cad discounts, there is a section on the members homepage titled “all member benefits” and gives you an entire list of where you get discounts and how much. There are even little tabs at the top where you can select dining, shopping, events, etc. I’ve never received a discount at any kiosk. Never on popcorn. Food discounts is normally sit down, although I recall some food trucks at Disney Springs were giving a discount.
The only time discounts were given at counter service was during Mickeys 50th birthday....but that was for AP holders.

I haven't noticed any significant changes in the amount of discounts for the blue card. Maybe a few have changed here and there, but we were just at WDW in Oct and got all the discounts we were expecting. QS / kiosks hardly ever offered them and DS has always been hit or miss.

Sorry about the weather, but if Disney gave discounts every time there was bad weather in Florida they'd create a nightmare scenario for CM's with people asking for refunds because it rained for a couple of hours. And then they'd raise ticket prices to compensate for it.

I understand what you are saying with the weather--this past Friday was not just the usual bad Florida weather. It rained non-stop for the entire day. Started before the first park opened, and didn't stop until after the last park closed. Non-stop. Yes, it's Florida and it often rains, but rarely like that. It was quite miserable. So people, be nice to OP.

The only way I know to get a discount at some WDW places is to use a Disney Gift Card that you purchased with a cash back deal or discount back home.

Vera Bradley had a free shipping discount last week for DVC blue card. I inquire about DVC blue card, AP or Disney Visa discount and am often pleasantly surprised. I bought a 50th D & B bag and got 20% off at the Poly. It is hit or miss!

We had 12 perfect days out of 13 (last Friday was a washout). In 2019 it was 90 every day same weeks in October/November and we were roasting. We just make the best of what we get...

Florida is not the sun shine state, Arizona is.

Sorry you got rained out though, I've been rained out on other vacations like Hawaii and it's always a bummer.

We went in August. It was blistering hot, muggy, and rainy everyday. But in a way, it was enjoyable to just wear swim clothes, ponchos, flip flops and embrace the downpour. WRT discounts, I too wish it was a little consistent across the board but overall, I'm thankful that that they even give discounts at most places.

We went in August. It was blistering hot, muggy, and rainy everyday. But in a way, it was enjoyable to just wear swim clothes, ponchos, flip flops and embrace the downpour. WRT discounts, I too wish it was a little consistent across the board but overall, I'm thankful that that they even give discounts at most places.
Slippahs an a poncho, brah!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter