Just off the Fantasy...any questions?

efam

Mouseketeer
This first-timer will try to answer. :smooth:

We were on the Western Caribbean trip that had a tropical depression (now Hurricane Nate) on our first two port stops. I would have never known there was a tropical depression if it wasn't for the locals informing us when we were at Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Now I know Disney can't control the weather... but they could have at least informed us about it. The forecast for both days was "Overcast"...you should have seen the sideways rain and blowing wind at both ports.:rolleyes2 I feel like Disney's wonderful upbeat atmosphere was a little too positive about the weather situation. I just wish they were more upfront about it so that we could have better prepared our expectations.

Because of the bad weather, we took a chance at Jamaica and went to Red Stripe beach with another family. It was honestly my favorite beach day. The weather was perfect...the beach was never crowded...and we felt very safe. The trip out to Red Stripe was a little rough because the road is under construction for a new resort. Later that night on the ship, we ran into someone who left the port gates on their own...DO NOT LEAVE THE PORT GATES ON YOUR OWN! Too many locals trying to prey on the cruisers. They literally ran back to the gates because they were so uncomfortable with the crowds of islanders and constant panhandling. (The Red Stripe excursion booth was inside the gate and we boarded the bus inside the gate.)

On a positive note, I never expected the Fantasy to be so clean! I'm a slight germaphobe, so this was a very pleasant surprise. And the staff was truly amazing. Everyone was so happy to see us and they remembered everything about us after only one conversation. My gluten free dietary restriction was handled really well and the kids clubs were such a treat for my girls (and for me and my husband). A truly outstanding vacation!!

Did you spend time in any of the bars/nightclubs?

How was the food?

Was there a daytime (3rd) time for any of the live shows?

Did you spend time in any of the bars/nightclubs?

How was the food?

Was there a daytime (3rd) time for any of the live shows?

1. Yes! We loved Currents on the 12th floor outside. (There was some great people watching there.) We went there several nights after the 5:45pm dinner. Shout out to Nambiar our server! He was great. We also went to O'Gills to catch up on the football games and to play trivia.

2. I'm gluten free, so I'm somewhat limited but I was catered very well. We didn't do Palo or Remy but we went to all of our main dinners. I'm more of a healthy eater and I was very pleased. My husband too.

3. Gosh...I'm not 100% sure. We only went to Aladdin after our dinner. I believe there was a magician show and a hypnotist show during the day.

I am gluten free also, and we are getting ready to take our first cruise on the Fantasy in April. Did you have much variety to choose from when meals were concerned? How were the quick service food places, did they have much in the way of gluten free foods or were you limited to the sit down dining restaurants? I know Disney World is great in handling gluten free foods, I just have no experience with the cruise line. We are also healthy eaters, and with my gluten free limitation, it sometimes makes dining out a real hassle.

I am gluten free also, and we are getting ready to take our first cruise on the Fantasy in April. Did you have much variety to choose from when meals were concerned? How were the quick service food places, did they have much in the way of gluten free foods or were you limited to the sit down dining restaurants? I know Disney World is great in handling gluten free foods, I just have no experience with the cruise line. We are also healthy eaters, and with my gluten free limitation, it sometimes makes dining out a real hassle.

There are definitely options at Cabanas (they will make up a plate if you're not comfy with the buffet - AND they can do chicken fingers and fries!!). I only did the pizza place as far as the on-deck places on the Magic and they could do one there. I have heard that they will get a manager and can do stuff gluten-free at most of them though. There are some limits on the MDR menus - but I've heard that some people are better at getting off-menu stuff. I just don't like to "rock the boat" so I pretty much go with what is on the menu with modifications if necessary (like French Onion soup without the crouton). I definitely did not feel like a problem or that I went hungry or missed out on anything (heck, even Palo can do the chocolate soufflé gluten-free). Room service is really the only off-limits (other than Mickey bars!!) thing I've found.

I will note, I have not heard great things about the meal on Castaway if you pre-order the gluten-free meal - but I travel either solo or all adults so we eat at Serenity Bay where there is a steak option so I don't have to deal with pre-ordering. (And if I feel like a hamburger, I'll just go "protein style".)

There are definitely options at Cabanas (they will make up a plate if you're not comfy with the buffet - AND they can do chicken fingers and fries!!). I only did the pizza place as far as the on-deck places on the Magic and they could do one there. I have heard that they will get a manager and can do stuff gluten-free at most of them though. There are some limits on the MDR menus - but I've heard that some people are better at getting off-menu stuff. I just don't like to "rock the boat" so I pretty much go with what is on the menu with modifications if necessary (like French Onion soup without the crouton). I definitely did not feel like a problem or that I went hungry or missed out on anything (heck, even Palo can do the chocolate soufflé gluten-free). Room service is really the only off-limits (other than Mickey bars!!) thing I've found.

I will note, I have not heard great things about the meal on Castaway if you pre-order the gluten-free meal - but I travel either solo or all adults so we eat at Serenity Bay where there is a steak option so I don't have to deal with pre-ordering. (And if I feel like a hamburger, I'll just go "protein style".)

Great, thank you for responding! I don't like to rock the boat either (I like what you did with that by the way :) ) so I try to just find things on the menu to order. It sounds like there are plenty of options, which is great! We are hoping to get a reservation for Palo during our anniversary evening, so I would love to try the gluten free souffle.

I am hoping our two girls will want to spend some time at the kids club areas while on Castaway Cay so we can have some time at Serenity Bay. The steak sounds pretty good, but worst case scenario I can always go bunless with a hamburger.

Great, thank you for responding! I don't like to rock the boat either (I like what you did with that by the way :) ) so I try to just find things on the menu to order. It sounds like there are plenty of options, which is great! We are hoping to get a reservation for Palo during our anniversary evening, so I would love to try the gluten free souffle.

I am hoping our two girls will want to spend some time at the kids club areas while on Castaway Cay so we can have some time at Serenity Bay. The steak sounds pretty good, but worst case scenario I can always go bunless with a hamburger.

You're welcome. The only night I ended up going with one of the "always available" options was in Lumiere's simply because I am not a big duck fan, and that was the entree on the menu marked gluten-free. (This was on the Magic - it's the same menu pretty much in Royal whichever on the Dream Class or Triton's on the Wonder). My server (again, on the Magic - but it was Aditya there) was pretty good at surprising me too. In Carioca's, I ended up with THREE desserts because there were 2 marked gluten-free and I could not decide, and he brought me the sundae which minus the churros was gluten-free. LOL. I feel like if I'd asked about some of the other things they could have been (like, I'm pretty sure the chateau briande (sp?) on that Lumiere's menu could have been GF with some modification either to its sauce or a side, but I was ok with the sirloin). I just tried to go as easy as possible.

It's a walk down, but you *could* always walk (or tram) down to SB and get the steak then come back and eat in Cookies. :)

Which night was the Captain's Gala? Thanks! :)

We were also on this cruise, Captains Gala dinner was Thursday.

The rain was awful on Monday and Tuesday, we knew we weren't planning to get off the ship in Cozumel or Grand Cayman, but we only got about an hour at Satellite Falls on Tuesday before the skies opened. We were stuck and finally made a run for it and got drenched. We had no idea there was a tropical depression either!

We did Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica and had a blast, but boy it was crowded, 5 ships on the island that day. In spite of the crowds my 9 yr old Grandson loved climbing up the falls, he will never forget it :) My granddaughter was shivering beyond belief, so her memories may be different.

On 9/23,, I can attest to the fact the MDR's all were solid with food and delivery. One in our party asked on Wednesday to have a special meal prepared for the following evening. I mean a very specific off the menu plate. When it showed up Thursday, well it floored us. It was outstanding too. We had the opportunity to think the Head Chef the next evening when our paths crossed. He was shopping for a DCL magnet for his car at home. So,, Best we've had on 150+ days of cruising.

This first-timer will try to answer. :smooth:

We were on the Western Caribbean trip that had a tropical depression (now Hurricane Nate) on our first two port stops. I would have never known there was a tropical depression if it wasn't for the locals informing us when we were at Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Now I know Disney can't control the weather... but they could have at least informed us about it. The forecast for both days was "Overcast"...you should have seen the sideways rain and blowing wind at both ports.:rolleyes2 I feel like Disney's wonderful upbeat atmosphere was a little too positive about the weather situation. I just wish they were more upfront about it so that we could have better prepared our expectations.

We were also on the cruise. Yeah, the weather kind of stunk the first 2 days at ports, but I had watched the weather forecast starting 10 days before the cruise they were predicting 80% chance of rain on almost every day so we lucked out. This is my 4th Halloween cruise in 4 years and unfortunately when you cruise the "tropics" during hurricane season rain is to be expected. Two years ago it rained so bad my only pair of sneakers got ruined and I didn't have a spare pair so now I always pack 2 pairs of sneakers.

Dug720 is pretty much spot on. Dinners were my favorite and the easiest. Now they can't do everything on the menu gf, but there is usually one gf meal and then several that can be altered. I typically went with the gf meal because it was the option I liked best.

Breakfast in Cabanas was easy. Tons of fruit, eggs, meats, yogurts...
Lunch was the hardest meal, but there were still options. I ordered a gf pizza one day and then just picked at the stuff on the other days. Honestly, I was so full from breakfast, that I didn't need much lunch.
My server at dinner ordered my meal for lunch at Castaway Cay...I had a hamburger with gf bread AND grilled mahi-mahi. Plenty of food! And it was good.

We were also on the cruise. Yeah, the weather kind of stunk the first 2 days at ports, but I had watched the weather forecast starting 10 days before the cruise they were predicting 80% chance of rain on almost every day so we lucked out. This is my 4th Halloween cruise in 4 years and unfortunately when you cruise the "tropics" during hurricane season rain is to be expected. Two years ago it rained so bad my only pair of sneakers got ruined and I didn't have a spare pair so now I always pack 2 pairs of sneakers.

We check the weather in the Caribbean before leaving too. That depression has been in the news for quite some time. Since our Dec 2 cruise has changed to a Western, a lot of us had been watching that storm. Plus, don't they put the next days weather prediction on the front of the navigator the night before? I know they did on our last Med cruise. Up in the top right hand corner of the front page was the forecast for the next day at whichever port you would be at. I know the ships will often sail around storms. But if the storm is at a port, there isn't much they can do.

We check the weather in the Caribbean before leaving too. That depression has been in the news for quite some time. Since our Dec 2 cruise has changed to a Western, a lot of us had been watching that storm. Plus, don't they put the next days weather prediction on the front of the navigator the night before? I know they did on our last Med cruise. Up in the top right hand corner of the front page was the forecast for the next day at whichever port you would be at. I know the ships will often sail around storms. But if the storm is at a port, there isn't much they can do.

Yes, the predictions on the Navigator for both days was "Overcast". And I'm an avid follower of Spaghetti Models .com and there was no mention of a tropical depression when we left. We left port 11 days ago, so it probably seems like it has been quite some time since you've heard about it.

If the locals knew it was Day 3 of a tropical depression, seems like Disney would know it as well. I just wish they could have been more upfront about the weather. I would have packed differently that morning at the port.

We were on the same sailing, and we're also gluten free. GF at Castaway Cay was pretty good. We preordered the night before. They had a rotisserie chicken and baked potato that was really good. And the tomato salad was excellent!

We also ate at Remy for brunch, and the food there was absolutely amazing. If you had said the words "green pea ice cream" to me before we sailed, I'd ahve looked at you like you had two heads. But it was really wonderful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter