just magic kingdom for 3 and 1 year old?

hannymom

Mouseketeer
we will be at disney for a week this fall when my granddaughters will be just turning 3 and just turning 1. we are looking forward to the magic kingdom. my question is, is it worth it to go to the other parks with the little ones? do you think there is enough to do for them?

we will be at disney for a week this fall when my granddaughters will be just turning 3 and just turning 1. we are looking forward to the magic kingdom. my question is, is it worth it to go to the other parks with the little ones? do you think there is enough to do for them?
MK is the Mecca for that age range. Only you know your family, what are their likes and dislikes. The other park I would suggest is AK if they love animals, AK also has a really cool play area. Epcot doesn't really have anything geared toward that age group other than the aquarium and Nemo ride. DHS has Disney Jr. show and the Disney Jr. characters if they love that. But you can't go wrong with one or better yet, multiple days at MK for them

We are going for a week with a 2 year old and infant and doing
- 2 mornings DHS
- 1 morning Epcot
- 3 mornings MK
-1 mkrning AK

and we have park hoppers so we plan to hop in evenings back to MK or if in MK in morning then somewhere else.

We went when my 2 year okd was 18 months and were pleasantly surprised how much we liked non-MK parks.

Epcot- Frozen Ever After, Nemo ride, Turtle Talk, Garden Grill character meal, great for walking WS during a stroller nap

DHS- looking forward to the toy story rides, cars show, little mermaid show, frozen show, beauty and the beast show, Hollywood and vine meal

AK- triceratops spin, lion king show, safari ride, nemo show, animal trails, tusker house meal (also navi ride but we hated that haha)

Yes Mk has the most to do but don’t count out the other parks! Park hoppers are your friend here! You can make FP+ for some days in other parks for the popular rides like toy story and frozen and then hop back to MK when you get bored! I would not do a full week of MK only!

My kid is 4. We went at 18 months, three, and four years.
We’ve done all four parks most trips (except late 2019 - we skipped DHS to avoid the SWGE crowds). We typically do two and a half days MK, half day AK (she likes the Safari but there’s otherwise not much for her to ride there), a day at Epcot (Akershus, Frozen, Turtle Talk, Gran Fiesta, and she endures while we putz around World Showcase), and DHS if the crowds aren’t terrible.
We try to do a lot of character meet and greets and meals. She’s just now starting to be able to sit through the shows (enchanted tales, lion king).
If it were me, I’d leave at least two days for MK and then prioritize based on what you’re interested in and the projected crowds. As an example, kiddo loves Toy Story Land but we skipped DHS last time and will skip it next time because of the projected crowds.

All of the parks are great at that age. As long as you go with a stroller and laid back idea of what the days will look like. Plus, if the kiddoes fall asleep in the stroller (mine were never really stroller nappers but that changed on vacation) you are free to tour adult stuff while they nap. At that age my kids loved all sorts of things I could never predict like the Jaminators band, the trains in Epcot, the Toy Story theming and the dinosaur lake in Hollywood Studios, the animals and Dinoland in Animal Kingdom. Of course there's lots to see and do in Magic Kingdom but it ended up not being my kids' favourite park when they were little.

MK is the Mecca for that age range. Only you know your family, what are their likes and dislikes. The other park I would suggest is AK if they love animals, AK also has a really cool play area. Epcot doesn't really have anything geared toward that age group other than the aquarium and Nemo ride. DHS has Disney Jr. show and the Disney Jr. characters if they love that. But you can't go wrong with one or better yet, multiple days at MK for them

Epcot was a favorite of my kids when they were that age. I hate the Figment ride, but it was very appropriate for them them, and the play area and fountains afterwards was enjoyed by them.
The frozen ride is pretty decent for that age group, and spaceship Earth was actually one of their favorite rides when they were in that age range.

Not a full day park, but it was a good change of pace from MK.

I would definitely hit AK. When mine were that age they could have lived in The Boneyard. And I would probably make some time for epcot as well. Nemo was my oldests favorite ride at that age and Epcot has (had?) awesome fountains for the kids to play in. I would probably skip DHS unless they are big toy story fans. I dont think there's much else for the little kids there and it might not be worth the hassle.

thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your valuable information and experiences!!

Epcot is my favorite, although it’s a mess right now, so I would never skip it. So we’ve always gone there and the kids have found things they like. It’s a nice change of pace if you want to slow down. We love strolling though World Showcase and the kids love getting different snacks! They also love the Nemo ride. There are also characters in the countries if they are into character meets. I personally would not do a whole week of MK.

If the 3 year old is into characters, there are sooo many at Epcot, so it’s a good excuse to check out World Showcase (only place to meet Mulan, Anna & Elsa, plus Belle in blue dress, Aurora, Snow White, Jasmine, Mary Poppins, Alice, Winnie the Pooh, Ralph & Vanelope, Joy for Inside Out, plus Minnie, Mickey, Goofy, Pluto, Donald-some of these are in future world too)

At that age we did MK and Epcot. Frozen ride at Epcot is awesome, and we also had a good time on three caballeros, nemo, crush, living with the land and spaceship earth, plus just exploring a lot. We spent ages in the aquarium and the little playgrounds, the maze in England, and the miniature train village near Germany. Plus easy for mom and dad to grab something nice to eat and drink from a stall and take in the pretty scenery. Much less exhausting than MK all the time.

I'm very much a 4-parks kinda guy... even with toddlers.

• Epcot
    • Anna and Elsa
    • Frozen Ride
    • Akershus Princess dining
    • Seas with Nemo and friends and a great aquarium activity center
    • Mulan
    • Duffy (? it's been a while)
    • Belle, Snow White, Aurora
  • Hollywood Studios
    • Muppets
    • Toy Story Land filled with toddler stuff.
    • Little Mermaid live singing thing
    • Frozen Sing-a-Long
    • Olaf
    • Beauty and Beast live performance
  • Animal Kingdom
    • Soooooo many animals and guided animal activities!
    • A Bird show!
    • Lion King show
    • Finding Nemo musical show
    • Pocahontas
And I'm glossing over so much, and to be honest, depending on your kiddos, you can half-day some of this but there's really a ton of fun to be had outside of MK.

All the parks have enjoyable stuff for littles, as others have said. Because I like to go slow with toddlers (and my husband needs to go slow just as much as them LOL), I often don't do every park every trip. My upcoming trip is 5 days and we are doing MK 3 days and HS 2 days. Last year we went for 4 days, but had park hoppers, and did every park but AK. I've also had trips where I just did MK and AK or MK and Epcot. If you are going for a whole week, you have time to try everything!

are the girls into Disney Jr? cause those characters are only at Hollywood Studios

We just got back from a trip with a 21 month old. MK is fun but the problem is there isn't much room for them to run around. My kiddo was not a big fan of the stroller, so he got tired of either being in a stroller or on rides. Epcot and AK had much more room for him to run and explore. I know Epcot has all of the construction, but he loved the aquarium, imagination fountains, playground and land ride.

Personally, I think MK is enough for a 1 and 3 year old. I first took our daughter when she was 3 and just spent 2 full days at MK. This gave us plenty of time to ride all the rides and see the park in its entirety. However, depending how long you'll be there, AK would be a good 2nd option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter