Just Off Fantasy

We also got off the Fantasy on NY EVE. My observations (Fantasy cruise, 12/24-12/31, Eastern). Sorry about the long post.

The ship was packed. We had never seen the ship this crowded even before the pandemic. I was given estimates of 3800 on board. So much so that my son said there were over 50 in the 18-20 club. The Edge was so packed my other son gave up by the second day trying to do anything with the club.

Dining was out of sync. We had this issue with our June cruise and with this cruise. What was explained to us this cruise and in June is that most experienced wait staff went to the Wish, so the servers are "newer" and Disney can't get any replacement staff trained fast enough. Dinner on Christmas was a special dinner (I asked in an earlier post and it matched the response in the post). This Christmas dinner replaced the "Pirate" night dinner. The weird thing for us was our dinning rotation doubled the first 2 days. We have had back-to-back nights before, just not the first 2 nights.

We also experienced differences in dining surrounding the food and such and it was explained due to logistics and availability. Meals we remembered one way were now different, substituted ingredients. One example is the Chicken Schnitzel, it was half the size from the June cruise. Also the Animator's Palette butter knife is now gone.

But to us the big dining deal was the elimination of the Pirate Night buffet. What was explained was that meals were made for 3000 guests and only 500 actually ate and most guests have little ones who would go straight to bed. I was told if a guest was hungry enough, Mater's Grill was open. This happened in the past month or so.

Shopping was very limited. There was an exclusive white Merry Time Cruise T and Hoody that was just ok in the shops. We got to CC early hoping to get some items that were sold out during our June cruise. But we didn't find anything to our liking. Sizes were missing or just the same items as previous cruises. So ship and CC merch was the same to us.

Being a Christmas sailing we did receive an exclusive Disney print. It is very nice. The authenticity card says that ~5000 were made.

Captain was Michele Intartaglia, Trent was the Cruise Director.

Shows were the standard Frozen, Aladdin and Believe. All shows were packed! Even the 1:00 showings. Movies were Avatar (even in the big theater), Black Panther, Strange World and Lightyear (from what I remember). There were more but they were the ones we saw. The sea day Black Panther afternoon show was at capacity, so we couldn't see it.

The weather was beautiful all week, 80's, but the water was very cold. So cold on CC we barely went in the water. We left PA during the 12/22 rain deluge (before the hard freeze). When we got on the ship (12/24) it was ~30 degrees F. We were wearing coats and hats on the pool deck during sail away. But there were the die-hards riding the Aqueduct (LOL). We were 11:15 group 5 PAT but boarding was delayed by .5 hour. So we boarded at 11:45.

Also for us this was the first time we did a GTY reservation. We got cabin 2522. We never had a Porthole cabin and we loved it. For us being on deck 2 was a little secret! We were close to dining, the atrium, the shops, theater, disembarking. The downfall is being far from Cabanas. But we would get an elevator on 2 and nobody would be on it! We were used to balcony rooms, but the porthole room didn't diminish our experience. One big plus is the temperature. Opening the balcony door would play havoc with the temperature/humidity of the cabin. Here we didn't have to worry about that.

We did Cane Garden Bay in Tortola, St John's during our St Thomas stop and CC. We noticed at CGB and St Johns that all transportation prices went up. So if you are planning any self excursions expect to pay more that may have been reported. We also mentioned this at Trunk Bay (St Johns ) and they said that admission probably will go up soon.

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year.

I've heard others say they prefer late dining because they don't want to feel rushed, but don't you have to rush if you want to see the first show?
You do have to rush if it is a port day and you took an excursion that comes back late to get to the show, but if there is not a show after dinner, dinner can take all night.

This should be an exception. The formal night was the second night and very few were dressed. Many more were dressed for NYE. I get it the rest of the year, but NYE is NYE!
I understand what you are saying... but what if YOURS is the 1 family who experiences a delay in receiving your bags and can't dress formal with no other official "formal" night scheduled?

I'm kind of surprised DCL didn't adjust the schedule to avoid boarding on NYE (or Christmas Eve); they have often adjusted late December and early January itineraries presumably to avoid embarkations on those dates. Maybe with more ships and so many more scheduled stops at CC they no longer have the flexibility to play with schedules.

845 pickup. At port by 10:30. Among first in terminal and on ship by 12. Very very smooth.
Seems like there was some amount of waiting around at the terminal? Also, any idea if you able to see the Navigator while waiting for your turn to board?

I understand what you are saying... but what if YOURS is the 1 family who experiences a delay in receiving your bags and can't dress formal with no other official "formal" night scheduled?

I'm kind of surprised DCL didn't adjust the schedule to avoid boarding on NYE (or Christmas Eve); they have often adjusted late December and early January itineraries presumably to avoid embarkations on those dates. Maybe with more ships and so many more scheduled stops at CC they no longer have the flexibility to play with schedules.
We spent most of the Christmas Eve meal (first dinner) tracking down a missing bag. No one could seem to find it. Thankfully, formal night was Christmas Day, but I definitely see your point about missing bags messing up plans. It would have been much worse tracking down that back on Christmas/Formal night or New Year's Eve/Formal Night. That said, dressing up for New Year's is fun. It is a shame it did not work out as the formal night.

There was a special Christmas dinner menu. There were also services some denominations, like catholic (Mass) and couple others. Santa and Mrs. Claus were out on Christmas morning, which was neat, but I am pretty sure they were out during Merrytime cruises I've taken in the past as well. While there were likely other events, my family and I took it really easy and did not attend much in the beginning. Due to being quarantined for Covid, I did not attend anything in the second half of the cruise.
I hope you are feeling better. Do you think you got sick on the first cruise or the 2nd? Do you remember
what day of cruise you started feeling bad? What made you suspect you had Covid? My friend was on this
same cruise and said she saw lot of coughing/sneezing. However no one in her family got sick.

Glad the rest of your family testing negative! Some nasty bugs going around. Hope you are resting. :)

I hope you are feeling better. Do you think you got sick on the first cruise or the 2nd? Do you remember
what day of cruise you started feeling bad? What made you suspect you had Covid? My friend was on this
same cruise and said she saw lot of coughing/sneezing. However no one in her family got sick.

Glad the rest of your family testing negative! Some nasty bugs going around. Hope you are resting. :)
Thanks, just went to the Doctor today, and it traveled to my lungs. I'm not doing well, but I hope the meds will help. On the first cruise, I had a slight sore throat and a small cough. Don't remember which day it started (probably day 2 or even 3), but I remember having a migraine on day 4 (the sea day), and I never left the room. Migraine persisted the day between the cruises. There was a one day gap where we tried to do Kennedy Space Center but left very early because my head hurt too bad. I get headaches often due to constricted blood vessels in my brain, but I do not get migraines often. That should have been a red flag, but I was oblivious. When the migraine went away (just about the time I was boarding the Fantasy), my throat was not even sore. Not that a sore throat for me means sickness as my severe allergies can cause it to get irritated.

I still had a small cough, which I sometimes have when I am not sick at all due to the severe allergies. Assumed it was either my allergies or something non-contagious, because no one in my stateroom had any symptoms at all, and I figured Covid was highly contagious. By day 3, my throat was sore again. This time, the coughing was getting worse. It wasn't until Day 4 when I coughed for about 30 seconds straight and could not stop that I finally told myself, you're sick. Get tested before you get other people sick, so I went to medical for a test right after that coughing fit. They did a quick test, which was positive and confirmed with a PCR test. Then, they were going to go to my room to test my family, but my concerned husband had already made it down to the medical bay.

They tested him. Negative. He texted my kids to come down. Both also negative. I have no idea how long I was walking around with Covid before I actually tested, but both Doctors (saw a regular Dr and the infectious disease Dr on board) think they would have been positive if I had it that whole time. My family had to continue testing everyday of the cruise (as they were moved to a different room and not quarantined). They never got it. I am glad they had a room to move them to and they were able to finish the cruise. I was also glad I got to rest (enforced quarantine), as I was spent and did not want to get anyone sick anyway. Well, anyone else (assuming I did not get anyone sick before I found out I was positive).

I saw/heard quite a few people coughing/sneezing as well for the first half of the cruise as I pretty much only interacted with room service the second half of the cruise. I also saw this on the first cruise. I flew home the first day I was clear to fly (according to CDC rules for Covid positive people) and there was a man in first class who coughed the whole way home. My husband was going to order us first class tickets and I told him to save the money. Glad he did. Covid plus whatever he was spreading (not wearing a mask, like I was) would have been a double whammy!

Anyway, I hope I did not get anyone sick, but I may have since I do not know how long I actually had Covid before the positive test and how much of my sore throat/cough/headache was allergy/weather change/stress related.

What did you think of Moonshot? Bad, terrible, or worst cruise entertainment ever?
We saw their show onboard the first part of November. They were way better that I probably expected, and I'm sure as good as any other group performing that type of entertainment. However everyone I spoke with about it indicated that once was fine but they wouldn't seek out another show.

Another comment I have from last week is that getting off the ship was the worst one I've experienced so be careful if you have an early flight. The exact guest count was 3746 and they had get this 2 custom officers working so you do the math. We lined up in the atrium after the first seating breakfast and it took an hour to get through. Stopped twice (once at gangway) and then before the luggage pickup in the terminal because they were so backed up.

Day 1: sailor
Day 2: Formal (but Minnie and Mickey not in their formal but in their plaids)
Day 3: casual Christmas sweaters
Day 4: pirates
Day 5: classic
Day 6: during the day casual Christmas, at night Ducks and munks formal, Mice christmas plaid, Santa Goofy and Pluto with a Christmas collar and after storytime with Mrs Claus Christmas sweaters
Day 7: on CC beach wear, late afternoon and early night sailor and sea Ya real soon Christmas sweaters

This was so helpful. Honestly thank you

Most likely because New Years Eve was embarkation day. DCL never does a special dress or costume night on embarkation because luggage doesn’t always get delivered (usually but not always) in time for early/main dinner.
This isn't true. When we sailed the Magic over New Year's, embarkation day was New Year's and that was also the formal night.

We saw their show onboard the first part of November. They were way better that I probably expected, and I'm sure as good as any other group performing that type of entertainment. However everyone I spoke with about it indicated that once was fine but they wouldn't seek out another show.
It all depends on which singers you get. The group we had on the EB PC in November 2021 on the Wonder were absolutely fabulous. The group who did the Nov 12th 22 VMCC were 'so so". I'm willing to bet they change weekly since they are CM's directly from the parks.

Another comment I have from last week is that getting off the ship was the worst one I've experienced so be careful if you have an early flight. The exact guest count was 3746 and they had get this 2 custom officers working so you do the math. We lined up in the atrium after the first seating breakfast and it took an hour to get through. Stopped twice (once at gangway) and then before the luggage pickup in the terminal because they were so backed up.
I agree. I heard so many people saying how bad it was getting off the ship. We grabbed a guy to help with our luggage. So glad we did. He said lately there has been a total of 8 custom agents but only 2 agents are actually doing the checks. He says he never knows what the other 6 are doing. Also, write before customs, there are two lines. Our luggage guy knew this. The people standing in the other line didn't even know there were 2 lines and one reason for that is that the Disney person was too far up to direct people.

Would like to add, don't bring Visa gift cards. I was told there were accepted only in gift shops. They are not. Tried to use them towards our on board accounts at guest services. We had 4 Visa gift cards. Two $50 and two $100. Everytime I tried the $50 ones, it wasn't accepted. Manager said DCL considered a "floating hotel" and tax is applied. So we had to keep decreasing amount of $50 gift card till accepted and that was at $43. So, I lost $14. Then tried with $100. We were at $90 and still wasn't being accepted and then I gave up. I wasn't going to loose $20 plus dollars in tax to use them.

When arriving via DCL transport, does PAT matter? My check-in is approaching and wondering if I need to rush to get a PAT?
Not at all. I'm staying Deluxe at a WDW resort, checked in a day late (DCL website large unresponsive at midnight- 30 days out), using DCL transport, and got Group 3

I agree. I heard so many people saying how bad it was getting off the ship. We grabbed a guy to help with our luggage. So glad we did. He said lately there has been a total of 8 custom agents but only 2 agents are actually doing the checks. He says he never knows what the other 6 are doing. Also, write before customs, there are two lines. Our luggage guy knew this. The people standing in the other line didn't even know there were 2 lines and one reason for that is that the Disney person was too far up to direct people.
I blame some of that on the passengers not having docs ready. When we got off the WISH Friday there were only 3 agents and the line never stopped moving. We had breakfast (6:45), got in the line, stopped and grabbed our luggage in the terminal and were at our car at 7:40...

I blame some of that on the passengers not having docs ready. When we got off the WISH Friday there were only 3 agents and the line never stopped moving. We had breakfast (6:45), got in the line, stopped and grabbed our luggage in the terminal and were at our car at 7:40...
When we got to customs agent, all he did was look at our passports. Didn't look at custom form, didn't ask for it. The guy who was helping us with our luggage pointed to a room where someone he works with (with luggage) was in a room with a family who lost passport. So, they're shuffled off to the side. Dave, the guy helping with luggage, said that was the second time his co-worker ended up in that room because of lost passport/documents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter