Just did my first Disney Cruise. A view from 2 adult perspective.

Where do you guys recommend going next on a Disney cruise? Call be asleep from here I would prefer to step my game up and go on a seven day cruise.

I wonder if I have enough costumes for seven days lol
Definitely step up to 7 days or longer. The long itineraries (like Transatlantic or Panama Canal) have a bit different offerings for entertainment and themed menus. Disney tries to keep it engaging by being creative and switching things up. So even if you are rotating to the same dining rooms multiple times you experience a little something different each time. Also, favorite thing ever was the Elton John tribute show on the Panama Canal cruise! Everyone was singing along. Loved that show!

Thank you for your review!! We are embarking on our 1st cruise ever in April! This got me very excited!!! :yay::sail:

You guys are going to have a BLAST trust me!!!

Again let loose and be the inner Disney geek that's in you - it's not only celebrates but encouraged!

I'm glad you had such a great time! It's a reminder to me about why I cruise DCL. Sometimes the posts around here have me thinking of trying other lines, but I honestly think that I don't like cruising in general and I just like DCL cruising - even as adults only.

Where do you guys recommend going next on a Disney cruise? Call be asleep from here I would prefer to step my game up and go on a seven day cruise.

I wonder if I have enough costumes for seven days lol

I'm sure you would LOVE a 7 night cruise. Even a 4 night is so much better than a 3 night! We've done the 7 night Eastern Caribbean and will be leaving on the 7 night Western next month. In August, I'll be doing the 14 night Panama Canal with my Mom & Sister and honestly, it will be a very interesting experience for my trying to figure out how to "just relax" with all those sea days, because DH, DD & I are used to more active vacations where there's always a plan for what to do next :sad2: Then in December DH, DD & I will be on another Eastern Caribbean (different itinerary though) to celebrate DH's 60th Birthday. Although I enjoy seeing different places, the more imprtant factor for us is to be able to leave cold-dark Michigan and go someplace WARM in the winter. :)

We'd like to do a Southern Caribbean itinerary some day, and hope to be able to afford Europe/Greece - perhaps in 2018

This is why we have a hard time not grinning when someone asks.........*Isn't DCL for kids and to many of them at that?*

Glad you had a great time.

AKK

Last edited:
@CampbellzSoup We're actually thinking about doing the 4 night and 3 night Bahamas Dream cruise back to back on our anniversary next year. I have heard you can actually stay on the boat when you do that (I asked at the rebooking desk and she said you can as well) so it would be like a 7 day cruise, just have to be in Post Caneveral one day but you don't have to get off the boat.

@CampbellzSoup We're actually thinking about doing the 4 night and 3 night Bahamas Dream cruise back to back on our anniversary next year. I have heard you can actually stay on the boat when you do that (I asked at the rebooking desk and she said you can as well) so it would be like a 7 day cruise, just have to be in Post Caneveral one day but you don't have to get off the boat.

Sounds good to me! Also, whenever you get time can you send me some photos of you guys at the camp sites I'm going to be looking to doing that in the future! I actually went to the DIS boards welcome center and told Teresa I met you she knew you instantly lol

First I want to saw your photo is adorable! Second thank you for putting so many of my fears to rest. I'm going in just over 2 months with my children but no spouse or other adult accompanying me. I've been so worried that while the kids would have a blast I'd be bored or let down. It honestly sounds from your report that I have nothing to worry about!

For future reference, while onboard you don't have to sit at the future cruise desk to take advantage of the booking onboard perks. There's a card you can pick up in passing. Just fill it out when you get a minute. Tell them you want a placeholder. Drop it in the slot back at the desk and it's done. They'll charge your stateroom account the $200 deposit. Now you have a placeholder that you have up to 2 years to use all without spending any time at the desk or brain power trying to make big decisions. I'm not one who is good with big decisions such as choosing my next vacation on the spot. I have to pour over the details, compare, shop, think, worry unnecessarily.....LOL! I believe in the placeholders!

So glad you had a fabulous time! I think the ship being commandeered by kiddies is a common misconception. Sooooo not the case! My hubby & I have sailed DCL without our boys 3 times. We always enjoy it. A group of my Disney-centric girlfriends and I do a 4-night cruise sans spouses or kiddos every September. This year is #4. We always have an amazing time. We enjoy letting our hair down but still indulging our inner-child in the moment.

What is the benefit of a place holder?

Sounds good to me! Also, whenever you get time can you send me some photos of you guys at the camp sites I'm going to be looking to doing that in the future! I actually went to the DIS boards welcome center and told Teresa I met you she knew you instantly lol

Will do this evening. That's too funny she knew me, of course I guess with a name like Arc it's hard to forget lol

You like lock in a 10% discount for your future cruise and an onboard credit. You can use the placeholder for up to 2 years (some blackout dates and you can't use it on "guarantee" room rates).

Thank you! I've seen tons of people talking about them but never heard why. I doubt we'll be doing another in the next two years as we are going to Universal in 2017 and in 2019 I plan to take my girls to London so have to save for that. If you don't use it do you get it back?

Thank you! I've seen tons of people talking about them but never heard why. I doubt we'll be doing another in the next two years as we are going to Universal in 2017 and in 2019 I plan to take my girls to London so have to save for that. If you don't use it do you get it back?

Yes. It's 100% refundable. completely no risk (unless you forget about it and don't book anything for 2 years). unlike some places that ask you why you want to cancel, DCL never gave me any trouble either when I cancelled. I called and told them we didn't need the placeholder, and they said "Okay. Your card will be refunded. Thank you!"

tot he OP - glad you had a great time! We just completed our 4th without kids (2 adults) and love every one! Agree with everything you said!

This isn't 100% correct, you do have to disembark for about an hour or so. If you keep the same cabin you don't have to pack up your stuff in between.

Thanks for sharing your review! My hubby and I are going in April for our first disney cruise. I think he is a afraid he will be overwhelmed with kids. We've been to WDW and DL tons and have been on lots of cruises, so I think he's a little silly. I'll be sure to show him your review though.

I do have a question, how was the aquaduck? Were you able to get on no problem? Was it odd being in line with all the kids around? I think thats my only apprehension about it. I really want to go on, but I don't want to stick out or anything.
Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your review! My hubby and I are going in April for our first disney cruise. I think he is a afraid he will be overwhelmed with kids. We've been to WDW and DL tons and have been on lots of cruises, so I think he's a little silly. I'll be sure to show him your review though.

I do have a question, how was the aquaduck? Were you able to get on no problem? Was it odd being in line with all the kids around? I think thats my only apprehension about it. I really want to go on, but I don't want to stick out or anything.
Thanks!

The Aquaduck was AMAZING I went on four times! Do it while you're in Nassau as the kids and adults will be off the ship then it's your time to have it to basically yourself a few others!

Also on castaway cay day we beat up the island, and returned to the ship at three the Aquaduck line was small as well.

Trust me the kids were NOT an issue at all :)

First off people think you will be overwhelmed with children...from my experience it was pretty much the exact opposite, yes children were around - however I believe most were in the oceanears club as they weren't nearly commandeering the ship as I was lead to believe so.
I remember the first time that we got off the ship at Castaway Cay on our first Disney cruise. (It was toward the end of the cruise). I turned to my wife and said: "Where did all these kids come from? We haven't seen or heard them at all until now." (We had the late dining seating). It really is impressive how well the ship "swallows" the kids during the day. Aside from the kiddie pool, you wouldn't know that they were on board.

This isn't 100% correct, you do have to disembark for about an hour or so. If you keep the same cabin you don't have to pack up your stuff in between.

Interesting, I specially asked the Disney team member and they said you didn't. Wouldn't surprise me if the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing but that's what they told me. Thanks for the heads up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter