Just booked our first cruise any help/tips appreciated....

IWISHFORDISNEY

<font color=darkorchid>Cant get enough of the mous
We are doing a 3 night Bahama on the Dream in December and I have no idea what to plan or do. The only thing I know is we are on deck 8 and have main dining. We are traveling with a 12 year old and 7 year old. Any tips would be great. No I can not book a longer cruise this is what we can afford. So please give me advice you wish you had on your first cruise. Thanks so much we are super excited!!!

We are doing a 3 night Bahama on the Dream in December and I have no idea what to plan or do. The only thing I know is we are on deck 8 and have main dining. We are traveling with a 12 year old and 7 year old. Any tips would be great. No I can not book a longer cruise this is what we can afford. So please give me advice you wish you had on your first cruise. Thanks so much we are super excited!!!
The biggest piece of advice I can give you is - don't try to fit everything in. It just can't be done. Have a look at the Navigator each night for the next day's activities and don't over plan. Remember, a vacation should include some down time.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is - don't try to fit everything in. It just can't be done. Have a look at the Navigator each night for the next day's activities and don't over plan. Remember, a vacation should include some down time.
What is the navigator?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-stateroom-navigator.htm

It is a newsletter type document you get each day. All the scheduled events/activities for the day are listed on the Navigator. You can view some past Navigators others have posted with the link above. There is also a free Navigator App you can download to use onboard.

We were on deck 8 on our first cruise. It was a great location. You will have a great time. I would look through the past navigators and check out the planning links on Disboards to see what activities you most want to do. There really are too many activities to get them all in on your first cruise (and you will want to book again). If you have time, participate in an FE (Fish Extender) gift exchange. The kids would love that.

Last edited:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-stateroom-navigator.htm

It is a newsletter type document you get each day. All the scheduled events/activities for the day are listed on the Navigator. You can view some past Navigators others have posted with the link above. There is also a free Navigator App you can download to use onboard.

We were on deck 8 on our first cruise. It was a great location. You will have a great time. I would look through the past navigators and check out the planning links on Disboards to see what activities you most want to do. There really are too many activities to get them all in on your first cruise (and you will want to book again). If you have time, participate in an FE (Fish Extender) gift exchange. The kids would love that.
Thanks so much this was a big help!

How wonderful to be able to go on a Disney cruise, no matter the length. I assume this is next December? There is only one 3 night sailing left this year. If it is THIS Friday, I would do a search for this exact same topic because there are tons of tip threads already out there. There are even a few, what didn't you need threads.

If it is next December, then take time to read some threads, look at some of the daily navigators (schedules) as your sail date gets closer. New ones are posted pretty regularly. I would also make note of your paid in full date - the day in which you need your cruise paid for. Don't want to miss that. Otherwise, just spend the next bit of time reading and asking more specific questions. Happy Cruising!

Edit:
Link1
Link2

Congratulations on your first cruise booking! Our first was DCL Dream 4day December (2011), as well.

Being your first cruise, and a 3-day, you will feel like you are disembarking right after embarking. Not being negative at all- it's just that there is much to see, eat, explore, do that time will move fast. If you are a planner then pick a few things you really want to do (look at past Navigators which are available online with a Google search -maybe even on this site, not sure). If not wanting to plan a bunch and instead just want to soak up the experience and atmosphere, you will have a blast! You would not in any way have a negative experience if you did no further research than just knowing there is a Navigator on board (paper schedule), and a great and wonderful Navigator app for your phone- download this before you get to Port although it will not have any functionality (except a countdown to your cruise) until you board.

Personally, for a 3-day, I would not recommend doing FE (fish extender) on your first cruise - no need to spend your time on that when everything is new and exciting. Also, would not recommend going to specialty dining as it is an extra cost and you would miss one of the three dinner restaurants you already paid for. You may decide to book another and you can decide if you want those alternate dining experiences on the next cruise.

You'll have a great time over the next year looking forward to your trip! Enjoy!

Our first cruise ever was a few weeks ago and we also did the 3 night on the Dream. I agree with others that a 3 day is not near long enough! Try not to do everything and just try to relax. Join the facebook group for your cruise (usually you can search Disney Dream with the dates of your sailing). I agree with not doing a FE because that would have been super overwhelming having to run all over the ship.

The weather was PERFECT when we went.

Have fun on your trip!!!

Being your first cruise, and a 3-day, you will feel like you are disembarking right after embarking.

Fwiw that isn't how it felt for us.

My main advice is to read through the navigator when you get it and pick out the things your group wants to do. Sometimes cruises (especially Disney) end up being experienced in 15 minute chunks. 12 year old wants to go to tween club for this time period, the younger wants kid club for these things, mom wants to meet Cinderella and dad wants to meet jack sparrow...now go! :)

For me, that can make a cruise feel longer, but you have to read the info to know what there is to do. :)

Now that they have the Navigators for the whole cruise online using their free wifi, do download the dcl app ahead of time (assuming you have some sort of electronic device that gets wifi) and launch it once onboard. That way you can see things like "will jack sparrow have another appearance so I can visit Cinderella with my wife now or do we really have to split up for this 30 minute chunk?"

It also allows for texting so you know what bar to meet in after the different events you've split up for. :)

DS takes his wifi-only phone to the kids club to let us know when he was ready to go. Worked better than having the club contact us by the horrid Wave phones. (Note: DS was 10 on our last dcl cruise and didn't experience the pre/early-teen room)

We recommend the DCL app to use onboard. You can see menus. You can save an activity as a favorite and it will alert you a few minutes before to remind you.

We recommend the DCL app to use onboard. You can see menus. You can save an activity as a favorite and it will alert you a few minutes before to remind you.

Ditto...we loved the app on our Thanksgiving cruise this year. Was much better than carrying around the paper copy of the Navigator!

our first cruise was a 3 day on the dream with a cabin on deck 8, too! (in feb. although our next 4 day on the dream was in december....the weather for both cruises was wonderful!)

i actually wanted a short cruise as i'd never been on one before and i was 50/50 on wether i would hate it or enjoy it. turns out i enjoyed it!

we stayed on the ship for the nassau day and it was a great choice for us. we did an adults-only brunch and rode the aquaduck and enjoyed the less crowded ship for a few hours. a great time for a midship detective agency game!

go to castaway cay as early as possible to do any bike riding (i really recommend doing an early morning bike ride around the island!! its a very easy ride)/exploring before the sun gets super hot. then once it does, it will be a perfect time to enjoy the beach and the water.

Tip #1: Don't over plan

Tip #2: Don't over pack

Tip #3: Take time to look at the artwork and special touches throughout the ship

1. I actually do recommend doing a Fish Extender as your kids will like getting the gifts, and dropping off your gifts to others is a great way to get to know the ship. But keep it simple: stick to a group that is 10 cabins max, and one that doesn't have a bunch of strict rules about what & when to give. Our FE group was via Facebook, and had basically no rules except to give each cabin a gift. Perfect. I didn't do individualized gifts, but rather gave the same things to every cabin, dropping the gifts off with my son the 1st & 2nd day of the cruise. The drop-off was fun & as I said, one nice way to get familiar with the ship's layout. It's especially fun when you assign the kids to be the givers. In fact, with a 12 year-old, you might even give them the task to deliver the gifts independently while you unpack or do an adult activity, depending on how mature & interested your kids are. You can buy a Fish Extender from Etsy, or sew your own.

2. We loved our 3-night cruise last year. We definitely didn't feel like we got on then turned around to get off. However, since time is shorter, I especially recommend that you stick to the activities that appeal to you, rather than trying to do what others claim is a must-do. For instance, my son and I have no real interest in attending the shows. (We watched about 10 minutes of Tangled on last year's cruise, then discreetly walked out. Not because it was bad, but it just didn't hold our interest.) So we skip the shows, and have that much more time each day for other activities, which can include just relaxing in the stateroom watching a Disney movie on demand. Remember that it's a vacation, not a quest to complete the maximum number of available activities. Do what you feel like doing, and don't worry about missing the rest. We skipped Pirate Night on last week's cruise just because we were tired, and that didn't diminish our vacation at all. I'm glad we chose to relax that evening rather than try to cram in another "must-do".

3. Get a nice character stateroom door magnet from Etsy, or make your own if you're the crafty type. You'll see a ton of these on the ship, and your kids will like having one on your stateroom door.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter