Just Got Back--Quick Trip Report

boxer

DIS Veteran
DVC Platinum
Just back from a Grand Floridian DVC trip from 11/5 to 11/15 report:

Grand Floridian/DVC: Simply awesome resort. Our first time staying as a DVC Member, and at our home resort. I kinda questioned dropping that type of money on DVC, but after staying I do NOT regret even one penny spent. This is a whole different feel to a trip, and so much more relaxed. I loved everything about the GFV, and actually liked caring for the room ourselves (no daily maid service)--make it feel like 'our' home. The resort itself is simply awesome. Never thought we would ever like to stay there--now I question if we will ever be able to stay anywhere else, lol

Construction: Literally everywhere. A lot of it. Downtown Disney looks like a bomb was dropped right in the middle of it. I like to 'think' I keep up on Disney happenings, but I will be honest that I didn't know even half the projects they had going on until we got there.

Crowds: We are a week later than our usual time, and to say it was busier would be an understatement. Not sure what the h#ll was going on, but it was so much more crowded than usual. Seems like the 1/2 Marathon, Jersey Week, and Veterans Day really amped-up the crowd level. The week of 11/10 it slowed down a bit, but picked right back up on Thursday and Friday.

Fastpass +: I hate to even bring up this topic, as I think it is played out too much on this board-----but I want newbies to know that it isn't 'all' bad of a plan. Maybe because we stayed so long as DVC (we were more relaxed pace), but I really liked knowing that we would at least ride our 'favorite' attractions each day. We are not all-day type park goers anyhow, so this plan really works for us. I was able to change most reservations the day-of, and get times at night that worked perfect for us.

Resturants: Wow are they moving faster now than even last year! We were seated within a couple minutes of our reservation time, and out the door in less than 45min. I know most people don't like this fast pace, but I love it. This is obviously being done to get quicker turnover, and I really like the faster pace. We pretty much had our entree's within 10-15 minutes of ordering. Sci-Fi was even quicker, lol.

Tour Groups: Again, this is another topic that is played to death on here, so I won't say too much---other than there were more this year than I remember in the past 8 years we've been going this time of year--and that was not meant as a compliment, lol.

Magic Bands: My only compliant was still having to carry an ID with me for the DVC and Tables in Wonderland discounts. The whole idea of the Magic Bands is not needing to carry anything (which I LOVE). I can't understand why they can't like something up to the bands to show ID proof so you don't have to carry a Drivers License around with you all trip?

Seven Dwarfs: Not going to bash too much, but my god I would not wait more than 10minutes for this ride. Glad we FP+ this ride, and got on within 5minutes. Can't believe they debuted this against Gringotts (which we also got to ride)--it is not even close. Where is all this theming everyone was talking about?? As for the coaster itself, Thunder Mountain is a FAR better ride--coaster wise. Really not sure what Disney was doing here.

Phones: I understand that the FP+ has made it a necessity to carry phones at the parks, but do you really need to live behind that screen?!?! We were seated next to a couple that waited 90 MINUTES to ride SDMT, and instead of 'enjoying' the ride, they instead chose to tape it from their phones, lol. Not sure why people drop this type of money on a Disney trip, and choose to live behind that screen the entire trip. I'm not just talking about quick changes to FP+ while at the parks--I'm talking about being on that phone while walking, while in line, and then behind the screen during rides. To each his own, but I just don't understand why people can't just put that thing down once in awhile........

All-in-all a great trip, and excellent weather. Very happy with our DVC purchase, and the home resort we chose. Probably will back the trip up a week next year to hopefully miss some of these crowds--although I don't think October is really a 'slow' month anymore regardless..........

We were there 11/9 to 11/16, and we noticed a few of the same things...

-Crowds were definitely bigger. Especially on Saturday(the 15th). That was the only day the standby lines required some strategy. FP's sold out early for the big ones.

-FP+ was really no big deal, as you said. Did we ride less? Probably. Were we less stressed? Definitely.

-Table Service time was definitely less, which is generally a plus. However, it was a huge disadvantage at Akershus. Princesses had obviously been told to speed things along, but they were at our table less than 30 seconds each, and acted barely interested in my kids. Pretty disappointing.

NOTE....We didn't notice a single tour group all week. Must have just been running in different circles than you were. I actually noticed the LACK of them this time around.

We were there 11/9 to 11/16, and we noticed a few of the same things...

-Crowds were definitely bigger. Especially on Saturday(the 15th). That was the only day the standby lines required some strategy. FP's sold out early for the big ones.

-FP+ was really no big deal, as you said. Did we ride less? Probably. Were we less stressed? Definitely.

-Table Service time was definitely less, which is generally a plus. However, it was a huge disadvantage at Akershus. Princesses had obviously been told to speed things along, but they were at our table less than 30 seconds each, and acted barely interested in my kids. Pretty disappointing.

NOTE....We didn't notice a single tour group all week. Must have just been running in different circles than you were. I actually noticed the LACK of them this time around.

I might be over-sensitive to the Tour Group thing, since the first day we had an issue immediately, so I was basically on the lookout after that, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter