Just Back - WDW vs Disneyland thoughts

MNDisneyMommy

Mouseketeer
We were at Disneyland Tue-Thurs last week. It was our first trip to Disneyland, and we're WDW vets. Trip was me, husband, our two kids (5 and 7) and my MIL (who was a real trooper!). Plan going in was Tue DLR Tomorrowland & west side of park, with Galaxy's Edge at night. Wed CA. Thurs DLR Fantasyland/Toontown, and re-rides in either park. I wanted to share some thoughts we had in case it helps any other WDWers prep better. :)

*Feeling. Two big areas here - the Bubble and Compression. We missed the WDW Bubble feeling - you put that Magic Band on at the airport, and from there you're free of real life and we're in a different world. At DLR, on our morning walk a block to the parks, the panhandlers while we waited for the light to turn at Harbor, the cast members in their clearly identifiable ride uniforms eating their breakfast sandwich or lunch walking next to us, etc. - it all is real life there right in your face. And then the feeling of Compression. DLR overall was a shorter trip, in a smaller area. Nice for walking distance, not so nice when its a low crowd day and you can barely walk around the park in the evening due to crowds. The queues are compressed (very small, very snug). Things are much closer, but that also means people are closer, walls are closer, everything is more snug feeling.

*Food. Quick Service at Disneyland was SO much better than at WDW. We were very glad we didn't book any ADRs for table service, since we had some really fantastic meals that would have been TS level at WDW. Since we were there for a shorter time, we were happy not to spend 1.5 hours eating as well. It felt weird not to book TS, but we were happy we did for DLR. Also, those Churros are just as good as everyone says they are, and Mobile Order is your friend.

*Parks. California Adventure - we really loved the entire place. The rides were great, the lands were great, just overall - definitely our favorite. We could have spent a lot more time there re-riding our favorites. My thrill-ride loving husband and daughter loved the Incredicoaster. Both kids loved the Pixar Pier area. I really liked the lands, it was a great park, and I wish I had planned more time for us there. Disneyland. I was most excited for Disneyland before we arrived. This was Walt's original vision! But once we got in, the history didn't really come through for us. Maybe we should have done a tour. While we liked New Orleans Square, Indiana Jones, and especially the Haunted Mansion overlay a TON, the rest of what was different just felt...different. I was initially really excited about all the new-to-us Fantasyland rides, but honestly, most were just weird (I'm looking at you, Mr Toad and Snow White) and the kids didn't want to re-ride any of them. I liked a few things, didn't like others - it was a mixed bag. I think we couldn't help but compare DLR rides to their WDW equivalents whereas at CA everything got to stand on it's own. Also, we were prepared that the castle was smaller...but... I mean, it's really small. The pink castle part (above the "stone" foundation) is probably shorter than my 3-level house. That was rough, even with the expectation in advance I just didn't think it was really THAT small.

*Weather at DLR wins hands down. If it was 95 degrees at WDW we'd be utterly miserable, sticky, yucky. At DLR it was 95 but so dry we were out walking around, we even ate meals outside in the shade because in the shade it was pretty decent! And when the sun went down it cooled off right away, it was so pleasant. When the kids school schedules mean we have to go in August, we're totally going DLR.

*Hoppers. We didn't need park hoppers. We got them because the parks were so close we figured on day 3 we would be hopping. Well, with the halloween party we only used the hopper once. Not worth the premium for this trip.

*Maxpass vs WDW Fastpass. Definitely pros and cons both ways here. We really benefited that Maxpass allows stacked FPs - at one point when we got back in the evening we did: RSR, Big Thunder, Splash, Haunted Mansion, Indiana, then Space - all in a row, no downtime, all with FPs. You'd never be able to do that at WDW!! Also, the lack of magic bands helped - my husband (who was the only one who wanted to do Guardians and Incredicoaster) easily used FP booked for others. However - we had several gripes with it, mostly that it didn't seem to provide as much of a benefit in terms of front of the line type access (line to scan in, then FP lines merge with standby a lot earleir it seemed, so we often waited a good 10 minutes to ride even with FP). Also, even though I studied quite a lot, it was still pretty complicated to make decisions on the fly all day and keep track of return times and rebooking times especially once we starting splitting into smaller groups. Also, we take afternoon breaks, so there were time periods I was booking and then re-booking to try to make sure I hit the right time window or not booking something at all because none of the return times were late enough. I'd definitely recommend any WDW folks do their homework on Maxpass and FP rules at DLR! Husband prefers the WDW way of getting the planning done in advance. I'm OK with either, but it was complexity during the day of, that's for sure.

*Photopass. We got so few pictures. It was a bummer. The very few photographers that were around always had huge lines (like at least 5-7 families deep). At WDW we only stop when we see someone open, and we end up with tons of pics. Also for ride pics you have to enter the code - and its a long one - we missed getting one due to timing before we realized that was why everyone was taking a picture of the picture (to enter the code later).

*Characters. Roaming characters doing things was fun to watch. But, my kids didn't understand why Cinderella only walked with that one girl, or why they couldn't get their picture with Chewie. We should have helped set expectations for them a little better on this front.

*Epcot/AK. We missed Epcot and AK more than I think we expected to. Hollywood studios felt "covered" by Guardians and RNR, but the others were not. We missed the Land/Seas at Epcot, and the entire AK thing (we love animals...)

*Galaxy's Edge. This was also our first Galaxy's Edge experience. Theming was great, the Falcon ride was cool, but there just wasn't much to DO there. I got a survey after our second day at Disneyland, where we clearly re-rode a bunch of other rides using FP, but we didn't go back up there... it was basically asking WHY we didn't go back. Once we saw the ships, watched Chewie try to fix one, shopped, did the ride, shopped again, did Oga's, and got our pic in front of a ship...it just didn't feel like there was anything else worth going back for to see again. If we had a FP for Falcon maybe we'd have gone back up...but wasn't going to wait another 35-40 minutes for it. I mean, I have a bunch of Porgs, we own all the movies in multiple editions, and my husband's favorite IP is Star Wars. We should be the folks who want to be there for hours. But we were there for less than two, and we wanted to go to New Orleans Square again more than Galaxy's Edge. I'm hoping on our next WDW trip that the second ride makes the difference, but it just wasn't everything we hoped for. We rode Star Tours FIVE times on this trip. MF once.

Overall, we are glad we went. We think we'll get there maybe once every 3-5 years. Next time we'll try to use our DVC points to stay at the Grand Cal (maybe help some of the bubble feeling), and plan for more time at CA. And less time seeing other sights in LA, since we did a day and a half of other things and besides the La Brea Tar Pits the kids would have rather just been in the pool.

Yes, staying at Grand Californian will help the bubble feeling. It sounds like you stayed offsite, which ruins the bubble at both WDW and DLR. (Btw, I think Grand Californian is the only hotel fully in the bubble, with Disneyland Hotel being not quite in, but charming. The walk is more pleasant than the Harbor Blvd walk. Opinions vary on that, though.)

Great report. Yeah, can't compare bubble feeling if you're not staying on-site DLR: VGC or DH/PP at the very least. They you're in the bubble with DTD experience and walking into the system through DTD instead of off-site Harbor drive experience. (compare that to staying in Paradise and driving in--outside the bubble).

DLR is great for us because we're in SoCal. It allows us to pop in and disney for a quick day and hit the rides and experience in quick succession on MaxPass without the 30-60 day planning. DLR is totally setup for a 1-2 day compressed experience. VIP tour for the behind-the-scene stuff you'll never see. If curious, you can go in the bypasses during the parades and meander around I suppose!

Advantage - night parade, fireworks and Fantasmic within an hour and 5minute walk.

We're off to WDW for xmas this year and just bracing for the crowds there. Ohboy.

So if you were to do your park days or park tickets again what would you buy? 3 or 4 day and PH or not?

We were at Disneyland Tue-Thurs last week. It was our first trip to Disneyland, and we're WDW vets. Trip was me, husband, our two kids (5 and 7) and my MIL (who was a real trooper!). Plan going in was Tue DLR Tomorrowland & west side of park, with Galaxy's Edge at night. Wed CA. Thurs DLR Fantasyland/Toontown, and re-rides in either park. I wanted to share some thoughts we had in case it helps any other WDWers prep better. :)

*Feeling. Two big areas here - the Bubble and Compression. We missed the WDW Bubble feeling - you put that Magic Band on at the airport, and from there you're free of real life and we're in a different world. At DLR, on our morning walk a block to the parks, the panhandlers while we waited for the light to turn at Harbor, the cast members in their clearly identifiable ride uniforms eating their breakfast sandwich or lunch walking next to us, etc. - it all is real life there right in your face. And then the feeling of Compression. DLR overall was a shorter trip, in a smaller area. Nice for walking distance, not so nice when its a low crowd day and you can barely walk around the park in the evening due to crowds. The queues are compressed (very small, very snug). Things are much closer, but that also means people are closer, walls are closer, everything is more snug feeling.

*Food. Quick Service at Disneyland was SO much better than at WDW. We were very glad we didn't book any ADRs for table service, since we had some really fantastic meals that would have been TS level at WDW. Since we were there for a shorter time, we were happy not to spend 1.5 hours eating as well. It felt weird not to book TS, but we were happy we did for DLR. Also, those Churros are just as good as everyone says they are, and Mobile Order is your friend.

*Parks. California Adventure - we really loved the entire place. The rides were great, the lands were great, just overall - definitely our favorite. We could have spent a lot more time there re-riding our favorites. My thrill-ride loving husband and daughter loved the Incredicoaster. Both kids loved the Pixar Pier area. I really liked the lands, it was a great park, and I wish I had planned more time for us there. Disneyland. I was most excited for Disneyland before we arrived. This was Walt's original vision! But once we got in, the history didn't really come through for us. Maybe we should have done a tour. While we liked New Orleans Square, Indiana Jones, and especially the Haunted Mansion overlay a TON, the rest of what was different just felt...different. I was initially really excited about all the new-to-us Fantasyland rides, but honestly, most were just weird (I'm looking at you, Mr Toad and Snow White) and the kids didn't want to re-ride any of them. I liked a few things, didn't like others - it was a mixed bag. I think we couldn't help but compare DLR rides to their WDW equivalents whereas at CA everything got to stand on it's own. Also, we were prepared that the castle was smaller...but... I mean, it's really small. The pink castle part (above the "stone" foundation) is probably shorter than my 3-level house. That was rough, even with the expectation in advance I just didn't think it was really THAT small.

*Weather at DLR wins hands down. If it was 95 degrees at WDW we'd be utterly miserable, sticky, yucky. At DLR it was 95 but so dry we were out walking around, we even ate meals outside in the shade because in the shade it was pretty decent! And when the sun went down it cooled off right away, it was so pleasant. When the kids school schedules mean we have to go in August, we're totally going DLR.

*Hoppers. We didn't need park hoppers. We got them because the parks were so close we figured on day 3 we would be hopping. Well, with the halloween party we only used the hopper once. Not worth the premium for this trip.

*Maxpass vs WDW Fastpass. Definitely pros and cons both ways here. We really benefited that Maxpass allows stacked FPs - at one point when we got back in the evening we did: RSR, Big Thunder, Splash, Haunted Mansion, Indiana, then Space - all in a row, no downtime, all with FPs. You'd never be able to do that at WDW!! Also, the lack of magic bands helped - my husband (who was the only one who wanted to do Guardians and Incredicoaster) easily used FP booked for others. However - we had several gripes with it, mostly that it didn't seem to provide as much of a benefit in terms of front of the line type access (line to scan in, then FP lines merge with standby a lot earleir it seemed, so we often waited a good 10 minutes to ride even with FP). Also, even though I studied quite a lot, it was still pretty complicated to make decisions on the fly all day and keep track of return times and rebooking times especially once we starting splitting into smaller groups. Also, we take afternoon breaks, so there were time periods I was booking and then re-booking to try to make sure I hit the right time window or not booking something at all because none of the return times were late enough. I'd definitely recommend any WDW folks do their homework on Maxpass and FP rules at DLR! Husband prefers the WDW way of getting the planning done in advance. I'm OK with either, but it was complexity during the day of, that's for sure.

*Photopass. We got so few pictures. It was a bummer. The very few photographers that were around always had huge lines (like at least 5-7 families deep). At WDW we only stop when we see someone open, and we end up with tons of pics. Also for ride pics you have to enter the code - and its a long one - we missed getting one due to timing before we realized that was why everyone was taking a picture of the picture (to enter the code later).

*Characters. Roaming characters doing things was fun to watch. But, my kids didn't understand why Cinderella only walked with that one girl, or why they couldn't get their picture with Chewie. We should have helped set expectations for them a little better on this front.

*Epcot/AK. We missed Epcot and AK more than I think we expected to. Hollywood studios felt "covered" by Guardians and RNR, but the others were not. We missed the Land/Seas at Epcot, and the entire AK thing (we love animals...)

*Galaxy's Edge. This was also our first Galaxy's Edge experience. Theming was great, the Falcon ride was cool, but there just wasn't much to DO there. I got a survey after our second day at Disneyland, where we clearly re-rode a bunch of other rides using FP, but we didn't go back up there... it was basically asking WHY we didn't go back. Once we saw the ships, watched Chewie try to fix one, shopped, did the ride, shopped again, did Oga's, and got our pic in front of a ship...it just didn't feel like there was anything else worth going back for to see again. If we had a FP for Falcon maybe we'd have gone back up...but wasn't going to wait another 35-40 minutes for it. I mean, I have a bunch of Porgs, we own all the movies in multiple editions, and my husband's favorite IP is Star Wars. We should be the folks who want to be there for hours. But we were there for less than two, and we wanted to go to New Orleans Square again more than Galaxy's Edge. I'm hoping on our next WDW trip that the second ride makes the difference, but it just wasn't everything we hoped for. We rode Star Tours FIVE times on this trip. MF once.

Overall, we are glad we went. We think we'll get there maybe once every 3-5 years. Next time we'll try to use our DVC points to stay at the Grand Cal (maybe help some of the bubble feeling), and plan for more time at CA. And less time seeing other sights in LA, since we did a day and a half of other things and besides the La Brea Tar Pits the kids would have rather just been in the pool.

We are WDW veterans as well, and we just moved to Southern California and live about an hour from Disneyland. We go about once a month. I agree with many of your points, although I will say the more you visit Disneyland, the more you appreciate it. Our kids are little and they love the Fantasyland rides. Completely agree regarding Galaxy’s Edge..... I think it falls short of how amazing it could’ve been.

We stay offsite most trips, and splurged on the Disneyland Hotel this last time, and it made a HUGE difference. We totally got the bubble feeling, and you don’t see any panhandling, CMs eating in their uniforms etc.... unfortunately we can’t afford to stay on property once a month, but next time you go, if you can swing it, DO IT. I already told my husband to save up because I want to go in the summer for three or four nights and use the pools etc.

So if you were to do your park days or park tickets again what would you buy? 3 or 4 day and PH or not?
I am not OP but I’ll share our situation. We go annually. 2 kids under 5. We always get maxpass because they can’t tolerate too many transitions back and forth to kiosks then rides. We are not there open to close.

We have always gotten hoppers. But now that we’ll pay for kids tickets next summer I think we’re going to try one park per day. I think 4 days is the sweet spot for us. We’ve usually done 5 and that is just too much. Lots of meltdowns on day 5.

I was a little confused about your FP point-you said you often waited ten minutes to ride with FP. That seems pretty typical-I definitely waited at least that long for most our FP rides at WDW this year? Did that seem unusually long to you?

*Photopass. ... Also for ride pics you have to enter the code - and its a long one - we missed getting one due to timing before we realized that was why everyone was taking a picture of the picture (to enter the code later).
Ha! This was me! I didn't catch on for a couple rides either! It took my adult son to point it out to me.

I think if we go again we'd get 3 day single park tickets. The cost for the hopper wasn't cheap, and we barely used it. I thought since the parks were so close we'd go back and forth easily, but it didn't feel that easy in practice with little kids in tow. Although, now that we know we prefer CA perhaps we'd do another trip differently and get more value out of it.

I was a little confused about your FP point-you said you often waited ten minutes to ride with FP. That seems pretty typical-I definitely waited at least that long for most our FP rides at WDW this year? Did that seem unusually long to you?

Well, we hit WDW rides mostly first thing in the AM. We're used to tapping in pretty much instantly and walking right up to where you load (or very close to it). At DL, it felt like we often waited a few minutes just to scan our FP, and then we got into the lines and we pretty much always waited at least 10 if not 15 or so minutes. We merged with standby a lot sooner than we remember from WDW on most rides. On some rides you could sense this was because they added FP after and just didn't have the room, but on some (I'm thinking Star Tours) we were often merged with Standby lines way back in the curving intro queues when they definitely could have kept two lines to the front and let FP go through more quickly. It just felt different to us, but maybe that's just our experience and not typical.

Really appreciate the several comments about staying at one of the Disney hotels - that is the plan next time we visit. Helps reinforce that it'll be worth all that extra $$ :)

Well, we hit WDW rides mostly first thing in the AM. We're used to tapping in pretty much instantly and walking right up to where you load (or very close to it). At DL, it felt like we often waited a few minutes just to scan our FP, and then we got into the lines and we pretty much always waited at least 10 if not 15 or so minutes. We merged with standby a lot sooner than we remember from WDW on most rides. On some rides you could sense this was because they added FP after and just didn't have the room, but on some (I'm thinking Star Tours) we were often merged with Standby lines way back in the curving intro queues when they definitely could have kept two lines to the front and let FP go through more quickly. It just felt different to us, but maybe that's just our experience and not typical.
I do think they merge the lines a little too quickly. For the long fastpass lines. Did you experience a lot of ride breakdowns? When there are breakdowns around the parks they impact other rides because people come and use their replacement fastpasses. Also I've noticed that they are doing the lines at slightly lower capacity. For example, on Space Mountain when you split into 2 lines right before you load, they've only had one open. Even in the summer on weekends when it's busy. Same with Indy. In the part where you climb the stairs, there have been a few times where they've only had one side open rather than both.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion on the differences between the parks!

One thing I want to say- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is definitely going to be strange to you if you've never seen The Wind in the Willows (1949), which was a favorite of mine as a child and my absolute favorite Fantasyland ride.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion on the differences between the parks!

One thing I want to say- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is definitely going to be strange to you if you've never seen The Wind in the Willows (1949), which was a favorite of mine as a child and my absolute favorite Fantasyland ride.
It’s my dh fave too. He watched the movie growing up. I didn’t. I was indifferent to the ride. 😂

Parkhopper every time. I would never do DL and not get them.
Same here. The only way I'd do that is if I'd never been before and we had only one day to enjoy a park. I'd choose Disneyland over California Adventure. As much as I love a lot of the attractions in DCA, Disneyland would win by far. Since I've been there a countless number of times and often go for more than 3 days, I couldn't imagine not park hopping.

I always find these comparisons interesting. As WDW vets we were excited about our 1st trip to Disneyland but expectations were low. We ended falling in love with it. Fantasyland is so much better in Anaheim. The only thing I didn't care for was the lack of space at the park. Then again, even when crowded, there is still plenty to do. The same can't be said for Magic Kingdom.

We are now a family of 7 so little things like adding max pass and PH really add up. So for first time DLR visit as a family, having been to WDW 5 times I am still debating how many days and PH or not. I think we could do 4 days and no PH or 3 days with PH. 4 days might be overkill though? Plus that adds another hotel night so might negate the cost of the PH?

We are now a family of 7 so little things like adding max pass and PH really add up. So for first time DLR visit as a family, having been to WDW 5 times I am still debating how many days and PH or not. I think we could do 4 days and no PH or 3 days with PH. 4 days might be overkill though? Plus that adds another hotel night so might negate the cost of the PH?
I’d go 4 days with maxpass if possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter