Just for fun... Resort prices in the old days

twinklebug

Home is where the heart is.
I was recently talking with my parents who remembered paying as little as $15/nt (campsite) back in the 70s for the Fort Wilderness campground. :rotfl:

Since we were campers, not hotel go-ers, I wondered how much resorts such as the Poly and Cont. went for waaaaaay back, back before the moderates were built, before personal computers ( :badpc: ), back before, eeek can I say it? .....Star Wars

If you remember or can pester anyone who would, tell me! I'm thinking $50?

1972.....My Dad & Mom trook us to the Poly and the pirce was $29/nite

My first trip was in 1974. The Cont. was $45 per night! It was just my mother and me. It was a spur of the moment trip. We went for 5 days during Valentine's Day and Presidents Day. It wasn't nearly crowded as it is today especially Magic Kingdom. Then again Magic Kingdom was the only park there. I was 11 yrs. old at the time. Mom and I had a great time. :flower:

Even in just 1991 we paid rack rate :rotfl: of $305/nt for lagoon view concierge at the Poly.

Our first ever trip that started all this madness, we stayed at the Contemporary Resort, North Garden wing for 74.00 a night.

1974 -$40 for the Polyn.

here is 1996 room rate

CBR 95 to 104 - same for PO, DL

All star $69

OKW (DVC)
studio 195 to 225

bwi $225 to $250

GF - $265 to $300

Polyn - $200 to $225

Cont - $195 to $220

FW campsite - $35 to $45
cabins - $185 to $220

WL - $159 to $180

YC/bc - $225 to $250

all rooms are standard only

May 1989, CBR--first cheap place to stay onsite! Regular season rate, we paid $69 a night. The waiting list was huge, but I booked 18 months before they openned to get in.

From a 1975 Eastern Airlines brochure, if you and a friend would have flown to Disney on Eastern, you could have stayed at the Poly 3 days/2 nights, including 3 days admission to the parks and 18 ride vouchers, and airport transfers for each of you, plus a free luau for $167, total (not per person). Extra nights were $47.

Or you could have done the golf vacation at the Golf resort for 4 days/3 nights, including 2 rounds of golf each, two days at MK each, and airport transfers for $249, total. Extra nights were $48.

In the late '70's we paid $21.00/night for a tent campsite at Fort Wilderness and dreamed of the time when we could afford the $79.00 for the Contemporary. The following year, we paid $29.00 a night for a full hook-up site (water, electric and sewer) because we had bought a travel trailer. We were still dreaming of that $79.00 visit to the Contemporary.

Last winter, I paid $55.00/night at Pop Century and I was thrilled! Of course, in between, I've spent way more than $55/night for a WDW hotel.

Beth

I don't know the exact room rate, but in 1996 we bought a package. 7 nights, 8 days in the parks. Stayed at CBR. Just me and DH. It included some freebies - one character breakfast for each of us. One recreation rental...we got water mice. Total for package $1,050.00.

Them were the good ol' days.....

PamNC

What a change from first trip to WDW in 1984 and today. Back then bascially only two resorts to choose from- Contemp and Poly. Remember calling 6 months ahead of trip to try and reserve room and only thing available was Contemp tower. I can't remember price but it was probably over $100/night and remember thinking "I'm not paying over $100 for a hotel room". Wound up at Downtown Disney resort. Many times now I can call Disney a few weeks or days before I go and more or less get resort I want.

I just happened to be looking at old WDW guide books from early/mid-90s yesterday. Interestingly in the low season the room rates now are not a lot different than 10-15 years ago in some cases. The price in the high season is a lot higher, but I think I paid around $70 when stayed at CBR when it opened, if you get a code discount (if they still exist) the price in low season is not much higher than the $70.

Phrank

How about Poly 1 bedroom suite, has a living room 2 bathrooms, I believe a full kitchen (memory not what it use to be) and it was HUGE with Lagoon View for $175 in approximately 1977!!! Watched the very first version on the Electric Water Pagent every night! Oh......the days!!!

How about Poly 1 bedroom suite, has a living room 2 bathrooms, I believe a full kitchen (memory not what it use to be) and it was HUGE with Lagoon View for $175 in approximately 1977!!! Watched the very first version on the Electric Water Pagent every night! Oh......the days!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter