Just off Oasis on RCCL--Kids Club Comparison

hart6066

DIS Veteran
We just got off the Oasis and I just thought I'd share some thoughts on RCCL kids club. While the Oasis is a GREAT ship for kids (all in all I think I like it better for a 7 day cruise with my age kids DD7 DS10), the kids club is a HUGE difference--and not for the better, IMO.

We travelled with extended family on Oasis, and just the 4 of us on the Dream. It would have been very hard for DH and me to do anything alone on the Oasis if Nana hadn't been there and staying in kids' room! The kids clubs close at 10pm, and after that you need to pay a charge of $6/hour PER KID and the activities and feeling can't hold a candle to DCL.

On DCL (just recently, so kids were basically the same age) both kids basically lived in the Lab. They liked doing some of the group activities, but also loved the quiet smaller group projects and the video games. They begged to stay as long as possible and on the last night DD curled up on cushions watching a movie past midnight! The counselors on DCL also seemed so into the kids and seemed like camp counselors--kids loved them.

On RCCL, the rooms are smaller (not linked like Club and Lab) and not as visually appealing. There is also a set schedule of activities that they run through during their scheduled hours. Everything is much more scheduled--DD said she didn't like it because it felt too much like school!! She said they needed to do certain activities at certain times, needed to line up, were told to be quiet, etc. DS liked it more, but only during the activities he liked. A couple of times we went to go in, he found out the activity, and he asked to leave and come back once it was over. There was very little, if anything, to do if you didn't like the organized activity.

If DH and I had been on the cruise alone, we never could have gone out after dinner like we did on DCL--younger daughter didn't like clubs, and the late night extra charge sessions seemed to have very little going on.

Some kids may prefer the added structure, but I think DD got the feel of the place when she said it felt like school--kids might like the activities, but you had to do what they scheduled at that time. Counselors also really didn't seem to want to be there. I heard a lot of them sounding frustrated and annoyed with the kids--nothing nasty, but just not into it.

That being said, in general Oasis was a GREAT kids boat (especially for the over 6 age group), but I thought it was worth posting just how different the kids clubs are.

If you primarily cruise Disney because of the kids clubs, I'd be wary about changing lines. If your kids aren't that into the kids clubs anyway, and you have extended family going that can babysit for some date nights, I'd HIGHLY recommend Oasis.

Just thought I'd share because I had heard great things about the RCCL clubs, but they were just SO different from DCL, again IMO.

Happy to answer any other questions about Oasis as well!

Thank you for posting your experience. We have toyed with going in oasis or allure, but it's the kids club reviews that are holding us back.

Thanks for your telling about your family's experiences with the clubs. My kids are 10 and 14 right now, so the Oasis may be in our cruisng future, as we may branch out from DCL.

Thanks for the info. I have cruised RCCL before at concierge level (girls only trip for our 40th) and it was fantastic. I really want to experience Oasis, but for now (as I've stated before without even knowing the differences you posted) we will stay with DCL for our kids. I think they just really cater to them -- and you confirmed it!

Thank you for your post. We have sailed on the Explorer and Oasis, then twice on the Magic. My son was 4 on EOTS, 6 on OOTS, and 7 on both Magic sailings (yes, he lives a charmed life). He has been in full time daycare/pre-school since he was 6 months old, but still transitions slowly, although he makes new friends very easily (he says that his "special talent" is making new best friends, wherever he goes). I found that he enjoyed the kids programs initially on RCL, but that he needed increasing levels of encouragement to go, as the cruise(s) progressed. Sharp contrast to DCL - had to essentially BEG him to leave the Lab to spend some time with me! He said that he loved the fact that he could select his own activities. I also think that the continous Club/Lab hours (versus 3-hour blocks) worked much better, for him. We will stick with DCL for a while...

I completely agree with the original poster. We just got off the Freedom of the Seas, which I had booked because of the Dreamworks Experience and similarities to DCL.

We had a lot of fun. The entertainment was equal to or even better than DCL and the pool areas were superior. Food and service were comparable. Our oceanview cabin was okay, but not quite as nice as DCL. Disney ships are just more pristine.

Our biggest disappointment was the kids' club. DD (age 7) has always said that the kids' club is her favourite thing on DCL. When we were on the Dream in March she begged to go every day. On Freedom, the space was uninspiring, and there were few activities. The kids all had to do the same thing at the same time in a circle. There didn't seem to be enough staff (one day there were 40 kids and 2 staff - 1 of whom was doing check out). The hours were annoying, and reduced the flexibiity - closing from 12 -2 and over dinner, unless previously booked. We couldn't even find Adventure Ocean on Cocoa Cay (they had moved it & not changed the signs/map). When we finally found it, it was closed, although the Compass had indicated that it wasn't closing. The staff were pleasant enough, but the activities and environment lacked pizzaz. The pirate parade was her most enjoyed activity. The characters are done much better on Disney - the Madagascar characters were fun, but there were no autographs (just picture opportunities) & less interaction. Definitely no spontaneous interaction. The character breakfast seemed poorly organized. Needless to say, I had little adult only time, but lots of fun engaging my daughter in activities around the ship. (Oh and boy did I miss the servers cutting up my daughter's food!)

While it was a great cruise, I find it interesting that my 7 year old says that the shows & excursions were her most enjoyable moments.

RCI seemed to offer lots for teens, and there were lots of extended families aboard. For younger children, DCL will remain my favourite.

Thanks for the post. We have always wondered about the kids club on other cruise lines. We have 6 year old twin DDs and have sailed on Disney twice with a third booked and a couple others in the works. Just like the previous posters, our girls loved going to the Club/Lab. They would beg to go.

So...thanks again for posting about other cruise lines. I would hate to go on another cruise and all of us be a little disappointed with the kids club.

Thanks!!!:cool2:

Thanks for posting. We went on our first DCL cruise this summer and the kids clubs are what made the vacation for us! Our kids don't do well during long dinners so on 3 out of 5 nights we fed them before and had them in the kids clubs while DH and I had a leisurely dinner.

Not having kids clubs open during meal times is a deal breaker for us! And from what I've researched, most of the other cruise lines have much more limited kids club hours.

Thanks for the post. I loved the Fantasy but my kids didn't spend a lot of time in the clubs at all. We have the Oasis booked for next summer so it's good to read that you thought it's great for kids. I was already expecting them to not go to the clubs after our experience on Disney.

I also have to agree with the OP about the club differences. We sailed on Adventure of the Seas, and while we loved the ship and ports, the clubs in no way compare to DCL. My daughter (8 at the time) went every night and did have a good time, but there are far more activities with Disney.

It was tough to do things after 10pm as the clubs do close and the fee to stay in crazy (IMO). But I do love Royal Caribbean and dont have anything bad to say about them. We will be sticking with Disney until my dd's are older...or if we decide to do Alaska (cant afford to do it on Disney:sad1:)

My daughter didn't go to the kids club on the Magic once so it's not so important to us. We'll do a cruise on the Fantasy in 2013 but between then (and likely afterwards) we'll be checking some other lines. We're going with a group of kids ranging from 4-16 next summer - and DCL was never even an option. Just not enough for the older kids IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter