Just got back - a few observations (mostly positive)

space42

WDW Addict
I just got back from my trip Dec. 4 - 9. I have a few observations.

1. Parks were CLEAN as always. Did not notice ANY maintenance issues.

2. Cast members were helpful and seemed happy. I don't know how they do what they do, but they do it well :)

3. Big Hat at MGM. I didn't think that I would like this. Boy, it looks nice in person, especially at night! Everyone in my group liked it.

4. 100 years of magic banners in each park. These were a nice surprise at night. With all of the twinkling lights, they looked really cool.

5. "One Mans Dream" at MGM. This was FANTASTIC! I hope this attraction becomes permanent after the 100 YOM is over. Everyone should see this. The film part was very moving and well done.

6. Crowds. Seemed about normal for the beginning of December. Most E-Tickets had about a 10 minute wait. Saw a few 25 minute waits. Most other attractions were walk ons.

7. Walt's birthday. We had a nice toast at the lounge in the Wilderness Lodge. Our waiter got the crowds attention for our toast to Walt. Everyone at the bar cheered. We noticed a large yacht on Bay Lake that night. Can't say I have ever seen anything other than regular Disney Transport / water sprites on the lake. We were speculating if any VIP's were out boating that night. They also had a special fireworks display around 10pm. These were shot from the island between the poly and the magic kingdom.

8. Holliday decorations / cutbacks! I noticed several things that were not done this year as has been done years past. The Contemporary did not have the red and green lights on the side of the building. Also, the Wilderness Lodge did not have the train and little city in the lobby. There were a few other things I cannot remember off the top of my head.

9. Dinorama. Ick. Looks just like the pictures. What is worse is that it is the first thing you see as you enter Dinoland. Everyone in my group thought it looked tacky and out of place.

Overall I had a great trip. I had soooo much pixie dust it just might make me switch to car #2 or even car #1 :)

Thanks space42, I've been meaning to post with regard to the MGM hat. It really is quite cool & much better looking now that it is finished. I like it very much & while it's true that the theatre is blocked I think it makes a cool icon.
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

PS thanks for the update!

Rumor has it that the Big Amazing Hat won’t be blocking the theater for much longer.

The development that now includes the real Chinese theater on Hollywood Boulevard opened a month ago – shopping, lots of restaurants, and the theater which will be the new home for the Oscars are all included in the complex. To show you what the negotiations between the new owners of the Chinese Theater and Disney might be like, here’s a clue.

The first official function at the new complex was a tribute dinner for Jeffery Katzenberg (in Hollywood, reality is more unreal than fiction).

Voice, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a few months ago, when we had a "big hat" discussion it was your opinion that there was no ulterior motive for this action by Disney? If you recall in that thread I mis-stated :confused: that the theatre was owned by Universal and you corrected me...Anyway, the hat becomes even more understandable given your recent revelations...:eek:
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

Well it seems very apparent that the hat was used to "hide" the theater while they tear down the facade. What I'd like to know is if they are going to change the ride at the same time? It does seem like "The Great Movie Ride's" days are numbered. I think its ok as long as they replace it with something comparable. A "soarin'" clone or another film based attraction won't due. From what I understand, "The Great Movie Ride" is housed in one of the largest show buildings on property. This would give them the opportunity to create a large E-Ticket dark ride on the scale of Pirates or Mansion. Possibly with a ride system that rivals "Spiderman".

If we can dream it, we can do it!

What, me NOT attribute an ulterior move to an action by Eisner? Mr. Pirate, please check the bilge pump on your memory.

If I recall, the only other item I’ve posted about this issue is a “rumor” that’s been floating around the lot for a while. Disney owns the El Captain Theater (an relation, Mr. Pirate?) on Hollywood Boulevard. It’s across the street from Mann’s Chinese Theater. Disney’s dumped millions into the place and millions more in special premiers and film events in an attempt to make the place a tourist destination. The rumor is that Mr. Eisner is upset that he’s spending good money at the Disney/MGM Studios Theme Park to advertise the competition – and not his own El Cap.

Hence, instant icon until you can figure out what to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter