• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back-- our first trip back to DLR in four years

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
We had THE BEST time on our very short but jam-packed trip to Disneyland. We flew into San Diego on August 27th. Our trip included a week in Coronado, so it made sense to fly in and out of San Diego and make the drive to Disney. Our park days were Aug. 28th and 29th. We had park hoppers both days but only hopped on day two. There was too much to see on day one at DLR, especially since this was our first experience with Galaxy's Edge.

We utilized Genie plus to the max and did most of what we wanted to do. I especially loved having the unlimited photopass photos. That was the real perk of genie plus for me. The photographers were so nice to take a bunch of extra pictures when we told them we had genie plus. It felt like having a private photographer follow you around Disney. We have some real gems that we will frame and treasure forever.

There were only 2 rides that we didn't get to do because of timing and hotel breaks to beat the heat. They were Incredicoaster and Guardians. Sadly, these were both high on the list for my son to ride and it just didn't work out. We will have to return soon and make those a priority.

Our trip started out weird because my husband hurt his foot somehow, I guess while rushing through the airport. We still don't know how it happened. So we spent night one trying to figure out a wheelchair but eventually ended up with an ECV rented from Disney. He missed the first couple hours of day one while he waited for the wheelchair to be delivered to the hotel. It was a big mess but my son and I woke up early and headed to the park without him. Here's our ride list from both days:

Sunday 28th we began at DLR and had park hoppers that we didn't utilize. We rope dropped and were at the rope for Adventureland at 7:40. Here is what we were able to do:

Indy- walked on (the car we were in broke down as soon as we buckled in-- they moved us to another car)
Pirates- walked on
Rise- Posted wait was 40 minutes but we walked right in! We never stopped until we got to the first room. That was a big win for our day.
Took a ton of photopass pictures in Galaxy's Edge
Cantina - walk up

Took a break to have a snack at at the Red Rose Tavern around 10 and called the husband to check his status.
Went to pre-book an ECV for him at the front of the park.
Walked back to the hotel to retrieve him in the wheelchair.

Back to DL at 11.
Smuggler's- LL
Rise- ILL
BTMRR- LL
Lunch at the Plaza Inn - got the parade package and we were disappointed by the food. The sides (carrots and mac and cheese) were gross. The cornbread was just meh. We asked to sub the normal sides and they said no. What a bummer.
Buzz- LL

Back to hotel for break.

Parade- reserved seats were awesome.
BTMRR- rode twice standby with no wait.
Indy- LL
Pirates- walk on no wait during Fantasmic. But here is where is gets weird. We were placed on a boat with a large party of 20-somethings. My husband even said "they look like trouble" as we entered the line. And they were. They screamed and cussed profanities at each other through the entire ride. Made phone calls on their phones (loudly with cussing) and splashed each other throughout the whole ride. They got us soaked too. We were trapped on this boat. They were so gross and violent we were afraid to say anything. So we sat silently and waited what seemed like forever for the ride to end. When we docked I waited for them to leave and approached a cm. I told her what happened and she put us back in the same boat by ourselves. When we finished our second ride there was a very long line for Pirates.

Monday the 29th we began at DCA and park hopped that day. We missed rope drop and arrived at 9:00. Here is what we did:

Toy Story - two times- one standby walked on and one LL
Goofy's- LL
Webslinger's- ILL -- We loved this ride! We intended to ride again that day but never made it back.
Philharmagic- needed a break from the heat
Soarin'- LL
RSR- It had been down all morning. We stopped at Smokejumper's for a snack around 11:30. While we were there I looked on the tip board and it was back up with a 10 min. wait posted. I jumped up from the table and said let's RUN!! Husband's foot was miraculously better that day. So we jogged all the way from Smokejumper's to RSR. It was funny to see the people who knew RSR was back up all doing the same thing, jogging in from every direction. Once we got there the line was out beside Flo's. No one was in Single Rider so we asked if it was open. They said yes and we walked right on! Hubby and I were even in the same car. Meanwhile they opened the ILL back up while we were riding so we grabbed 3 of those. We got off the ride and walked back on for our ILL. The wait was less than 10 mins at that point.

We made a mad dash across the park to DLR after that for our lunch reservation at Blue Bayou. We enjoyed the new menu. Son had the vegetarian pasta dish, I had the watermelon salad and hubby had the monte cristo. We all had the gumbo starter. We waited 15 minutes max for our waterside table. We all agreed the food was excellent. Better than prior years.

Hotel break- ordered pizza from Marri's for dinner

Space- LL
Buzz- LL
Waited for fireworks but they were canceled.
BTMRR- two times standby while everyone else waited for Fantasmic- we sat on the bench by the water and saw the actors prepping on the Pirate ship before the show. They ran through the whole routine so we got a little private viewing to ourselves.

Note about our hotel, the Home2 Suites. We absolutely loved it. The room was so big and the kitchenette came in so handy. The morning breakfast was plentiful and the breakfast ladies were all so sweet and helpful. The walk felt very easy compared to the Candy Cane. It took us 7 minutes to get from the front door to DL security. It was a breeze.

We had a magical trip and can't wait to return. Thanks for all the help planning. I know I had so many questions and your answers helped greatly.

Last edited:
Great report! Thanks for sharing!! I had actually been wondering about the walk from Home2 since it seems set back some and around the corner. Sounds like a pretty quick walk!

What a wonderful trip! I'm so glad you had a good time. I hope your husband's foot is ok. That's such a drag about Pirates. I've had rowdy people in the boat before but not as much as the group you had to ride with. It's great the CM let you ride again on your own.

Wonderful report. Thanks for posting it. I'm curious, which way did you walk to the park from Home2 Suites?

What a wonderful trip! I'm so glad you had a good time. I hope your husband's foot is ok. That's such a drag about Pirates. I've had rowdy people in the boat before but not as much as the group you had to ride with. It's great the CM let you ride again on your own.
The foot thing was so weird. By day two he could walk on it perfectly fine. Yes, the pirates thing was a real drag. We had never experienced anything like it.

Thanks for the report! I just booked Home2 Suites for December after reading this, and there wasn't much on this board about it otherwise. (I suspect the name doesn't help much with the search engine... Home2 Suites or Home2Suites or Home 2 Suites? ha!) The "new" part sounds ideal, we need 3 beds, and the full kitchen is a nice perk (DH has dietary restrictions). For whatever reason, DD17's first question was "does it have breakfast?" and I read off your description of it - so thank you specifically for that lol!

Thanks for the report! I just booked Home2 Suites for December after reading this, and there wasn't much on this board about it otherwise. (I suspect the name doesn't help much with the search engine... Home2 Suites or Home2Suites or Home 2 Suites? ha!) The "new" part sounds ideal, we need 3 beds, and the full kitchen is a nice perk (DH has dietary restrictions). For whatever reason, DD17's first question was "does it have breakfast?" and I read off your description of it - so thank you specifically for that lol!
Happy to hear my report helped you! My hubby said “don’t tell everyone how great the hotel was”… oops! Too late. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter