Just back from great weekend and some good eatin'

lorimay

Strolling along...
We spent one night at the Gran Destino Tower, which was amazing and beautiful. Loved the mattress.
Then we spent two nights at The Grand Flordian. The room was fine, we were in Big Pine Key and they are set to turn this building into DVC studios soon. They do need a refurb. But we were they for the atmosphere and location.
On to the food.

Our first night we walked over to Three Bridges for dinner, I did a "join the waitlist" right at 4:30, we were seated within 10 minutes of that.
We both ordered the Sangria Flight. It was ok, but being outside the ice melted really quickly and they became watered down.
We ate kinda strange here, I had the Villa Lago Salad with a chicken breast which was really good and I would order that again.
My husband wasn't that hungry so he just ordered the corn dip which he really enjoyed.
Then he decided to get another drink it was a margarita with Grand Marnier and he ordered the cheese dip with the chorizo in it.
He thought the corn one was the better of the two.
Then we split the Churros with chocolate sauce, yum, yum, yum. These were so good and crispy.

Friday morning we planned to drive over to try the new restaurant Portillos that just opened in Orlando. But at 9am for the heck of it I opened the Disney app to see what was available and BAM a Topolino's was sitting there waiting for us! I grabbed it as fast as I could.
This was our second time having brunch there. It was again amazing.
We started with the POG juice and coffee and a pastry basket they bring to the table. They give you a plate of strawberry jelly, butter and Nutella to go with pastries.
We then shared the fruit plate, which was delicious.
We both ordered the Butcher steak with polenta and a couple scrambled eggs. My husband asked for a small side of the sour cream waffle too.
The steak and polenta were just delicious, I could eat just a big bowl of the polenta and be a happy camper. Steaks were cooked perfectly. The waffle was light and fluffy, so good.
We had the best server ever named Alfie, he was so friendly and happy, he made the meal even better.

Friday evening about 4:30ish we walked over to The Enchanted Rose Lounge, we want early because I heard this place gets crazy busy real fast. We decided to sit outside on the patio, overlooking the kids splash pad, the Lagoon and The Polynesian. We were alone out there for a good 30 minutes before others came out. I had an Aperol Spritz and my husband had a couple Sunni Margarita's. What a beautiful view and good drinks, we had a rain storm while we were out there but we were covered. There was a nice breeze and it was quite enjoyable.
We left there around 5:45 to head over to Kona Cafe for some bread pudding. We took the monorail to the TTS and then a boat to the Polynesian dock. The waitlist was an hour long so we sat in the lobby area near 'OHana's and saw another storm approaching. It was so quite up there, we use to the chaos when 'Ohana's is opened.
We were seated by 7:30. I had the sticky wings appetizer, these were very messy, but very good. My husband had what I think he said was a Daschi bowl with pork belly and ramen noodles.
Then of course we shared the bread pudding, it was so good, They gave a huge piece, we couldn't even finish it.
The rain never let up the rest of the night. Took the bus back to MK then we saw the boats were running which was surprising with the weather, but they had out bigger enclosed boats not the open small one with the blue covers.

***Enchanted Rose was full to the rim when we left there. So go early if you can.

Saturday night we our reservation for Jaleo. I was so excited to try this place. It was a good meal, not sure I would go back again. Jose Andres has a place in Miami (closer to home) we might try for the Paella sometime though.
Jaleo is a Tapas bar this is what we shared and enjoyed:

Super Flauta: with tomatoes, Iberio ham and Manchego cheese. It was ok but the bread was kind of hard, so that was disappointing. This was made like a sandwich.

Shrimp with olive oil and garlic: the shrimp were delicious, very similar to shrimp scampi, but the bread they gave us to dunk into the sauce was hard as a rock.

Carne Asada with piquillo peppers: this was good, the peppers were the star of the dish.

Pollo al ajillo with garlic sauce and black garlic puree: this was good as well.

We were really looking forward to the mushroom dish we had seen many people review and rave about, sadly they took them off the menu.

We then walked over to Amorette's to get a mini cake to share for later. This is the one we got:
Amorette's Petit Cake:
Eleven layers of Red Velvet Cake, Chocolate Cake, Cherry Mousse, Chocolate Mousse, Raspberry Pate De Fruit Jelly, and Italian Buttercream
It was so good.
We brought it back to the Grand Floridian and sat outside by Gaspilla's, we had a table with a perfect view of the castle too. I had seen on Instagram that there was going to be a rehearsal of Happily Ever After at MK after it closed. so we got some drinks and snacks and our cake and waited for two hours with about 50 other people until 11:30pm and then the magic started.

Let me just say this was the most magical thing I have ever seen at Disney, I will remember it for the rest of my life.

There were three cast members standing next to us when it started and they all screamed with happiness and started crying. I just broke down too. It was such a feeling of pure happiness for them. They said it was the first firework lit at MK since last March.
I didn't realize that there was about 10 other cast members behind us watching and then when Tinkerbelle flew from the castle they all just went nuts screaming and cheering. I'm telling you magical.
They even piped in the music into the courtyard ( I was surprised because it was so late).
I swear I floated back to our room. So lucky to have been there to witness those CM's and their reactions.

Our final meal yesterday was The Boathouse brunch with the dueling Piano players.
It was another great meal and our last before we headed home.

I had the Yacht club club sandwich, this is a must try, very good.
My husband had the Belgium waffles with bacon and a side of eggs.
We enjoyed the music, I hope it sticks around a while.

It was a great weekend, we didn't go to any parks we just relaxed swam, rode the skyline, boats and monorail and enjoyed each others company. Celebrating 39 years together.

Wonderful reviews! Thank you so much for taking the time to post them! And Happy Anniversary!

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm sorry to hear about Jaleo, we've been looking forward to trying it out when we take our trip in a few months.

We brought it back to the Grand Floridian and sat outside by Gaspilla's, we had a table with a perfect view of the castle too. I had seen on Instagram that there was going to be a rehearsal of Happily Ever After at MK after it closed. so we got some drinks and snacks and our cake and waited for two hours with about 50 other people until 11:30pm and then the magic started.

Let me just say this was the most magical thing I have ever seen at Disney, I will remember it for the rest of my life.

There were three cast members standing next to us when it started and they all screamed with happiness and started crying. I just broke down too. It was such a feeling of pure happiness for them. They said it was the first firework lit at MK since last March.
I didn't realize that there was about 10 other cast members behind us watching and then when Tinkerbelle flew from the castle they all just went nuts screaming and cheering. I'm telling you magical.
They even piped in the music into the courtyard ( I was surprised because it was so late).
I swear I floated back to our room. So lucky to have been there to witness those CM's and their reactions.

Sounds amazing. :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter