Just Back...Le Cellier Was Awful!

TinkerbellMama

DIS Veteran
We just checked out of POP yesterday after a week of Disney fun, and we shut down Epcot with EMH last night. :cool1:

I will post a more detailed trip report later (elsewhere), but I wanted to post specifically about our experience at Le Cellier. This was our first time eating there, and it was eagerly anticipated by all...especially my dh, a steak-lover through and through.

I have to say that all 4 of us dining (not including the baby) were very disappointed with every aspect of this meal. The food was barely passable, the service was terrible, and the price was totally outrageous for what we got. We were on the DDP and STILL wished we had not wasted TS credits on this place. :rotfl: Let's put it this way: my husband said he could get the exact same quality steak at Smokey Bones, and that was the nicest thing any of us could say about our meals. We would not go back. I understand that it's the favorite WDW restaurant of many, many Disers, but for us it was unacceptable. :confused3 I'm sure some of you will vehemently disagree with my review, but I wanted to post a counterpoint to all the raves I've seen here on the boards. My advice is to enjoy the wide variety of ethnic foods available in WS and skip the steakhouse until your next family night out in your hometown! :bitelip:

Sorry you had such a bad meal...we had a nice meal although I had to send my steak back because the filet was such poor quality, I could barely cut through it and I eat my steaks rare.

They apologised and offered to give me another one but it kinda put me off the steak. DH's steak however was delicious so maybe it was just bad luck. We were lucky though and had pretty good service.

Did you speak to anyone at the restaurant about the service?

1) Been hearing more and more complaints.
2) We have Le Cellier Sunday evening, so I will let you know our review.

We'll be there Monday for a late lunch. I'm anxious to see if it's changed since last year. Will report when I get back......

We have gone a couple times to Le Cellier. Neither time has been over the top or even great. It is on par with our local average steakhouses in terms of quality. Prices are ridiculous for food that you can get so much cheaper at other restaurants. We don't waste or money there anymore.

We just ate at Le Cellier for the first time last month. I was disappointed with our dining experience as well. Although the food was good, it wasn't anything spectacular. I'm afraid my expectations were too high after reading all the fabulous reviews on the DIS. I just felt the atmosphere at the restaurant was really lacking due to the number of people crammed inside...it was loud and you could barely squeeze in and out of your table. But, as I've mentioned in previous posts, I don't blame the management as they're just trying to accomodate as many people as they can due to the popularity of the restaurant.

TinkerbellMama said:
We just checked out of POP yesterday after a week of Disney fun, and we shut down Epcot with EMH last night. :cool1:

I will post a more detailed trip report later (elsewhere), but I wanted to post specifically about our experience at Le Cellier. This was our first time eating there, and it was eagerly anticipated by all...especially my dh, a steak-lover through and through.

I have to say that all 4 of us dining (not including the baby) were very disappointed with every aspect of this meal. The food was barely passable, the service was terrible, and the price was totally outrageous for what we got. We were on the DDP and STILL wished we had not wasted TS credits on this place. :rotfl: Let's put it this way: my husband said he could get the exact same quality steak at Smokey Bones, and that was the nicest thing any of us could say about our meals. We would not go back. I understand that it's the favorite WDW restaurant of many, many Disers, but for us it was unacceptable. :confused3 I'm sure some of you will vehemently disagree with my review, but I wanted to post a counterpoint to all the raves I've seen here on the boards. My advice is to enjoy the wide variety of ethnic foods available in WS and skip the steakhouse until your next family night out in your hometown! :bitelip:

Thanks for the honest report. Hope you let them know as well!

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience there. I dined there in August and loved it. I do agree that the tables are cramped and would have liked more room. However, my food was very good and our server could not have been better.

It's always good to try things for yourself and see. There are some places here that people rave about and you may not like at all and vice-versa. I always say, take the reviews with a grain of salt and go ahead try places you are interested in.

Sorry that you had a disappointing experience there. We are going in Feb. and I hope that everything goes ok. It seems that lately there are quite a few bad reviews for Le Cellier. Hopefully that will change.

I agree that LeCellier is comparable to average chain steakhouses, but with theme park pricing. We've always had ok food, but never have convinced that it was a must-do for us, in terms of food or ambience.

We haven't eaten them in 5 years at least. I thought maybe we'd give it a try in Aug, but never got around to it.

Sorry your dinnner was a bust. . Very disappointing.

herc.

scrump said:
I agree that LeCellier is comparable to average chain steakhouses, but with theme park pricing. We've always had ok food, but never have convinced that it was a must-do for us, in terms of food or ambience.

ITA! DH & I ate there in Feb '06. Yes, it was okay..but nothing like the rave reviews I read on the DIS before we left for WDW. I will say for off-season when we were there...it was PACKED to capacity.

We can eat fabulous steaks at such places as: Mortons, Chophouse 111, Capital Grille, Smith & Wollensky and pay the SAME price as Le Cellier. Now those restaurants I listed are MUST-DO's for both ambience and quality of food. :thumbsup2

Sheesh, if I want a mediocre steak and surly service I can just go to my local Outback. We are definitely skipping Le Cellier......

I have realised after spending so much time reading these boards is basically everyone has different experiences and if you really want to try something than do so with an open mind. We enjoyed the food at Le Cellier so much we ate there twice our past trip...we loved Sci Fi last year but this year it was so so for us and while Chef Mickey's was good for breakfast we thought the food at lunch was horrible.

We had the same exp at LeCellier in Sept - we won't be back! That steak is NOT a quality steak. I've had better at the chain restaurant up the road for half the price. It truly was the worst meal of the week and put us all in a bad mood (service, when we got it, was snotty).

You won't hear praises about it from me. It's the only restaurant at WDW we've vowed to never try again.

I wonder why so many on these boards rave about Le Cellier if the beef quality is so poor? We haven't been to Le Cellier for years (except for a F&W Festival Signature dinner there once, which I don't really count).

We tried 'Ohana due to the raves on these boards. We thought the food quality was worse than poor. We were very disappointed. Sounds like the same situation with Le Cellier. Thanks for the warning.

My family and I were at LeCellier about two weeks ago. We had the dining plan and booked an ADR based on all of the overwhelming positive reviews that we had seen on these message boards. I have to agree with most of the posts to this specific message board - LeCellier is OK, but not worthy of all the hype that I have seen in the past.

The pretzel bread was pretty good. My DS3, DW and myself had the cheddar soup based on the many glowing reviews that I have seen in the past. It was OK but the bacon in the soup overpowered the cheddar. I love bold flavors but this was too much for me. It is also a very heavy soup. If you love bacon, this soup is for you. If not, stay away from it. We ate at Coral Reef three days before our visit to LeCellier and we all think that the lobster soup at Coral Reef was way better than the cheddar at LeCellier.

My filet was OK - I have had better, I have had worse. I have to agree with many of the other posters here in that you are paying a premium price at LeCellier but you are not getting a premium cut of meat.

We may go back to LeCellier some day but not until after we try some different restaurants at WDW.

oh, now I am bummed. We are eating at Le Cellier for Christmas eve supper because I had read so many good things about it and my DH loves a good steak.

Well, I guess we will make the best of it. We will be at Disneyworld for Christmas after all, how bad can the food get when you are on vacation having a great time with family.

I've never had a bad steak at Le Cellier and if I did I'd send it back. I do agree that there is a lot of hype around the restaurant that may not be deservered (it is small and cramped, the food isn't "amazing"). I think the food is good, pretzel bread great, and talking to a server about his or her home is amazing. The dining reviews here are just opinions and I've found that many people can't stand the places I love and vice versa. Don't let someone's review dissuade you from trying the place, your experience may vary - just because the OP didn't like it or have a good meal, many people still do. I enjoy reading about other's experiences, positive or negative, but I take them all with a grain of salt, and only use them as ONE tool in helping me decide where (or where not) to eat.

I will be the odd guy out and rave. Sorry you had such poor experiences but our was outrageously good! I was worried as we had a 7:20 adr- but it certainly wasnt packed in where we were .

Had the cheese soup it was good- mom had shrimp cocktail and really liked it-
I am not a huge beef eater but still got filet on mushroom risotto w/ fried parsnips. Mom got same - they were both delish and cooked as requested.
Even cooked med-well mine was still like butta.

Creme brulee combo for me, I loved the maple! DM had that chocolate whiskey cake and it was awesome- really chocolatey- not sugary chocolatey- just real chocolatey.

Kids had the standard kid grub.

I will go back and hopefully have another good experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter