Just back - quick trip report

steve_rob

Mine? Mine? Mine? Mine?
Got back from DLP yesterday night and although I wasn't originally planning to do a full trip report, there's just some stuff that I have to share with you all.

Wednesday

Took the early flight with Easyjet from Luton to CDG Terminal 3. How early exactly? A 3:30am wake-up, for a 6am flight! But it meant we got into our room at the Sequoia Lodge (via VEA shuttle) by 10:15am, so I can't complain!

Our room was great - had a Montana (main building room) booked and the receptionist said she'd give us a lake view as well. I asked if we could get one king size bed rather than two doubles (having a king size at home, it's so difficult sleeping in anything smaller again), so she gave us the one right at the end of the North Wing corridor. While it did take us five minutes to walk to/from it every time we wanted to leave/return, the benefit was we had a balcony/patio area. I'll try and get my photos of it on here soon - it was huge!

Did the Studios first day (Weds) and walked on to most rides. Did everything but the tram tour and Cinemagique. Would have done these but the early start began to catch up on me - it was so dark and warm in Animagique that I started to feel sleepy and couldn't keep my eyes open! Went back to the hotel for a nap (dodging rain showers along the way).

Ate in Hunter's Grill that night (very nice) and also made reservations for the Steakhouse in the Village for Thursday.

Thursday

Next morning was an early breakfast at 7am (all the tickets for 8am etc. were gone when we checked in) but as we understood it, Disneyland Park opened at 9am that day, so we thought it wasn't too bad.

This was our first trip as shareholders, so were looking forward to experiencing Salon Mickey for the first time, only to find out it didn't open until the park opened at 9am, even though people were able to get into Main Street from 8:30 onwards. Surely this means it's not all that much of a perk?

However, although the park was officially open at the time they said, only Fantasyland was available - all the other lands were roped off until 10am. This meant everyone in the park was competing to go on the same rides, meaning Peter Pan, Dumbo etc. all had 40+ minute queues by about 9:30. I think this was a bad idea, as there were still quite a lot of French kids on school holiday this week and the park was therefore very busy.

Tried to get on Space Mountain Mission 2 as soon as it opened, but they were only letting people into the queue gradually, which meant a scrum developed at the gates. Eventually it formed a queue which stretched round to the front of Videopolis! Decided to Fastpass it - when we did get on it, I thought it was better than before, but my wife didn't. Seemed faster than before and special effects on the ride were superb, but could barely hear the music coming out the speakers in the seat now.

Queues for everything major were at least 60 minutes all day so struggled to do much and had to use FP's wisely. My first time doing Indiana Jones "forwards" (having only ever seen it backwards before) and I thought it better - much less stress on the neck and back being able to see what's coming.

Tickets for late Lion King show went on offer at 3pm according to the map, but we wandered by the queuing area (round the back of Videopolis, near the Star Tours fastpass queue) at 2:10 and found about 30 people in line already, so decided to join them. Glad we did, because people were being turned away from the queue BEFORE 2:45. Got tickets, saw 4:30 show and though it was very good, well worth the wait (but not as good as Aladdin at DL in California!).

Oh, and by the way, you'd never know it was Disneyland's 50th anniversary. Nothing special in the park at all - just a regular day.

Crowds and queues still massive so went back to hotel and came back at 7:30pm to do two last rides before park closing (both only 10min waits) then went to Steakhouse. Glad we made reservations because there was a queue out the door and everyone was being quoted a two hour wait for a table!

Friday

After two early starts, decided to lie in (and miss our scheduled breakfast time) and instead waited until 9am this time to try Salon Mickey. Very nice (and quiet) inside, grabbed a drink and a couple of snacks and spent ten minutes unwinding. A lot smalller than I'd imagined - after us, about three other families arrived and immediately all the tables and chairs were taken. If anyone else came in, they'd have had to stand!

Park still as busy as the day before. Got a fastpass for Peter Pan at 9:50am - for 14:25-14:55! Waited 90 minutes for Space Mountain and I think that was the shortest the queue got all day - at one point it was 150mins!

Then when we did get on Peter Pan the ride broke down! We were stuck in the room where you're above the island with about three other boats. The music was switched off once we'd been waiting for about two minutes, the lights came on after about five, then staff started wandering around beneath us asking questions. We thought they were going to have to get some ladders out if it went on any longer - it was about a 12 foot drop to the floor from where we were! However they did get it moving again eventually and we got out the normal way. All in all, the 'ride' lasted about 25 minutes!

Park hopped back to the Studios to do Rock 'n Rollercoaster one last time, then headed to Annette's for dinner as we had to be back at the hotel for 6:30pm to catch the bus back to the airport. Arrived back at Luton at 10:30pm.

Overall, the shareholders discount saved us about £35 on the room and another £20 on food and shopping, so I think two more short trips like this, or one long trip to the Disneyland Hotel and we'll have broken even.

Hi,,
nice to hear that you had a great stay. We love to go to Salon Mickey as well...and when you imagine how much you have to pay at the moment for the shares :cool1: you can eat and drink the value within one stay :goodvibes

I cant wait to be there next Saturday

Greets Renate :wizard:

Thanks for sharing :) Especially interested in Salon Mickey as we are planning to visit for 1st time in summer :goodvibes

Reid

Great report!

I am curious as to what you thought of the Steakhouse? I had possibly the worst meal of my entire life (honestly, no exaggeration!) there on my 30th birthday night :( but I have heard favourable reports since. I would be interested!

We did enjoy the Steakhouse. We have been there once before and both times the food has been very good although the service I'd only rate as okay - our server, while he wasn't rude or anything, did seem rushed off his feet. I think he had too many other tables to deal with if you know what I mean.

DW strongly recommends the surf and turf by the way, although don't have a starter (or expect to fit in dessert) as it's BIG - two scallop and giant prawn skewers, about 8oz of top quality steak and a giant baked potato stuffed with cheese and bacon.

As promised, I will get some photos (especially of the room and balcony) on here soon.

Thanks for the report. Sorry there were some gliches along the way but it sounds like you still had a good time. ;)

Thanks for answering my question about the Steakhouse. It's possible I was just unlucky!

kaygela said:
Thanks for the report. Sorry there were some gliches along the way but it sounds like you still had a good time. ;)
It's the "glitches" that make the holiday sometimes! For example, getting stuck on Peter Pan (and singing 'somewhere over the rainbow, way up high!') probably was something we'll remember fondly for a long time because it was such a bizzare moment!

Our only real regret was having to go at the end of a French school holiday and the crowds that came with it. Having been so many times in the middle of October before, it really made us appreciate how lucky we we had been to be able to virtually walk straight on to Big Thunder etc. even in the middle of the day.

As promised, some photos of our room at Sequoia Lodge. If you fancy staying there, it's the one right at the end of the North Wing in the main building - room no. 2360.

The room itself:
Room.jpg

Looking out of the window onto the balcony:
Balcony.jpg

View from the balcony out towards the lake:
ViewOut.jpg

Looking back up at our room from ground level (standing by the lamppost in the previous picture):
FromGround.jpg

As you can see, rather than have to walk all that way round the hotel corridors, it might have been easier for us to just drop a rope ladder from the balcony and climb up!

Also got two short videos (WMV format) that I'm going to try to post - hopefully these links will work, but if not I can always edit them out!

Rock 'n Roller Coaster - 2.7 MB

Adventureland Pirate Ship / Rope Bridge - 1 MB

Hope you enjoy these - I'll post the rest of my photos in the DLP gallery when I get a chance.

What a fabulous room! I agree a rope ladder would have been a good option :rotfl:

Loved your videos!

The one thing I forgot to post and have just remembered when looking at the photos - check out the lime green ribbon on the bag! (on the table in the first photo)

Had so much trouble getting hold of some of this, but now we have, we'll try and remember it every time.

Great room and location :)

So did anyone approach you with the ribbon :teeth:

Reid

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Did anyone see your lime green ribbon?? I wore some on my bumbag on our last visit oto WDW & no-one noticed it! I don't think I'll bother on our next trip to DLP

Disney owl said:
Did anyone see your lime green ribbon?? I wore some on my bumbag on our last visit oto WDW & no-one noticed it! I don't think I'll bother on our next trip to DLP

No one mentioned it, but we're determined to wear it every time regardless. It'll only catch on if enough of us know about it after all!

Great report Steve rob. Know what you mean about the glitches sometimes making the holiday! When we were in WDW, the TTA in Tomorrowland broke down just outside of Space Mountain and it was completely dark although you could see the riders going round inside Space Mountain. Some CM's came along and promised to come back with torches so we could walk out safely, well a good ten minutes had passed by and they had not returned. The ride was pretty crowded and we all took it in our stride, singing camp fire songs and the like, apart from one lady (British, I am ashamed to say:blush: ) who decided she was not going to wait to be rescued even though her husband begged her to. She decided to leg it and when she met up with a CM coming toward her, refused to wait and turned the air VERY blue with her expletives toward him:blush::eek::blush: Off she stormed into the darkness, the next thing we could all see her wandering aimlessly around totally lost inside Space Mountain!!! It was SOOOO funny, it made all the waiting seem "almost worthwhile" and my youngest DD still says more than a year on, "I wonder if that rude lady is still stuck inside Space Mountain!" I did feel a bit sorry for her husband, though.......:worried:

Glad to hear firsthand about Salon Mickey and well done for the lime green ribbons! I wore one tied to my bag the whole 2 weeks we were in WDW. No one approached me and I didn't see anyone else with any either!!! but it hasn't put me off. I will still be wearing it in DLP and it does make it very easy to spot your luggage on the carousel at the airport as well!

Thanks for the videos.
I was curious about the Rock n roll one, as I unfortunately missed it due to logistics (had separated w/ my husband and son, and I had my 5yr old daughter w/me, and I didn't want to just leave her of course)

...but I made up for it with twice on SM2, that's daring for me!

Know what you mean Mon and Thurs were quite heavy days, but thank god for those fast passes given to us w/ the annual passes (which I thought were worth it, BTW). They saved us loads of time on 3 days, Sat, Mon and Thurs.

I gather that the green cloth was a 'forum' id?? I wish I had known.....next time! :wave2:

In WDW I had green ribbons on all our bumbags PLUS on our hand luggage, suitcases and buggy and no-one said a word! :rotfl: (Mind you, they were quite discreet little knots as I underestimated how much you need and barely had enough for 12 items :rotfl2: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter