Just back....on sodium detox.

Kenzientysmom

Mouseketeer
Maybe it is just me, but I found a lot of the food during our trip to be overly salted. I couldn't eat the Kona Turkey Sandwich and the Mongolian Beef at Sunshine Seasons. I also found the entree course at Liberty Tree Tavern and the Steak and veggies at Be Our Guest to be very salty as well.

I do eat out a lot locally and hardly ever have this problem.

I have had the same issue. I found adding lower sodium sides to balance it out a bit but I usually shed the salt in two days of being home.

Oh my Heaven's, yes!!! We think EVERYTHING at WDW is super high in sodium. I typically blow up like a balloon from horrible water retention because of the sodium. It takes me about two or three days after we get back to debloat. I am always baffled at the number of people we see emptying out the salt shaker on ANY food at WDW. What's truly terrifying are the number of people we see who empty half the salt shaker on their food BEFORE they even taste it to see if it NEEDS food. Holy heck, I wouldn't be able to eat anything there if I did that. Just, ugh!!! :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Maybe it is just me, but I found a lot of the food during our trip to be overly salted.

1) This is by design.
2) You can find good examples at Le Cellier.
3) By adding sodium, a person's taste buds are affected in three areas of the mouth-tongue-throat.
4) The body, over millennia, has become accustomed to "salt" and "sweat", and foods with these seem to taste better to the mind. *
5) It is a known fact, and taught in cooking schools (our neighbor was a head instructor at Le Cordon Bleu).
6) So, if you think you are on Sodium Overload, you are !

* Some of people gush over the steaks at Le Cellier, which are bathed in sodium. In fact, some contain more than two days the recommended sodium intake for a grown man. It is a cheap way to make average or mediocre food taste more expensive.

1) This is by design.
3) By adding sodium, a person's taste buds are affected in three areas of the mouth-tongue-throat.
4) The body, over millennia, has become accustomed to "salt" and "sweat", and foods with these seem to taste better to the mind. *
5) It is a known fact, and taught in cooking schools (our neighbor was a head instructor at Le Cordon Bleu).

* Some of people gush over the steaks at Le Cellier, which are bathed in sodium. In fact, some contain more than two days the recommended sodium intake for a grown man. It is a cheap way to make average or mediocre food taste more expensive.
Exactly... and more salted foods usually cause added/xtra drinks thus more $$$ made

I am on a low sodium diet and Have to be extremely careful at WDW Keep asking customer service ans send emails to ask them to include the salt content or add a low salt menu to the allergy list but to no avail. Just have to be careful.

1) This is by design.

Which is why the middle name of the flavor enhancer "MSG" (a/k/a "Accent" to those of us over 40) is sodium. MSG really does have the chemical reaction with our tongue that makes food taste better. And it really is high in sodium.

This is why I can't eat at Chefs de France. They should just change the names of their entrees to "salt on a plate". O'hana breakfast, too. "Family-style salt lick"

I agree about Chefs de France!! My tongue literally burned after trying to eat their mashed potatoes and green beans. The chicken at BOG dinner was also super salty in May.

Gained 10 pounds on my 10 night trip to wdw. Just got back on Sunday 2 days ago. Lost 7 pounds so far. You lose weight fast when you get back because of all the sodium.

I am on a low sodium diet and Have to be extremely careful at WDW Keep asking customer service ans send emails to ask them to include the salt content or add a low salt menu to the allergy list but to no avail. Just have to be careful.

Do you mention your diet when you order? This worries me so much. At the beginning of the year, my DH and I went on a low-sodium diet after he had some issues with high blood pressure. We try to limit our daily intake to 1500 mg. We haven't been to Disney since we've made the change. His favorite thing about Disney is the food, so I'm trying to figure out how we can still enjoy our meals but stick to a somewhat reasonable amount of sodium. We will be eating at--
Boma (breakfast)
Jiko
Yak & Yeti
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Kona Cafe
Art Smith's Homecoming
We are also snacking at the F&W Festival a couple of days for lunch, and we are going to an HEA Fireworks Dessert Party.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Do you mention your diet when you order? This worries me so much. At the beginning of the year, my DH and I went on a low-sodium diet after he had some issues with high blood pressure. We try to limit our daily intake to 1500 mg. We haven't been to Disney since we've made the change. His favorite thing about Disney is the food, so I'm trying to figure out how we can still enjoy our meals but stick to a somewhat reasonable amount of sodium. We will be eating at--
Boma (breakfast)
Jiko
Yak & Yeti
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Kona Cafe
Art Smith's Homecoming
We are also snacking at the F&W Festival a couple of days for lunch, and we are going to an HEA Fireworks Dessert Party.
Any suggestions?

1200mg sodium max here...
You can call dining and have them add 'no salt' to your ressie.
I didn't do this but was VERY careful. No bread, cheese and very limited meat. I could only have a taste of meat at Ohana.
Oh, the water I drank this trip!!!! Easily topped 100oz./day!
Those things, plus all the walking and I lost 3# in 6 days. I typically would gain 10# in the week we were at WDW.
GO DISNEY! LOL

Good luck!

I've noticed things at Disney taste crazy salty to me as well. For example, everyone raves about Boma, and while I love the buffet, it is all WAAAAYYY salty for me (and I do not hesitate on the salt at home) especially the soups, which I have just given up on. To compensate I seriously just ask for extra water and try to carb or veggie up whatever I find overly salty so I can still try to enjoy all the food.

Last edited:
I am getting a bit worried about our meals at Chefs de France, BOG anf LTT. It is very rare that I salt anything and I don't use much salt when cooking even. :scared:

We've eaten dinner at BOG on two separate occasions and have never noticed the food being extra salty. I ordered the steak both times and it was delicious.

I don't think it's WDW exclusive. Most out of home dining is loaded with sodium. It's just at WDW.
1. people are eating out for most meals for an extended time
2. we are eating more.

3. plus those resort mugs. I think in our weekly trips I drink enough diet coke to equal what we drink normally in 3 months at home. We never buy for home. But I love fountain with loads of ice. So I am always filling up. That's a lot of sodium we normally don't get

I just recalled we ate 3 weeks ago at The Skipper Canteen ( awesome food). My mom ordered the noodle bowl dish ( chicken or tofu). We both commented how great it was. You could taste the lemongrass and other asian spices. BUT it was not salty. I recall telling my mom "wow normally soups like this are so salty at restaurant" ( nasty Ramen noodle salt. But it wasnt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter