Just bought DVC!

My husband and I just finished a cruise on the Magic and ended up buying dvc at poly. We are so excited for all of the wonderful memories to come :)

I know that you are excited about your purchase but I urge you to take the time to read the posts here in the purchase section of the DIS. DVC has a pretty large learning curve and should you decide to buy a different contract and/or buy at a different resort or UY, you only have 10 days from the day you signed to cancel or modify your purchase.

:earsboy: Bill

T
I know that you are excited about your purchase but I urge you to take the time to read the posts here in the purchase section of the DIS. DVC has a pretty large learning curve and should you decide to buy a different contract and/or buy at a different resort or UY, you only have 10 days from the day you signed to cancel or modify your purchase.

thanks. Yes, they told us about the 10 days. Care to expand on the learning curve?
We had been wanting to joint dvc for a couple years now, just kept procrastinating in actually doing anything.

T

thanks. Yes, they told us about the 10 days. Care to expand on the learning curve?
We had been wanting to joint dvc for a couple years now, just kept procrastinating in actually doing anything.

There are DVC rules to use your points, policies, UY, banking, borrowing, availability issues, best home resort selection for the 11 month booking advantage, the 7 month booking rule, reservation canceling rules, held points rule, different resorts, rooms, categories, sizes and views. Occupancy limits, refurb schedules, issues with the website and issues with MS hold times.

Last edited:
T

And in those years you learned that Poly iis where you want to stay most of the time? If it isn't then there will be much less expensive routes to go for ownership.

Do you want to stay at Poly more often than not?
Do you like studio villas?
Will you be traveling to Disney World every 2-3 years?

Congratulations.

Yes, there is a learning curve. Just like any major purchase.

And yes, there are rules to follow when using your points and booking your vacation. Just like any other timeshare.

Ask questions here. Read through the material that they gave you.

And enjoy.

congratulation and welcome home :) I agree with the earlier posts make sure staying in studios at the Poly is really the place for you, if not you'd be better buying somewhere else via re-sale.

My husband and I just finished a cruise on the Magic and ended up buying dvc at poly. We are so excited for all of the wonderful memories to come :)
http://www.disboards.com/threads/new-poly-dvc-owners.3475855/

In the above thread, I make several comments about fixed weeks. If you bought at least 130 points, and especially if you intend to travel in Dec on any sort of routine basis, I strongly suggest that you talk with your guide about rescinding and repurchasing a fixed week.

The guides don't normally discuss fixed weeks because they consider them a distraction to a sale.

There is a definite advantage to you as an owner having a fixed week. After your rescission period ends, this option will be permanently closed to you.

A fixed week is the absolute best way to buy Poly, even if you don't use it. It's interchangeable for points. Fixed weeks give you more options, not less.

T

Did you spend those couple years researching? If not back out now and do just that.

Congratulations!! It is a very exciting purchase, but if you take a quick look at some of the DVC resale websites it would probably make you want to cry at the huge difference in the number of points that you can buy resale compared to direct. Someone also mentioned only staying in studios - this may not be a realistic thing in say 5 to 10 years when you have a few children to room with. We are a family of 5 and we know a one BR (every other year) is a must. Just for your comparison we bought AKV 120 point contract at 76 per point. Direct for poly is just about double that and we still have the flexibility to stay at poly booking at 7 months. Just something to think about in the next 8 days before you can no longer back out. If you have scoured this forum prior to your purchase then you probably made an informed decision, if not then back out, research and realize your points potential with buying resale at a much lower price per point. You may feel that some people are being very negative, many feel that direct Disney pricing is getting too inflated.

You may feel that some people are being very negative, many feel that direct Disney pricing is getting too inflated.

Or, simply, that buying Poly points at a significant premium over multiple resorts resale -- even somewhere like BLT -- is a costly move if you aren't going to stay there as a primary destination, don't want studios for every trip, or otherwise won't be taking advantage of it as a home resort to the fullest extent. It is a resort with high(ish) maintenance fee expectations, given the age of the longhouses, and a very limited selection of accommodation type.

Thanks everyone that definitely gives me something to consider. What are some resale sites so I could look into some comparisons to help finalize my decision?

Thanks everyone that definitely gives me something to consider. What are some resale sites so I could look into some comparisons to help finalize my decision?
I've found www.***************.com to be helpful. It's effectively a search tool that lets you sort the contracts for sale by resort, use year, points, etc. You can't buy a resale from the site but you can link to the resale companies who can sell you one. I echo the opinions of most here, give resale a good look and if you have any doubt rescind the contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter