Just curious....what do people without ADRs do?

ccrosner

Mouseketeer
Given how difficult it is to get ADRs as your trip gets closer and the fact that there are so many people on a dining plan, what happens to those poor folks who somehow sign up for DDP or DxDP and don't know that they really do need ADRs? Can you ever actually walk in to a restaurant (let's say during our week 12/19 to 23) and actually get a seat? Or is it CS or QS the whole way?

Unfortunately it is CS all the way.

Disney does not care if you have your adrs in place, they will gladly take your $$ for any dining plan, and usually not tell you about adrs.

If you have not done your research (which if you have never been and don't have a "coach" like I did) you are out of luck.

It is sad, but it happens all the time. Every time I have been waiting at the podium I have heard people complaining about it and all they are told is "we are sorry but there isn't anything available".

When we were on our vacation last Dec 09, upon entering the park around 10-10:30am, there were always big sandwich boards saying there were no TS available, please enjoy a meal at the CS restaurants. Every day....I can't imagine paying for the dining plan and having to eat CS every day.

I've very rarely seen it when there was NO TS availability somewhere. It may be off times, it may be less than optimal places, but there has never been a time when I couldn't find some availability at a TS restaurant somewhere...even during Christmas week.

We don't go Christmas week, but I'm not a huge fan of ADRs and we have always been able to get TS meals. I would not try it for time periods where park closures are going to be happening but we've been fine at other times.

Thanks for answering. It does seem like it would be tough to get TS during many holiday times. And wasting time wandering around looking for a place to eat isn't high on my list of great ways to spend your vacation! But maybe it's because we just love the eating part of a vacation :)

Unfortunately it is CS all the way.

Disney does not care if you have your adrs in place, they will gladly take your $$ for any dining plan, and usually not tell you about adrs.

If you have not done your research (which if you have never been and don't have a "coach" like I did) you are out of luck.

It is sad, but it happens all the time. Every time I have been waiting at the podium I have heard people complaining about it and all they are told is "we are sorry but there isn't anything available".

When we were on our vacation last Dec 09, upon entering the park around 10-10:30am, there were always big sandwich boards saying there were no TS available, please enjoy a meal at the CS restaurants. Every day....I can't imagine paying for the dining plan and having to eat CS every day.

Actually I think that Disney does a good job of telling people they need reservations. Any time I have spoken to them they always ask if I have made my ADRs. Of course if a person books a package from someone travel agent who is not a Disney expert.. well then they can certainly run into problems.. even if you are staing off site and booking through a travel agent, it is their job to tell you that if you want to eat at a TS that you need to make a ADR.

On the other hand I think that Disney could consider keeping aside several spots for open for walk ups..

Also I can say that I do not have much sympathy for people who spend a lot of $$ on a trip and do not invest in the time to research it a bit. If I was going to Mexico for an all inclusive, I would do some research, if I was going to Europe.. I would research....

We've done a couple trips without the dining plan, and our last trip we upgraded to DxDDP at check in so we had several meals without ADRs. We usually go during October and really have not had any issues getting a seat as a walkup. The only place we have ever been told no to was CRT, and we obviously knew that was a long shot before we even asked. In our experience there have always been people that no show for their ADR so the restaurant has available tables. We try to avoid the super popular places as a walk up though.

I just found out at our Thanksgiving trip that Coral Reef closes between 3:30 & 4:00. We got there at 3:45 & they gave us a buzzer & told us they could seat us at 4:00. We went on the Nemo ride & got stuck, so we didn't get back until 4:20 & they still sat us-right next to the aquarium window where the turtle sleeps!

Actually I think that Disney does a good job of telling people they need reservations. Any time I have spoken to them they always ask if I have made my ADRs. Of course if a person books a package from someone travel agent who is not a Disney expert.. well then they can certainly run into problems.. even if you are staing off site and booking through a travel agent, it is their job to tell you that if you want to eat at a TS that you need to make a ADR.

On the other hand I think that Disney could consider keeping aside several spots for open for walk ups..

Also I can say that I do not have much sympathy for people who spend a lot of $$ on a trip and do not invest in the time to research it a bit. If I was going to Mexico for an all inclusive, I would do some research, if I was going to Europe.. I would research....

well said!
i totally agree...every CM has always asked me before we hang up if i need to make any dining reservations.

and yes...research on any trip that you want to be sure you are going to enjoy is just simply...a no brainer.

I've seen many people without ADRs get turned away at restaurants our last couple of trips. I would never go without making them.

After booking a reservation that includes a DP, yes the CMs always ask if you need to make ADRs but when I say no thank you, they never take the time to explain the importance of doing so and/or the possible results of not doing so. Fortunately, I know how it works and will make them online (because I like that way better) but they don't know that.

I, too, feel sorry for those who don't do their research. And the majority of people I know fall into this category.

There are very few instances where you can do a TS restaurant without an ADR. It's usually CS from there.

I have never made a single ADR and have always gotten in at every restaurant.. maybe just luck

I have never made a single ADR and have always gotten in at every restaurant.. maybe just luck

It does depend on timing...for instance, there is availability at 5 different plan restaurants for today and 4 different plan restaurants right now for tomorrow at 1pm.

There'll be TS availability somewhere. But in crowded times the party has to know or care enough to look for it, and to possibly leave a park and go to a resort that may be a long way from the park or out to Downtown Disney to get it. Many guests want to eat in the park they happen to be inside at the time, so they have to opt for CS or for a restaurant they didn't really want.

What you usually see is not those saying that there was nowhere to eat TS available anywhere on property, but people saying they couldn't get anywhere to eat inside Magic Kingdom or something like that (MK has only five TS restaurants), and they are not considering leaving the park to find a restaurant to be an option.

Except at the most crowded times, there is usually a way to get into a TS at Epcot, although it may be Marrakesh or another place that isn't particularly popular. But Epcot has a lot more TS restaurants than the other parks have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter