• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back! Spirit of America Trip Review...

OC_stacylace

Mouseketeer
Hey everybody!

My two sons and I just got back from our Spirit of America trip. We were on the 8/7 to 8/14 trip, and met a fellow Dis board family there, too! I just wanted to share with you some of my thoughts of the trip, in hopes it may help you decide if this is the trip for your family.

On this trip, it included myself, 35, my two boys, 10 and 4, and my parents, both 70 years old. My husband had to stay at home due to not being able to get off of work.

Normally, I would have probably waited until the younger son was a bit older to take such a trip, but the trip was an incentive as we bought into DVC last year, and I felt our older son need not miss out on a trip just because the younger son was so much younger. But, I also really thought about which trip would be the easiest for the 4 year old, and I really feel confident that this trip was our only choice for the 4 year old.

First of all, the guides were really excellent. They bent over backwards to make anything you desired happen. I am a big water drinker, and I never had to buy a bottle of water as they always had it available for you. Snacks were also always available, which was a lifesaver for me with two hungry boys. Our guide Mike even took my 4 year old on a few water slides, as water slides are not my thing and usually fall to Dad's responsibility.

As far as the trip content, there was a lot of free time. This may appeal to a lot of you, and it was nice for me as it allowed time for rest, however my parents felt it was too much. Every day in DC, we were done around 2 p.m., and they would have preferred to have some sort of program like the scavenger hunt for kids in Philly. Or perhaps an interactive tour of a Smithsonian or maybe even a tour option of the Capitol building.

Having only 1 day in Williamsburg was really not enough for our family. On our tour, we were only able to see two trades and the Governer's house, and then we had lunch and left for our hotel. There was an option for a second shuttle, but only was an hour maybe two hours more time. Having two days in this amazing place really would have been better. I just felt rushed and not able to just sit and soak in the atmosphere better, to really "time travel" and get a real sense of what life was like in Colonial Williamsburg.

But for those two exceptions, we had such an amazing trip! The amount of history we covered in that short week was pretty extensive. The food was very good, the farewell dinner was such good fun.

As for tour travel, this was our first trip with a group. As you can imagine, with a 4 year old, I was a bit stressed in making sure he was on his best behavior, and he did really well. I think what I have realized is that not every parent is so concerned about what their own children may be doing, and you just have to let it go. I don't think I would do a tour again unless it was with Disney, as they just make it so much about the family and really were there to make your trip one of a lifetime.

If you have any specific questions about the trip, ask away!

Great report!:thumbsup2 So glad you had a great time. Mike was our guide on the Southwest Splendors two years ago. Half of our tour was kids including a 5 year old and Mike was just great with them. He really is a great tour guide!:thumbsup2

Hey everybody!

My two sons and I just got back from our Spirit of America trip. We were on the 8/7 to 8/14 trip, and met a fellow Dis board family there, too! I just wanted to share with you some of my thoughts of the trip, in hopes it may help you decide if this is the trip for your family.

On this trip, it included myself, 35, my two boys, 10 and 4, and my parents, both 70 years old. My husband had to stay at home due to not being able to get off of work.

Normally, I would have probably waited until the younger son was a bit older to take such a trip, but the trip was an incentive as we bought into DVC last year, and I felt our older son need not miss out on a trip just because the younger son was so much younger. But, I also really thought about which trip would be the easiest for the 4 year old, and I really feel confident that this trip was our only choice for the 4 year old.

First of all, the guides were really excellent. They bent over backwards to make anything you desired happen. I am a big water drinker, and I never had to buy a bottle of water as they always had it available for you. Snacks were also always available, which was a lifesaver for me with two hungry boys. Our guide Mike even took my 4 year old on a few water slides, as water slides are not my thing and usually fall to Dad's responsibility.

As far as the trip content, there was a lot of free time. This may appeal to a lot of you, and it was nice for me as it allowed time for rest, however my parents felt it was too much. Every day in DC, we were done around 2 p.m., and they would have preferred to have some sort of program like the scavenger hunt for kids in Philly. Or perhaps an interactive tour of a Smithsonian or maybe even a tour option of the Capitol building.

Having only 1 day in Williamsburg was really not enough for our family. On our tour, we were only able to see two trades and the Governer's house, and then we had lunch and left for our hotel. There was an option for a second shuttle, but only was an hour maybe two hours more time. Having two days in this amazing place really would have been better. I just felt rushed and not able to just sit and soak in the atmosphere better, to really "time travel" and get a real sense of what life was like in Colonial Williamsburg.

But for those two exceptions, we had such an amazing trip! The amount of history we covered in that short week was pretty extensive. The food was very good, the farewell dinner was such good fun.

As for tour travel, this was our first trip with a group. As you can imagine, with a 4 year old, I was a bit stressed in making sure he was on his best behavior, and he did really well. I think what I have realized is that not every parent is so concerned about what their own children may be doing, and you just have to let it go. I don't think I would do a tour again unless it was with Disney, as they just make it so much about the family and really were there to make your trip one of a lifetime.

If you have any specific questions about the trip, ask away!

opt to do any laundry while on vacation or wait until ya got home? I am assuming if yes, you did laundry while at the Great Wolfe Lodge? Take quarters for the laundry machines?

2) how did the President's house look (in philadelphia)?

3) can you provide more info on the 2nd bus comment you made..see below:

"Having only 1 day in Williamsburg was really not enough for our family. On our tour, we were only able to see two trades and the Governer's house, and then we had lunch and left for our hotel. There was an option for a second shuttle, but only was an hour maybe two hours more time. Having two days in this amazing place really would have been better. I just felt rushed and not able to just sit and soak in the atmosphere better, to really "time travel" and get a real sense of what life was like in Colonial Williamsburg. "

per se, are you saying that you have an option on what shuttle to take while in Williamsburg or from Williamsburg back to the airport (when you depart)? Or ?.....

thanks!

Laundry was a bit tricky on this trip for not only me, but another family as well. I decided to use the laundry service at the Philly hotel, which cost about $50 for two days of outfits for me and my two children. Obviously not the best way, but I was having bad luck drying our clothes out with the humidity in our hotel room. I did wash one outfit and some underware in the room, and imagine me sitting on the floor with the hair dryer trying to try the darn things dry for out next trip segment. The only place with public facilities seemed to be the Great Wolf Lodge. Since it was last in our trip, and also one of the busiest times, I'm not sure I could have found time unless I cut into our precious water park time, to do the laundry there. For what is cost, the laundry service in Philly was very good and I loved the way my clothes came back. Not sure worth the money, but I loved having them dry!

I am not sure what you mean by "president's house". If you mean Mount Vernon, it was amazing! To be in the same place as George Washington and his family was a memory I will not forget. The museums after the home tour were quite fun as well, and both kids had a fun time.

As for Williamsburg, I agree my wording about the bus schedule is confusing. We were offered two rides home, the first at 1:15 and the other at 2:45. Lunch was over at about 12:45, so the first bus did allow you to shop around if you could do it quickly. I felt the 2:45 wasn't enough time to do what we wanted, so we just went back to the hotel for swimming. I believe out of our group of 30, only 5 stayed behind to catch the 2nd bus. Most wanted to get back to the water park.

One important thing I forgot to mention...there is no pool at the DC hotel. That was a bummer for us with smaller children who were staying close to the hotel after our day with touring was over. They do allow you access to a pool at a local YMCA, but it was a few blocks away. Asking a 4 year old to walk a few blocks was a bit much after all the walking we did during the morning. We stayed in and watched tv and played cards!

Hope this helps!

Hi OC_stacylace ,
Thank you very much for your trip report. It is very informative. I am glad that you have a great time and that your youngest did so well.

We are seriously considering a ABD trip next year and each report I read only helps me feel we are making the right choice. Now to decide which trip to take....

Thanks again.
________
BREAKUP ADVICE ADVICE

Thanks for posting! It's fun to hear about the experiences of fellow DISers on their ABD adventures. :goodvibes

TK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter