Just off Disney Wonder - Alaska

My husband and I were wondering about Alaska with kids that age (we have 7 and 4 too). We were on the inaugural Alaska Disney sailings and thought that the kids were too young for some of the excursions (float plane etc). Did both kids go on the excursions you mentioned?

Not the OP, but we were on the May sailing with our almost 7-year olds and thought our excursion experiences might be of some help. We did the Misty Fjord float plane tour and both of our kids fell asleep, LOL. I guess they found it very peaceful. Some other passengers that we met on the cruise were on the flight just before us and they said their kids fell asleep, too. That said, this was my DH's most memorable excursion and was a bucket-list item. Our kids enjoyed the canoe trip to Mendenhall Glacier and ziplining in Skagway. But their favorite activity of all, which came as a surprise to me, as I had booked this more for myself, was the Jewell Gardens Glassblowing Experience in Skagway. They LOVED this and still talk about it all the time. Your 4-year old might be too young (but maybe not), but if you book it independently, you only have to pay for the people who want to blow glass. Anyone can attend and watch.

We are looking at a DCL Alaskan cruise for August 2020. Just curious as to what the weather was like for you, while in port and during sea days. Thanks!

Do you think it was worth doing the Alaskan cruise with Disney. Other cruise lines are so less expensive. We said Disney almost every year because we love Cast Away Cay. Never been on another cruiseline, but we are considering it for Alaska. So do you think it was worth the Disney price to go to Alaska with Disney?

We are looking at a DCL Alaskan cruise for August 2020. Just curious as to what the weather was like for you, while in port and during sea days. Thanks!
We went August 12 this year and the weather was really nice - we only needed a warm sweater or light jacket most of the days. We were told that it was the warmest summer they have had. We were only a bit cold on the Dawes glacier excursion because we were outside on the boat for most of the time.
Do you think it was worth doing the Alaskan cruise with Disney. Other cruise lines are so less expensive. We said Disney almost every year because we love Cast Away Cay. Never been on another cruiseline, but we are considering it for Alaska. So do you think it was worth the Disney price to go to Alaska with Disney?
We have only done cruises with DCL - 3 of them - 2 Caribbean and Alaska. We thought DCL was worth it for Alaska because our DS8 had a great time at the kids club, movies, shows and characters on sea days and when we just hanging out around the ship. We are doing a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Mediterranean next summer because DCL is twice as much for the same length of cruise but we anticipate it being a very port intensive trip.

We will be cruising to Alaska in May on the Wonder and would love to know the best excursions. My DH and I will be platinum by the cruise and want to have a good idea of what to book when our booking window opens. This will be our 32nd wedding anniversary so want to make it special and fun! Any suggestions will be much appreciated!!!

We will be cruising to Alaska in May on the Wonder and would love to know the best excursions. My DH and I will be platinum by the cruise and want to have a good idea of what to book when our booking window opens. This will be our 32nd wedding anniversary so want to make it special and fun! Any suggestions will be much appreciated!!!
Not the OP, but I would recommend two things.

1. Search these forums for excursion recommendations. For instance, there was just a thread in the last week about Juneau.

2. I’d suggest making your own thread where you give some more information about what interests you. Are you looking for active adventures like zip lining? How do you feel about helicopters or small planes? Are there any budgetary restrictions? Ages and mobility of participants? The options in alas are vast and it’s hard to make general recommendations without knowing some of these things.

We are going in May as well with daughters 16 and 13. I’ve searched the forum and these seem to be the most recommended excursions:

Scagway
  • White pass railway
  • Chilkoot charters bus
  • Dog cart ride
  • Rent car and drive up to emerald lake
  • adventure park zip line excursion.
  • Helicopter/Dogsledding on a Glacier package directly through Temsco
Juneau
  • Helicopter/Dogsledding on a Glacier package directly through Coastal Helicopters (MOST RECOMMENDED but $$$)
  • whale watching with Harv and Marv
  • whale watching tour booked privately through Jayleen's Alaska.
  • large aerial tramway in Juneau that takes you up Mt. Roberts
Ketchikan
  • Misty Fjords flightseeing tour via Island Wing
  • Island wings floatplane
  • Bearing sea fisherman crab
  • Floatplane bear tour
  • ziplining in the Tongass National Forest.
  • best port for shopping

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter