Just booked with Spirit for $171 r/t!(total cost)

Mark P.

DIS Veteran
Making for a grand total of $684 for the four of us, which I don't think is bad at all!

Our trip is in May, and we're flying out of Atlantic City.

Something I found odd, is that a couple of weeks ago Spirit sent a email promoting a 'special' fare of $84, which wound up to be $200 after taxes and fees. Not a bad price, but not what I would consider special, considering that we've flown Spirit in the past, and that's pretty much what we've paid during various times of the year.

So, today I found that Spirit is offering the $77 rate, which is lower the promo. rate they were offering earlier this month. Maybe they will announce it soon via email and on their homepage like before, but I'm glad I waited.

Heck, at this rate, maybe they'll come down even more, but I'm not willing to chance it...I'm satisfied with what I paid.

-Mark

Congratulations - now if only the time would fly by until that trip - LOL! Have fun!

That's a great rate depending on the days and time of year your flying. Usually they advertise the rates without all the taxes added on so $77 is really great. I'm flying a Easter and was able to get a $91 rate each way but that was quite a long time ago. Sunner if I remember so they have my money for all that time. I love the convenience of flying Spirit. The airport, the parking, and it's close to home.

Did you get those rates off the website? If you don't mind...what dates are you going in May? For that price, it gives me a good excuse to take a vacation:)

Start your packing, Tracy M!;)

Our trip is May 14-22, and I did book on Spirit's website.

Before I booked on-line, I called Spirit's 800# to book, as I'm a little uneasy with on-line purchases with that much money involved.
While on the phone with Spirit, the agent confirmed that the on-line price is $20 less per ticket than calling direct, so I went ahead and booked on-line, and everything went through just fine.

Not sure how long this fare will be around, as I've been following the fares for a few months now, and they seem to go from $84 to $90, which comes out to between $200 and $211 (r/t, total).
This $171 (r/t, total) fare is the lowest I've seen since I've been checking, but you never know, the fares might even come down lower. Kind of a gamble on that, I guess.

Also, it appears that flying during mid-week is key to getting the lower fare. Luckily, our schedules are flexible, and allow us to do just that.

Good Luck!

We are flying Sprit out of AC for the first time next week Jan 7-12. For four tickets we have a price of $620, $155 ea. They even went as low as $138 but these are Jan prices, Florida tends to be cheaper and colder.

For those of you that flew Sprit, they recomend checking in 3 hours early. Is this due to the fact that seats are not asigned? We have never flown out of AC before and usually fly out of Philly. I would have thought checking in would be easier and not take as long at AC.

I got the $138 for 1/15. I have to drive 3 hours to get to AC, but still thought 138 r/t was an amazing deal- I have a family of 5 so we really lucked out. My mom is coming w/ us and she booked a week later (I booked around 11/15) and got the 155 rate which is still a great deal. If you can get there, sometimes you can also get great rates out of ABE airport (Allentown, PA), just fyi.
I went via travelocity with no problems at all.
I am also interested in info about the 3 hour "window" to get there as well as parking etal- can anyone tell me all I need to know about the airport? (Is there a restuarant for lunch, gated parking etal?) Im picturing a sandy field inside a fence, a shack w/ some vending machines and an atm machine. grin
Thanks
NancyL

Hi Nancy:

Yes, the parking is gated. But very important & remember this.....DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PARKING TICKET INSIDE YOUR CAR. When you return, there is a machine inside the airport, right in the baggage claim area, where you pay your parking fee. You need your ticket to stick inside the machine & it will tell you what you owe, validate your ticket and you can pay cash or credit. I'm telling you this because I normally stick the ticket inside my visor and leave it in the car, like I think a number of people do. But Spirit doesn't have a cashier at the exit gate like normal airports. I had to run back to the car, get the ticket, & go back into the airport to pay the parking, then back to the car. So make sure you keep the ticket on you.

It's a small airport, there is some counter food I think & a little gift shop. The flight was great & quick.

Have a great trip!

Oh yeah...the 3 hour window. I really doubt you'll need that much time to check in, especially this time of year. I always fly out on the 7am flight and arrive at the airport about 5:30am. It takes about 1/2 hr at the most. I would call a day ahead about the seats....we were all seated together (2 adults & 2 children).

I saw those Jan. fares the other day, and they are super...I wasn't sure if I should've waited and took the chance of getting the same fares for May, but thought I should just take the $171 at that point.

From what I've heard they don't even start giving out boarding passes until 5:30 AM so getting there at 4 would not be necessary. I'm not sure if things changed after January 1 though. The parking is gated and close by. Very easy access. They only charge 3.50 a day. I love flying Spirit and AC Airport is great.
The only food is counterservice upstairs after you go through security. There are two sides, ine a bar the other just a cafeteria style dining room. The food is not bad by airport standards but there is not a great selection. Enjoy your trip.

Is Spirit one of those little planes? I mean, how many passengers does it hold? I'm looking at all options for my summer trip, but I'm nervous about flying in really small planes. Thanks!

I found this info at the Spirit Air web-site:

Spirit Air has planes that carry 110-156 passengers. The Spirit Airlines all jet fleet consists of McDonnell Douglas MD-80's and DC-9's. These aircraft are known for their high reliability, low maintenance and great fuel efficiency which helps to keep Spirit fares affordable.

Originally posted by mom23guys2
From what I've heard they don't even start giving out boarding passes until 5:30 AM so getting there at 4 would not be necessary. I'm not sure if things changed after January 1 though. The parking is gated and close by. Very easy access. They only charge 3.50 a day. I love flying Spirit and AC Airport is great.

Thank you for this information. I am considering going out of AC on Spirit. I'm only 20 minutes outside of Newark but am not finding convienient times/bargain prices/ non-stops to my liking. It's about 2 hours to AC from here, but now that I know parking deal, I might go that route!

I think I said this before, but if you're in North Jersey, ABE (Allentown Bethlehem Airport) is also a good secondary airport for inexpensive flights.
NancyL

Thanks, Karin. I'm in Brooklyn, so I don't know if it would be worth it to drive all the way to AC. But now at least it's an option, since Spirit doesn't use those teeny planes!

I've flown Spirit many times out of ACY and have never had a problem. I actually paid $139 r/t for my trip later this month - I'm really excited! Now, if only Spirit could offer those fares year round, there would be many happy customers. :)

Thanks for all the info on Atlantic City airport. I am a new resident of New Jersey and Newark airport was giving me all kinds of problems.

I have an hour or so drive to Atlantic City and I'm flying out on the 7 am Spirit flight. Was going to leave the house around 3 am, but Mark P suggested staying overnight near ACY.

Is it really ok to park the car for 10 days there? Never done it before. We were going to take a limo or car to and from the airport.

But I really like the idea of only being 15 minutes from the airport.

I left my car there for a week last month. It's like renting a car - if you park at 5 a.m. and leave at 2 p.m., you're paying for that 8th day.

And the per day price is now $4 - I paid $32 to park there.

Spirit also flies out of LaGuardia, and those prices have been pretty decent to Orlando.

I almost booked at $171 a week or so ago for a trip in May, but was waiting to be sure a friend was going, too. Now the prices are back up to @ $200 again. :( Now I'll have to wait for those "weekend specials" to include that time frame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter