Just Back - Handicap Parking at Animal Kingdom

ajcrusher

Earning My Ears
We went to Animal Kingdom last Wednesday and although we had our handicap placard hanging from the rear view mirror the whole trip, for some reason, we weren't put in handicap parking when we arrived (which was right at opening). We followed the crowd and I thought we were heading to a place for a tram pickup but ended up having to walk all the way inside the park. Because of severe knee arthritis, I was in tears by the time we arrived at the entrance. Because we weren't in handicap parking, there were no courtesy wheelchairs around to use to get into the park but we were able to get one as we were leaving. I don't know if there's been some sort of change to the parking procedure or if our placard was just overlooked. Has anyone had a similar experience at Animal Kingdom? Parking at the other parks went very smoothly with no issues.

Lana

You have to follow the blue line to get to handicap parking at all the parks.

I'm so sorry you were in pain! But I am glad that you started this thread. Would you mind telling me about the rest of your experiences with parking? I have a total(revised) hip repalcement, with lots of complications. We are driving down and renting an ECV, but my DH doesn't feel it necessary to drive to the parks, he would just rather take the buses, I think I would prefer driving, since dealing with the bus/ECV was quite difficult and emotional for me last trip. :sad:It is the part I am looking least forward to this trip.

Maybe we missed it but we didn't see any blue line for handicap parking. My husband even mentioned as we were driving that it seemed like a weird way that we'd never been before. But we were in line with other cars so we didn't just happen into some odd entrance. We parked in handicap parking when we went last year and even passed the handicap lot as we were walking in. But there wasn't any sort of designation for separate parking that we could see. We passed a parking lot attendant who directed us into the lot and I thought maybe he would direct us to another lot after seeing our tag but didn't.

I was most worried about parking at Magic Kingdom since I've heard that it's better not to try to park in the handicap lot there. But we forgot to take the placard down and were directed to it. There is no tram from the handicap lot at MK but there were tons of courtesy wheelchairs when we arrived that morning. It wasn't a short walk but it wasn't the longest I've walked parking at MK either even with a tram so I can't really complain about it. Epcot & Hollywood Studios were fine. I don't remember anything particular about either of them. We stay off property and used the condo shuttles last year and I much prefer driving too. Good luck to you on your upcoming trip.

Lana

Maybe we missed it but we didn't see any blue line for handicap parking. My husband even mentioned as we were driving that it seemed like a weird way that we'd never been before. But we were in line with other cars so we didn't just happen into some odd entrance. We parked in handicap parking when we went last year and even passed the handicap lot as we were walking in. But there wasn't any sort of designation for separate parking that we could see. We passed a parking lot attendant who directed us into the lot and I thought maybe he would direct us to another lot after seeing our tag but didn't.

I was most worried about parking at Magic Kingdom since I've heard that it's better not to try to park in the handicap lot there. But we forgot to take the placard down and were directed to it. There is no tram from the handicap lot at MK but there were tons of courtesy wheelchairs when we arrived that morning. It wasn't a short walk but it wasn't the longest I've walked parking at MK either even with a tram so I can't really complain about it. Epcot & Hollywood Studios were fine. I don't remember anything particular about either of them. We stay off property and used the condo shuttles last year and I much prefer driving too. Good luck to you on your upcoming trip.

Lana

AK handicap lot in right in front near the entrance. You follow the blue line which is located all the way to the right(right lane). Most cars park in the main lot which is to the left (left lane).

I'm so sorry you were in pain! But I am glad that you started this thread. Would you mind telling me about the rest of your experiences with parking? I have a total(revised) hip repalcement, with lots of complications. We are driving down and renting an ECV, but my DH doesn't feel it necessary to drive to the parks, he would just rather take the buses, I think I would prefer driving, since dealing with the bus/ECV was quite difficult and emotional for me last trip. :sad:It is the part I am looking least forward to this trip.
We drove to the parks with the ecv but it was quite heavy and hard to lift out of the minivan. Taking it apart and putting it back together was easy but the individual parts were still a little heavy I would take my time and use the buses, practice makes perfect

Lana

One way to avoid the long walking problem, and not be dependent on the courtesy chairs (which can disappear quite quickly) is to have the driver of the car drop you off out front, then go park.

If walking from the lot at AK to the entrance is too long and painful, perhaps bringing your own chair could help? Walking around some of the resorts can be just as long and painful, IMO, and I chair could help out there as well.

The handicapped parking lot at AK and MK are not likely to move or be redirected.
The lots at the Studio and at Epcot are different situation. Both of them frequently fill up and are directed to an overflow area or to drop off. If you just follow the blue line, you may find yourself at a filled lot or dead end.

Handicapped parking passes hanging from the rear view mirror are easy for CMs directing cars to overlook.
We always make sure to point it out to each CM directing traffic that we get to. We either take it off and hold it up where they can see it or we point it out very obviously. Without doing that, the CM is likely to just keep directing you on, along with the other cars and you will end up in the regular lot.

As another poster pointed out, another option is to use the drop off points. Let the CM in the payment booth know you want to do a drop off and they will direct you where to go.

Even in the handicapped lots and bus stops, you can't count on there being a courtesy wheelchair to use. Especially early in the day, they may be taken to get into the park faster than they are returned to the handicapped parking area.

If you have a wheelchair with you and plan to rent an ECV in the park, they will usually hold your wheelchair for you while you are using the ECV.

Am I right in thinking that there are no trams that come to the handicapped lots? That is what I thought I remembered reading.

Do they even have the trams in any park, but Magic Kingdom? I can't remember seeing them anywhere else.

All of the parking lots have trams but none of them are for handicap parking.

I went with my parents and my dad needed accessible parking.
I was driving and tried to drop him off as close the entrance as possible but it was a challenge. I parked in the non-handicapped parking b/c I realized that with the tram I was better off (for him) to have a ride to the car than to navigate the layout of the parking lot. It was also a very slow day (is there a less than level 1 day?) so the CMs had some good ideas for us.

I'm so sorry you had a tough day. Hope you are having less pain now.

:drive:

All of the parking lots have trams but none of them are for handicap parking.
Yes.
Michigan is correct. None of the handicapped lots have tram service.

ALL of the regular lots do. WDW actually recommends that people who have mobility concerns and do not have a wheelchair or ECV consider parking in the regular lot and using the trams. They will have a shorter walk parking in the regular lot and using the tram.

If you don't have an ECV or non-foldable wheelchair, then using regular parking plus the tram can be better than handicapped parking. Show your placard to the CM directing traffic at the tram lane and he should point out a space (may be a painted spot) next to the tram lane. If he doesn't and the other CM's are working quite far down the row, you might try a quick loop the loop to commence a new row at the tram lane.

Even in the handicapped lot there is no guarantee that there will be a "public" wheelchair available.

Thanks everyone! We sure didn't see any blue line or anything marked for handicap parking but I guess we just missed it. Although I've used an ecv in the parks for our last 3 trips, this is the first time I've needed real assistance getting from the parking lot to the park. It's a learning experience and one we'll watch out for next time. I wanted to make sure there hadn't been a change in handicap parking for AK that others might need to know about. Thanks!

Lana

Thanks everyone! We sure didn't see any blue line or anything marked for handicap parking but I guess we just missed it. Although I've used an ecv in the parks for our last 3 trips, this is the first time I've needed real assistance getting from the parking lot to the park. It's a learning experience and one we'll watch out for next time. I wanted to make sure there hadn't been a change in handicap parking for AK that others might need to know about. Thanks!

Lana
Just make sure to make it obvious to the CMs that you ave a handicapped parking permit and you will have no issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter