• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just bought Gold AP - New Disclosures!

Yes - unless it was a special deal that requires activation by a certain date, like the one that offered the 13 month pass. If you buy now, it's just SOP, so you can buy and exchange for an actual activated AP when you're ready.

Good way to protect from price increases if you can afford to tie up the $$ until you are ready to activate. I've not found that the increases really justify buying too far in advance. Life happens, so I'd prefer not to assume I'll always be able to go (or want to go) or keep my membership. YMMV.
This is why I have been waiting, good points.

Is it really necessary to buy one day tickets if I can find them at the old price? Don’t know what day we will go, do I’m thinking of just waiting and buy them at guest services on the day we want to go.

My Gold AP expires in June. Is there any way I can buy my renewal now to lock in that price? I know the increase is coming.....

This is why I have been waiting, good points.

Is it really necessary to buy one day tickets if I can find them at the old price? Don’t know what day we will go, do I’m thinking of just waiting and buy them at guest services on the day we want to go.

They definitely cost more at the gate and you won’t have any FP booked until you have them. I would NOT advocate for buying them this way from guest services.

They definitely cost more at the gate and you won’t have any FP booked until you have them. I would NOT advocate for buying them this way from guest services.
Hmmm, ok. So how many days do I have to use a one day ticket if I pick the date of December 9?
Ok, have to buy the flexible date which I did.

Last edited:

My Gold AP expires in June. Is there any way I can buy my renewal now to lock in that price? I know the increase is coming.....
You can renew up to 60 days in advance. Mine expires May 31, so I'm calling on March 31.

I'm curious - Can Disney black out the SWGE opening days/weeks for an AP?

I'm curious - Can Disney black out the SWGE opening days/weeks for an AP?
For general entry, no. It is pretty much contract between TDC and annual pass holders with their passes purchased already that those days are as represented at time of purchase. They knew what they were doing when they posted these calendars, they held off on declaring the fall for quite some time.
However, there is nothing to say that Disney can't restrict hours for general admission, and/or have special admission only days. Although as we've seen before, this behavior tarnishes the Disney image in the eyes of fans.

Last edited:

You can renew up to 60 days in advance. Mine expires May 31, so I'm calling on March 31.
Thanks for the info. I'm June 17th, so I'm crossing my fingers for both of us that the rates don't go up before then!!

I'm confused by those choosing to buy a new pass and activate later as opposed to renewing the Gold Pass for around $100 less... I understand the worry of the prices increasing but I think an $100 increase is highly unlikely.

Also, if you choose to renew within the 30 days after your pass expires will it renew effective the date you pay or effective the old expiration date?

For general entry, no. It is pretty much contract between TDC and annual pass holders with their passes purchased already that those days are as represented at time of purchase. They knew what they were doing when they posted these calendars, they held off on declaring the fall for quite some time.
However, there is nothing to say that Disney can't restrict hours for general admission, and/or have special admission only days. Although as we've seen before, this behavior tarnishes the Disney image in the eyes of fans.

I'm confused by those choosing to buy a new pass and activate later as opposed to renewing the Gold Pass for around $100 less... I understand the worry of the prices increasing but I think an $100 increase is highly unlikely.

Also, if you choose to renew within the 30 days after your pass expires will it renew effective the date you pay or effective the old expiration date?
Renewal dates don’t move forward just because you renew late-you just have less than 1 year to use them.
Personally we never renew our passes we always buy new. We generally go in the spring and fall so by not renewing and buying new we move the expiration date out 4-6 months. This allows us to buy less AP over time. Our first AP started in May 2015 and we are only on our 3rd AP.

We bought new ones as our expiration for the last AP was Feb. 19th...our next planned stays are August 2019, April 2020, July 2020, so if we renewed, we'd only get 1 use out of them vs the 3 uses we'll get out of them this way. We won't need to buy another pass until our 2021 stays. (With our stay patterns, originally we only needed to buy passes every 24 mths...now it's more like 18 mths as our patterns have changed.)

Renewal will be effective as of the old expiration date.

Renewal dates don’t move forward just because you renew late-you just have less than 1 year to use them.
Personally we never renew our passes we always buy new. We generally go in the spring and fall so by not renewing and buying new we move the expiration date out 4-6 months. This allows us to buy less AP over time. Our first AP started in May 2015 and we are only on our 3rd AP.
We bought new ones as our expiration for the last AP was Feb. 19th...our next planned stays are August 2019, April 2020, July 2020, so if we renewed, we'd only get 1 use out of them vs the 3 uses we'll get out of them this way. We won't need to buy another pass until our 2021 stays. (With our stay patterns, originally we only needed to buy passes every 24 mths...now it's more like 18 mths as our patterns have changed.)

Renewal will be effective as of the old expiration date.

Thanks for clarifying! Got the calculator out and did the math based on our planned trips over the next two years. Will definitely spend less buying new when we need them vs. renewing!

Thanks for clarifying! Got the calculator out and did the math based on our planned trips over the next two years. Will definitely spend less buying new when we need them vs. renewing!

I need to calculate too. We usually go in November and March. I am never sure if I am better off renewing or buying new APs. I have done both in the past. Currently I have APs that we activated in December 2018, used again in March 2019 and planning our third trip for November 2019. So, I need to decide if I should renew after our November trip or activate a new AP the following March.

I currently have an 8 day UT ticket that starts 9/8. Thinking of upgrading to a Gold AP. Two questions:
1. From different threads - I'll have to upgrade when we get to Disney - at Guest Relations in a park (thereby missing an opportunity should there be a price increase)?
2. How would this affect my FP selections at 60 days - I'm assuming they would carry over to the upgraded AP?

DL will be employing a reservation system when things start up there this summer. Will be interesting to see if WDW follows suit in some fashion

Q.

How do I make a reservation to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Resort?
A.

To visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Park between May 31, 2019, and June 23, 2019, Guests need valid theme park admission and will be required to make a no-cost reservation (subject to availability) to access the land.

Guests staying at one of the 3 Disneyland Resort hotels during these dates will receive a designated reservation to access Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge during their stay (one reservation per registered Guest); valid theme park admission is required. Information on how to make a reservation and details about reservations will be available at a later date.

Capacity is limited. Admission to Disneyland Park—including Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences—may be restricted or unavailable depending on Guest demand and other factors. Please continue to check the Disney Parks Blog for the latest information.

DL will be employing a reservation system when things start up there this summer. Will be interesting to see if WDW follows suit in some fashion

Q.

How do I make a reservation to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Resort?
A.

To visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Park between May 31, 2019, and June 23, 2019, Guests need valid theme park admission and will be required to make a no-cost reservation (subject to availability) to access the land.

Guests staying at one of the 3 Disneyland Resort hotels during these dates will receive a designated reservation to access Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge during their stay (one reservation per registered Guest); valid theme park admission is required. Information on how to make a reservation and details about reservations will be available at a later date.

Capacity is limited. Admission to Disneyland Park—including Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences—may be restricted or unavailable depending on Guest demand and other factors. Please continue to check the Disney Parks Blog for the latest information.
Yep, and I bet this is how it might work in Orlando, you think? Makes no difference to me, I have no desire to ever step foot in SWGE, but I bet they will do some sort of crowd control like this.

First time I've ever seen anything like this when buying tickets.

Important Update
Capacity for Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and its experiences is limited. Access to the park, land and experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on guest demand and other factors.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will not be available at opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and will open later this year.

Sure sounds like they are expecting huge crowds when SWGE opens and are covering all the bases in case they have to deny access. Sadly, it sure looks like paid options are coming.

I have a Gold AP. So if I have a dinner reservation, I will not be permitted into the park. Will I then have to argue about the penalty fee for not showing up?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter