• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from Fantasy - 3/9-16/19

Oh I see. Yes in mixology we all did get to pour one drink which was a layered shot. I'm glad overall you had fun.

I'm old enough to remember when in mixology ppl got to prepare ALL cocktails. It was so much fun.
Now its only 1 drink.
In this past cruise a couple of weeks ago I asked the bartender in charge of the session as to why this changed and he indicated that more and more ppl were abusing the mixology tasting by pouring ridiculous amounts of alcohol on drinks to basically get them drunk quicker, or get a bigger bang for their buck.

I'm old enough to remember when in mixology ppl got to prepare ALL cocktails. It was so much fun.
Now its only 1 drink.
In this past cruise a couple of weeks ago I asked the bartender in charge of the session as to why this changed and he indicated that more and more ppl were abusing the mixology tasting by pouring ridiculous amounts of alcohol on drinks to basically get them drunk quicker, or get a bigger bang for their buck.

Well there you go, a few bad apples spoil the lot.

Now its only 1 drink.

Oh yeah, I saw people doing that! (Which IMO kinda ruins the drink but hey, to each their own.)

We also loved Chris on the Fantasy in December! I think we'll have Jo on the Wonder in May and have heard only great things, we're looking forward to that!
OP - I'm sorry that part wasn't so great. Glad to hear that you had a great time, though!
We met Chris last summer and he was great. Also, he knows Jo...theirs is a small world. We've met Jo on two cruises on the Wonder and yes, she is the best I've seen in 11 cruises. Chris is great though too, so it's really a good problem to have if it's one or the other. The more energy the crowd has, the more energy they get back...difficult on family cruises sometimes during the school year, when most of the families are younger and the parents need to turn in earlier. When the college kids are there, there's more energy...obviously not going to be there in numbers during school.

I did a Disney Cruise (Christmas) on the Fantasy 2 years ago with my significant other. This was my second cruise ever.

Concerning your cons, mine were slightly different.

1) The SPA was underwhelming.
2) Buffet dining was terrible. I switched to sit down breakfast/lunch after the departure date. Much better. Same price.
3) Room service was underwhelming.
4) Castaway Key. We didn't like the food or the beaches. We're used to the beaches in Kauai and Maui, and the food could be a whole lot better.
5) Shopping on board was underwhelming, and where do you buy tampons/pads? My significant other had to go to the first aid station on Castaway Key. Just saying.

My pros are also slightly different.

1) Waiters were amazing. We ate strictly off their recommendations, and they were spot on. We ate whatever they told us to eat.
2) Shows were great. I'd skip the first one if I were to do this cruise again; it felt like an ad.
3) Room with verandah was fantastic. It's totally worth the added cost. Nicer to relax on a verandah than deal with the pool crowds.
4) Cooking demonstrations were also great. I'd like more of these.
5) Excursions were great as well.
6) Remy's was good. Since neither my significant other or I drink, they provided an alternative that was fantastic.
7) Sweet on You had great macarons.

I cannot comment on the pools since I didn't use them. I cannot comment on the adult entertainment since we were booked solid with excursions that had us getting up early. I cannot comment on the tastings since we don't drink.

Would I do another Disney cruise? Despite my cons above, I'd definitely do another one. I'm thinking Alaska or something in Europe. Disney is ideal since I don't gamble, smoke, or drink.

I guess I was disappointed because I was expecting to participate into the concoction of all the drinks. Instead, we only got to do 1 (on 4 drinks if I remember correctly).

At least the class was fun!

As a rule, each person getting to do one is the standard. The only reason we all got to do them all the one time I did it was because there were only 6 of us in the class as others cancelled because it was a gorgeous day.

Now its only 1 drink.

We had some of "those" types when we did mixology in 2017. They thought they were being so funny by putting way too much alcohol in the drinks, they were so bad we couldn't drink them. After their group ruined the second round of drinks, they were banned from doing any more, much to everyone else's relief! The bartenders also made new drinks for everyone. We did the mojito tasting at CC last Jan. Only 6 people did it. We were given our own glasses and did the muddling and then added the rum/juice/soda to just our own drinks. I liked this, I didn't put much rum in my drinks because I had to go back and pack afterwards. When I did the mixlogy in 2017, I had to lay down and nap for several hours, lol

Last edited:
I think at the end of the day, we as guests enjoy different things, all of which is ok. I haven't had a good breakfast when I've gone to Royal Court (or it's version on whatever ship we're on.). The food is precooked and warmed up...reminds me of Denny's. The yogurt is fine, because they can't mess with it, but when the croissants are stale, and the coffee is weak, you've lost me. The buffet breakfast foods are much fresher and healthier. But again...what bugs me, may not bug someone else. DH looks at my quinoa and shakes his head. YMMV

I agree that Castaway Cay food is underwhelming. But, it's a beach, so I'm happy. Is it the greatest set of beaches? No. But the kids have a great time, even through high school if you book them on the excursion (which is a bargain for what they get to do) and the parents have time off.

We also loved Chris on the Fantasy in December! I think we'll have Jo on the Wonder in May and have heard only great things, we're looking forward to that!
OP - I'm sorry that part wasn't so great. Glad to hear that you had a great time, though!
Jo's current contract on the Wonder ends May 5th.Asked her on our PC cruise because we were hoping to see her again in April. We got lucky. We are on her last cruise of this contract.

I did a Disney Cruise (Christmas) on the Fantasy 2 years ago with my significant other. This was my second cruise ever.
5) Shopping on board was underwhelming, and where do you buy tampons/pads? My significant other had to go to the first aid station on Castaway Key. Just saying.

Well since you asked....in the store on the ship in the middle shop. Bottom shelf next to the baby diapers. Not easy to find true. Guess you could have just asked in the store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter