Just back - some observations

Space mountain, I was told when it opened, travels at 28 miles per hour!!! It was one of those trivia questions that surfaces every so often from monorail pilots and bus drivers. Back in the late seventies they used to get a kick out the guest's reaction when they learned, again at the time, that the fastest 'ride' in all of WDW was the Monorail!! Everyone was sure it was Space Mountain. They were truly shocked, as I was, when they learned that Space only hit a velocity of 28 MPH, whereas the monorail, when really pressed could go as fast as 45 MPH.

You are correct however in thinking that it's not quite the same as when it first opened. They did "tame" the ride somewhat by taking out some really hairpin-like turns and/or drops within the first year or so. That's it!!! As far as I know they didn't reduce the speed at all!

The dark ride gets the nod, but I would really like to see what WDI would propose to do with a major world class coaster that no one else has attempted.

While, I enjoy the two IOA coasters, neither are revolutionary when it comes to the use of theming. The pre-load theming is extensive, but theming does not really play a role in the ride experience itself. They were clever enough to build something else unique into each ride (dueling aspect and the only launched B&M) to give them some shelf life. Alpengeist and Montu both have more than average theming, but it again does not dramatically alters the experience, other than add a pleasantness factor.

There just has to be more that can be done with this medium than the occasional tunnel or head-chopper effect!!!

Disney shouldn’t try to lure the coaster enthusiast with faster or bigger, but rather with “enhanced!”.

Disney has always had to balance the thrill factor (try not to lose too many at each end of the spectrum). Given that their thrill rides are still their more popular, they appear to have been doing a pretty good job in this balancing act. I guess the question is can this balance be maintained with the recent bout of thrill inflation. The coaster wars of the last few years have deposited more extreme rides in so many more parks that the level of thrill experienced by the average park goer has probably more than doubled.

I do not know if they slowed down Space Mountain or took some of the more extreme curves out. A good friend worked for Disney in the internal audit section in 1970s and told me about the lawsuits concerning Space Mountain. There were several moderate to severe injuries on the ride early on that were corrected quickly after opening.

Just a side point. I truly love roller coasters they are my favorite rides..the teacups thats another story. In New England the Superman at six flags is awesome really fast. They did have a teeny tiny problem though. Seems at the very end of the ride they could not get the coaster to stop so it smashed into the one in front of it while it getting ready to load passengers (they only run 1 coaster now instead of 2). I did notice the "adults" running the thing were about 18 tops, with as much gusto as a sloth. Was it their fault? I don't know. But my point is ig you got somethin goin about 60 to 70 mph you better have somebody there that knows how to stop the thing.

Joe in CT

There were many rumors about attractions when they were new and nobody rode it. Persion A swore that it went 90 MPH. Persion B said they almost got killed on a drop. Especialy when it is new, rides get a tendency to be over hyped and rumored. Since only a few hundred thousand rode it in the begining, you could make up a completely false story easly and not have anyone dissagree with you (with in limmits) because they wern't there! Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Test Track, and JIYI are some of the rides I have heard rumors about in it's early stages of being a ride. Haunted Mansion, lady had heart attack, there is a good example. They said this happened almost 3 years before it opened, and the SHOW BUILDING WASN'T EVEN BUILT!!!!!!!!!

Yes, agreed about Space Mountain. The only things that have changed since the ride opened are as follows; The pre and post show have changed several times as sponsors changed (RCA, FedEX) Along with adding the TV's in the queue. They also added the arcade at the exit in '94 as part of the new Tomorrow Land. It appears to be a little lighter inside than years ago. The Cars have changes several times. You used to sit two to a seat with one person between your legs on a bench with seat belts. It has ALWAYS been 28mph. As Landbaron said, this was one of those trivia things that Monorail pilots and tram drivers used to tell you about in the late 70's.

Since I first went on Space Mountain sometime in 78 or 79, I have been back at least once a year since then. I do not believe the track has ever changed. If it did change, it would have had to be in the first year or so (since it opened in '77).

My $.02

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter