Just back from WDW...no stroller!

padams

<font color=darkorchid>Hey, I've never posted on a
DH, DSs ages 4 and 6 and I just returned from 4 days at WDW. We went to a different park each day- MK, Epcot, MGM, and then AK. In previous years, we have rented a double stroller at the parks. Given that DSs have not used a stroller at home since they were each 2 yo, and inspired by a thread about how old is too old for a stroller, I decided that we would not rent a stroller (unless we were desperate ;) ) this year. It was great!!!!!!!!!!! We never realized how much time we spent in the parks "loading and unloading" DSs from the stroller, parking and then finding the stroller, etc. Even DS 6yo noticed that we were able to go on more rides and see more attractions without a stroller. With the shortened park hours, we were at the parks from opening to closing (yes, even Epcot). We did strategically schedule "sitting time" in either shows or for the parades. We also sat down for our snack breaks. DH and I only occasionally carried DS 4yo on long stretches such as walking from the transportation area into the park, or from the back of a park to the exit. DS 6yo walked the entire trip. I wondered what we would do without the storage space of the stroller for water bottles, etc. but we found that we just didn't carry as much stuff around (and didn't miss it). If you are debating whether to rent or bring a stroller for older kids, I recommend trying to not use one. We felt such a sense of freedom without the stroller!

Thanks for your post. We're going down in late May with our DS age 6. WE have always taken a stroller for him, but last time we decided we'd try is without this year. He's so big, and I just can't take anything heavier or more expensive than an umbrella stroller. So, we're already talking it up with him. I'm glad to know that it's possible! (I'm still thinking that we can always rent a stroller if necessary. DH just says, "Oh we won't need it!")

Last time we went we had 2 6 year olds, 1 8 and 1 9 year old and they ALL fought to be in the stroller. I even have a picture of hubby at Epcot in it!!!! I think I was the only one now to have a try at it. They were ALL so tired that my older son did not even care how (silly) he looked. At one point 3 at a time were in it. It was REALLY hot. This trip (in hopefully cool April) I do not plan on renting one (the twins are now 8).

(you mean I have to carry all my STUFF now?!) hee hee

I can't wait till our next trip when we will be stroller free! We did a local park last summer without our strollers and I loved it! I hate pushing the strollers, getting the kids in and out, trying to find it when you get out of rides. In October we took ours with us but we decided it would be the last trip. I would rather go back to the hotel or take lots of breaks!

Even when our kids were 5 and 3, we realized that it was easier not to get one at MK because everything is so close together. But we will probably still get a single at EPCOT, but only EPCOT, this summer and the kids are going to be 10, 8 and almost 5. I bet the 8 and 5 year olds will take turns. The 10 yr old is very big for his age (wears size 14 levis) and I doubt he'll get in this trip. I definitely agree that the unloading, parking, finding and loading takes up a lot of time.

Thanks for this post! Our DD will be a few months shy of 4 years when we head to Disney in late November. DH has already questioned whether we should pull the stroller out of the attic and take it along. It's great to hear your positive experience, and I'm hoping we'll be able to report the same this time next year!:)

DD turned 3 on our dec trip and we only rent a stroller at epcot. In the MK it is more trouble than it is worth, with the exits being far from the entrance, I felt like we would be back tracking half the day just to get the stroller. Epcot has greater distance between everything, so we rent there.
I know I am in the minority but I can't see having a 6+ yo in a stroller.

Well, I guess we're in the minority on this one. In Sept. my DD for only 3 months shy of 4yr. and she was constantly in it. Going back in May with 14mon. old and bringing her stroller and the 4 yr. old one also. If the baby has one, I know she'll have to have one. She wants to get in them at the Mall.

I thought it would be prudent to throw a caution into this thread. Seems a few families are deciding whether to take or have available a stroller for their just-turning 4 year old children.

Our daughter turned 4 last month. She's been to WDW about 30 times. I couldn't imagine going to the parks without her stroller. There is no way she could walk all day from one end of the park to the other. There are times that she absolutely needs the stroller. Plus, it's helpful for me as well. Allows for a swifter pace when needed.

I sure would hate for someone to think "maybe we don't need a stroller" and then be miserable without it. Of course, you could always rent one. But I just enjoy the convenience of having ours.

Just think it through carefully and decide.

my bro used a stroller until he was 8...the main reason was b/c we go for 9 days trips...after 9 days I feel like i need a stoller sometimes! LOL! :D

Let me say so that no one misunderstands, I think strollers are one of the greatest inventions. I still own several that are in my garage. I only posted this thread because I was amazed on our recent WDW trip at the difference in touring with and without a stroller. We rented a stroller on 3 previous trips to WDW when DSs were 1 and 3, 2 and 4, and 3 and 5. Older DS was still in the stroller constantly during our WDW trips when he was 4 and 5. If we had rented a stroller this year, DSs would have climbed right in (BTW they never asked us to get a stroller this year). I merely wanted to encourage parents (of older kids) who are wondering whether to rent a stroller or not to try not having one. As I said when I started this thread, if we needed a stroller this year, we would have rented one. Every parent needs to make the decisions that are best for his or her family.

We went last April and took two strollers one bigger one and one umbrella type. My DDs 3 and 5 were fighting over who would get in the bigger one. Vellamint, you've got me laughing with the image of your kids and hubby.

Anyway we thought it helped us to go faster because the kids didn't get distracted and we could push them at a brisk pace. Our kid's are heavy too, I don't think we could carry them very far.

I haven't decided what we will do for our trip in June. I think we will need at least one especially for dd-4, she will wander off if something catches her eye.

This has given me something to think about. Hopefully I can have a talk with DD-6 and not have to have 2 strollers, especially since she is definitely to big for an umbrella stroller.

When my DS was 4 we didn't have a stroller to bring, so we planned on renting one in the parks. I wish we had bought a cheap umbrella stroller before we went just for Dixie Landings. We really needed one at the resort. When we went back, when he was 5 1/2, he wouldn't have even considered getting in a stroller. I think it was being in Kindergarten.

We leave in 19 days and we will definately have our stroller with us. Not only is it nice for my 4year old to take a break in. She can't keep up with the older kids if she walks to entire time. Also, I need to lug all the stuff we carry into the parks. DH and I went alone in Sept and we really missed having it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter