Just booked AKL for Feb...and I'm from NY

I read somewhere yesterday that NY is looking into accepting a negative COVID test instead of the 14 day quarantine. Hopefully there will be a procedure by February.

I also heard NY may allow a negative test on Day 5-7 after return home, but then I also heard they'd accept a negative test immediately after getting home. Either way, we are anxiously awaiting to hear more news on that! We have a lot of the rapid tests all around us and would happily take one.

Excited that I have a trip booked...but worried that I won't be able to take it because I can't quarantine. Any one else in the same boat? I'd be happy for just a resort only stay... just to get away and have a little taste of the magic!
NYer here too! I feel your pain! We had to cancel 2 trips and our annual pass because of it. We have a trip planned for February as well, hoping by then we won’t have to quarantine! Also hoping we can park hop by then! It’s really a waste of days if we can’t. So may be pushing this trip out farther. Best of luck! We’re all missing magic here too!

At least under current protocol, residents of CT/NY/NJ aren't required to quarantine upon arrival in FL.

You’re kinda gutsy honestly. I don’t see any way a snowballed Halloween > Thanksgiving > Xmas > New Years holiday spike doesn’t linger through Feb but maybe 2021 will give us a break?

Any chance you can book a backup later next year? That would be my play, double the odds of being able to go.
It's not too gutsy, I can get my money back if I want to cancel. :-)

I was thinking of also booking something later in the year, but what I really want is to just get away and relax while it's cold here. I'd be happy to hang out at AKV and go to AK and Epcot. Not looking to book table service, or make fast pass ressies, I just want to get away and chill (where it's warm and sunny after a NY winter). I'll play it by ear and see what happens.

Oh, maybe someone can answer my question about park tickets! We don't have APs and it doesn't look like park tickets are refundable. If I bought tickets (which it seems like I should do to get park reservations) am I out that money if we need to cancel?

Oh, maybe someone can answer my question about park tickets! We don't have APs and it doesn't look like park tickets are refundable. If I bought tickets (which it seems like I should do to get park reservations) am I out that money if we need to cancel?

Technically, park tickets are non-refundable. However, my understanding is an unused ticket can be exchanged for future use but there may be an expiration date. The WDW website states
"After expiration date, the price paid for a wholly unused ticket can be applied to the purchase of a new ticket with an equal or higher price."

NEW: @NYGovCuomo announces NYS is shifting from a quarantine list to a testing policy.

Get a negative test within 3 days BEFORE arriving in NYS.

Once you arrive in NYS, wait 3 days and then take a test on the 4th day (or after).

If both are negative, no quarantine.

*Not sure if there is anywhere on property to get a test 3 days prior to my flight home and also not sure of costs involved 😔

Last edited:

NEW: @NYGovCuomo announces NYS is shifting from a quarantine list to a testing policy.

Get a negative test within 3 days BEFORE arriving in NYS.

Once you arrive in NYS, wait 3 days and then take a test on the 4th day (or after).

If both are negative, no quarantine.

*Not sure if there is anywhere on property to get a test 3 days prior to my flight home and also not sure of costs involved 😔

You'd need a taxi/Uber/Lyft if you don't have a car, but there is a free walkup site on Disney property.

https://www.osceola.org/covid19testing/

Just remember that’s not a rapid test site, so plan accordingly.

This is my concern too! If you have to have results in-hand, from a test taken in the previous 72 hours, does this site get your results to you within 72 hours of taking the test?

This is my concern too! If you have to have results in-hand, from a test taken in the previous 72 hours, does this site get your results to you within 72 hours of taking the test?

We were tested Thursday and the report is dated Saturday. They didn't notify us like they said they would (text and email), though, so I didn't see them until Monday when I checked on the website.

I was going back to MA, though, so it wasn't a big deal. I just put "waiting on results" on the form. MA doesn't even ask you to send the results when you get them, just keep them handy in case anyone asks. They also just send an auto text once a day for 14 days as a reminder, nobody ever checked up on us.

We were tested Thursday and the report is dated Saturday. They didn't notify us like they said they would (text and email), though, so I didn't see them until Monday when I checked on the website.

I was going back to MA, though, so it wasn't a big deal. I just put "waiting on results" on the form. MA doesn't even ask you to send the results when you get them, just keep them handy in case anyone asks. They also just send an auto text once a day for 14 days as a reminder, nobody ever checked up on us.

Thanks!! For my son and I it's not important, we get back late Tuesday 12/15, we'd have to quarantine in NYS until friday and get the test on saturday. School will be out for winter break by then and we'd be home the whole time anyway. My husband however, would probably work those few days before Xmas, but he's also essential and NYS exempts them from quarantine and he's planning on a test right when we get back, so I'm uncertain if the effort to go get the test in Florida really gets us anywhere.

Actually starting October 30 they now have the rapid testing at this site and it's free.

At the Maingate site? It still says results take 3-5 days, and it's only free for residents. So what does an out of stater do if they needs results in 3 days or less?

https://www.osceola.org/covid19testing/
This one says visitors, but neither say results are less than 3 days.
https://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2020/10/rapid-testing-now-available-at-covid-19.html
The above article states that testing is available to "everyone". It also states under the changes section at the top of the article that they now have rapid testing.

The above article states that testing is available to "everyone". It also states under the changes section at the top of the article that they now have rapid testing.

I read that too, but that the Osceola County website does not say that concerns me; much like the NYS media reports that the testing procedure would replace the quarantine were incorrect (its just an alternative to quarantining) I'm concerned that Theme Park News isn't accurate and hasn't stated what they mean by rapid.

I read that too, but that the Osceola County website does not say that concerns me; much like the NYS media reports that the testing procedure would replace the quarantine were incorrect (its just an alternative to quarantining) I'm concerned that Theme Park News isn't accurate and hasn't stated what they mean by rapid.
I took the rapid test at the Maingate location after landing on Tuesday and had my results before I got to my hotel. It was legitimately fifteen minutes later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter