Just can't talk DH into another trip...HELP!!!!!!!

ThreeMusketeers

DIS Veteran
DD is going to be 5 in April. We took our first family Disney trip when she was 3.5. I am dying to go back! She wants to go like crazy, and so do I. But Dh isn't as "into it" as we are. The first time we went, we did a huge family trip with my parents going as well. This time, I would rather just go the 3 of us. This will probobly be our only child, so I really want to take advantage of this. We have $4000 in our vacation savings. he is in school full time. So he has other things "on his mind" before taking another trip to Disney, not to mention another vacation entirely.
How do I talk him into going? Is it wrong to go to Disney alone with my 5 year old? I mean, I don't want to leave DH out but I really really really want to enjoy these fun Disney years with her.

I took DD by myself when she was 3. DH wasn't into it so I took her and it was magical. :hug: Such good mommy/daughter time.

As far as getting him to love it like you my advice would be to go during the holidays. DH always agreed to go and had fun but once we went during the winter holidays, "snow" falling on Main St. after the fireworks, the kids' mouths agape, and me in tears, he finally got the magic of Disney. Is there a certain time of year he might enjoy more than any other time?

Good luck and here's some pixie dust for your hubby. pixiedust:

If you have the $, it isn't wrong to take her and go without DH if he is okay with that.

Some people just aren't into it (hard to believe!).

My mom took me and my sister and left my dad home with my brother (my dad doesn't like to be alone). A year or two later, my mom took my brother and left me and my sister home with my dad. As long as everyone agrees, there shouldn't be a problem. Some things your DD will share with him, and some things she will share with you. Couples frequently have different interests.

I agree with everyone else....if your Dh doesn't want to go, I'd book for just you and your daughter.

One thought on your dh....was it during a busy time your last trip? My dh is so not a crowd person, and the only way he'll do WDW is during off season. I know he'd be miserable too (and probably refuse to go back) if we ever went during peak season.

Kelly

Things that can help...;)

Have DD dress as a princess and exclaim how she would like to go to WDW to see the "real" Cinderella.
Listen to Disney songs in the car.
Watch Disney movies.
Tell DH how cheap it can be and you have the money already saved up.

Find something at WDW that interests Dh. For some reason my Dh, who isn't that into Disney either, really likes the food and taking others to Disney. We have only been once with just our family. He likes to show people around...and I am not sure why :rolleyes: . Our next trip might involve his grandmother or his brother, both have never been. We also own DVC so it makes the choice to return easier.

I do have solo trips with my sister, but I don't think my Dh would really want me to go with the kids alone.

Good Luck!

I go places with my girls alone all the time, especially Disney. Make a plan and present it in a way that he can't say no...:rotfl:

I don't know. If I only had $4000 in the bank and my husband was in school, I wouldn't be planning an expensive vacation. However, I would be willing to find the least expensive way to do Disney, come up with a realistic savings plan, and then present it to my husband. How long is your hubby in school? Perhaps you could plan your trip right around his graduation time as a sort of gift or celebration. Savings are more important than trips, especially if one person is a student.

I dont think there is anything wrong with going without dh. Your dd will only be little once. And if he doesn't want up to go alone, resort to bribery. Thats how I have got my dh to do WDW this year after 3 times to DL.

I have no problem with doing a vacation alone with the kids if DH is OK with it. But, I would not want to use half of my savings on something DH wasn't involved with. Maybe work on saving more money first? Maybe then DH would want to go, too? Or maybe plan on going to celebrate DH's first job after graduating? I realize it's not as much of a celebration for him if he's not as excited about it, but it's a celebration of you guys supporting him through school ;)

All of my trips to Disney have been without DH. He hates lines, amusement parks, heat, etc. and doesn't want to go. He doesn't have any problem with me and the kids going, so we do! If your DH is ok with it take DD by yourself.

My personal take on spending money for vacations is this----without sacrificing the family's needs for the rest of the year---I'd rather spend the money on a vacation where we will be building memories and spending time together than twiddle it away throughout the year on other things (again, unless it means a sacrifice to the family's needs throughout the year). For instance, all year long, we rarely go to movies, eat out at expensive restaurants, buy lots of clothes (typically the minimum needed and ALWAYS on sale), etc....so that we CAN go on vacation...a fun one that we all love, and inevitably that's Disney! Now, that being said, I don't presume to know the ins and outs of your finances....but if you think you can swing it, approach your husband with it in this manner---memories, time together, and so much fun that it will carry you until the next vacation!!! Disney literally carries us through the year.....we work hard all year long because we have something to look forward to come summer time!!

Good luck with this, I hope you can convince him!!

DD and I did a mommy daughter trip in April 05' when she was almost 4. It was the BEST!!! She is still talking about our Girl Trip and wants to know when we can go again - just the girls... Now we have a little sister so we will need to wait a bit before we head solo, but I have convinced DH we should go this Thanksgiving!

Do a Girls Trip... You won't regret it!:goodvibes

By no means is it wrong to take your child alone to WDW! I have taken my kids 3 times by myself and am going to do it again this coming October. My DH isn't into WDW like me (although we are doing a trip without the kids in a few weeks :) ) , he is just as happy for me to enjoy myself with the kids!

I'm in a similar situation . . . I'm planning another trip for late next year or very early 2009, before DS goes into kindergarten. We've been there twice since last June and DH isn't quite ready to go back. The last two times we were there, it was with family, and I want to go back just the 3 of us. I know that he will go, but he won't be happy about it (at least until he gets there).

We are in a different financial situation, though. The money isn't a real issue, but DH doesn't like to part with his moldy pennies.

I'd definitely consider a trip without DH!

I don't know. If I only had $4000 in the bank and my husband was in school, I wouldn't be planning an expensive vacation. However, I would be willing to find the least expensive way to do Disney, come up with a realistic savings plan, and then present it to my husband. How long is your hubby in school? Perhaps you could plan your trip right around his graduation time as a sort of gift or celebration. Savings are more important than trips, especially if one person is a student.

Sorry, I misspoke, we have $4000 in our vacation fund. We have over 25,000 in the bank for savings, we have a fund to buy a house that has about 10,000 in it. We also both have 401k's that we are building up... and we are only 27/28. So, I don't see money as an issue right now, we have been pretty good at saving.
We did go last year during Xmas time, but was the week after thanksgiving and non peak time. Crowds weren't too bad. He says he just likes to do new things. I don't know, i feel so bad going w/o him. We don't do things seperatly. Besides, Disney can be as cheap as you want it to be. He just keeps saying that since we have been married (since we were 18) all we have done is go to FL or Disney. We never try anything new. =(
Who cares! I could go to Disney twice a year for the rest of my life and never be bored. I love the place!
Thanks for all the advice.

Sorry, I misspoke, we have $4000 in our vacation fund.

Much different :goodvibes Well, if it's the "different" thing that has him hesitant, would he want to go to Universal? Maybe you could all go and you spend a couple days at WDW with DD (while he studies for finals, or something) and go as a family to Universal a few days? Or spend a couple days at WDW and then drive to the ocean for a couple? Or maybe plan the next TWO vacations right now - one for Disney and one for somewhere he wants to go?

Again, I don't think anything is wrong with just you and DD going, as long as DH won't be resentful, just trying to think of a way it could be a family trip, since it seems you would prefer that. :)

Sorry, I misspoke, we have $4000 in our vacation fund. We have over 25,000 in the bank for savings, we have a fund to buy a house that has about 10,000 in it. We also both have 401k's that we are building up... and we are only 27/28. So, I don't see money as an issue right now, we have been pretty good at saving.
We did go last year during Xmas time, but was the week after thanksgiving and non peak time. Crowds weren't too bad. He says he just likes to do new things. I don't know, i feel so bad going w/o him. We don't do things seperatly. Besides, Disney can be as cheap as you want it to be. He just keeps saying that since we have been married (since we were 18) all we have done is go to FL or Disney. We never try anything new. =(
Who cares! I could go to Disney twice a year for the rest of my life and never be bored. I love the place!
Thanks for all the advice.

Sometimes you just have to say, OK...this year we will do something else. As a family we are not going to WDW this summer. DH wanted some time off to do other vacations. Why don't you agree this time and have him help you set the date for the next WDW vacaton.

I too could go twice a year..in fact, last year I went four times, but having a DH sometimes means you have to please him too. :rolleyes: .

Hi, I too have a similar dilemma. My husband went for the first time last September. We went with my Dad, brother, sis-in-law and 2 year old nephew. We literally rushed around the whole time we were there because my family was trying to stick to my nephew's schedule, which was fine, but my husband is a more laid back kinda guy and doesn't like the whole minute by minute schedule deal. We didn't get to ride all the good stuff, we missed all of the parades and fireworks, and we felt like throwing up after every meal because we would have to rush back throught the parks to the hotel for nephews nap time. We still had fun, but he was a little hesitant about going back, I assured him next time we would stay on property, take our time, and plan 1 day just to lounge around by the pool and relax. He seems a little bit more excited about going, so we will see. Like someone else said, maybe he is just not a Disney person, perish the thought I know, but it could happen. My dad says that he wouldn't care if he ever sees disney again, but he will do it for his grandchildren. IF your husband doesn't mind, I would say go with just you and your child.

My DH also was hesitant about going to Disney again lol. I am all for using your daughter to talk him into it, honestly I liked the idea someone gave you about dressing her up like cinderella. This year I had my youngest daughter beg my DH until he said yes..... BY the way I am currently a student and I know first hand the added stress it creates, just make sure you plan for the trip when he gets a break from school, believe me it might just be the (worry free) relaxation he needs . :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter