• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from BLT 2/25-3/4 Housekeeping Horror

Our next visit is about a month away. It will be interesting to see if we have the same problems with room checks that others have described. Hopefully they will have this figured out by then.

Just a thought, maybe now when you do online check-in they should explain this new rule as the first thing that comes up as well as asking your building choice etc. Ask if you plan to opt out of housekeeping, yes or no. Explain that you will now receive a security check.
Also ask which would be better, am or pm housekeeping. Your choice would be documented somewhere. (Doesn't mean it will be honoured)
It may or may not help. Just having it written on the bottom of the new room occupied sign about the new security checks that most people don't read or didn't receive , isn't working.
Just a thought, l don't at all like how guests have been treated and nervous about our up comming trip as well.

Just a thought, maybe now when you do online check-in they should explain this new rule as the first thing that comes up as well as asking your building choice etc. Ask if you plan to opt out of housekeeping, yes or no. Explain that you will now receive a security check.
Also ask which would be better, am or pm housekeeping. Your choice would be documented somewhere. (Doesn't mean it will be honoured)
It may or may not help. Just having it written on the bottom of the new room occupied sign about the new security checks that most people don't read or didn't receive , isn't working.
Just a thought, l don't at all like how guests have been treated and nervous about our up comming trip as well.

Giving people even more to read that they will most likely ignore is not the answer.

FWIW... I always travel with a door stop. Just a cheap, simple rubber door stop. I engage it in the hotel room door when I'm sleeping, showering, or otherwise not in a position to readily defend myself should someone break in. I know that the bar latches/chain locks can be compromised (not to mention how many of them are just plain broken and useless), so the door stop provides an extra measure of personal security. This isn't just for WDW; I use a door stop at any hotel. But for those concerned about CMs coming in while you're showering, etc., that's an option. (I've also used the door stop on my bedroom or bathroom door when sharing a multi-room unit with people who might be out and about and need to get in the main room door - like in DVC units.)

I've traveled with my son for years and have always insisted that he engage the bar latch/chain lock/door stop when I'm out of the room, and I knock for him to let me in when I return. I know it's not what anyone ideally wants to do, but it's worked out fine for us, even when he's sleeping in and I got out for a run at 5am.

Sidenote: I've seen it mentioned in multiple places that guests "must" or "have to" allow CMs into the room, and that it says that in the Terms when doing online check in... I just did online check in and did not see that verbiage at all. It does say the same thing as the RO signs: that WDW reserves the right to enter your room at any time for any reason they deem necessary. It does not say that if you are in the room, you are required to let them in with you, right at that moment. I have no idea what legalities there may be on file about that, nor what legal precedents may be out there, but if I am not comfortable letting a stranger into my room at that moment, I simply won't.

This was all very good information and I'm glad to hear that people are complaining and hopefully Disney will be able to tweak this. Having said that.....

I think it's still incredibly frustrating, on vacation, to have to seek out the manager on call and also the housekeeping manager just to explain what specific time you'd like service. IMO, that is the purpose of a Room Occupied sign! If that sign is on then you're in the room and don't want to have service at that time. I don't really appreciate having to take time out to go out of my way to speak to all the managers, and who knows if that will even help. Not to mention, what if I don't want service at the same time every day? Should I be expected to keep the same schedule daily? I guess I should since Disney seems to want you to pre-plan everything six months out!

I also find Joy's response to your point 5 to be disturbing. It is only my husband and myself traveling, but sometimes my husband will go to the pool, etc. and I might be there alone. I wouldn't mind SO much if I'm in the room just relaxing and someone knocked, but I would be extremely skeeved out if I were in the shower and someone came in. Even if they heard the shower running and left immediately, that is still unacceptable in my mind. If they are going to assume everyone in their hotels has potential to be a "criminal", then I am going to assume that the people doing these security checks are not always on the up-and-up, know what I mean? But if I remember correctly, the bathrooms do have locks on them to right? I guess I will always be locking the bathroom door if I'm alone, and hope not to be disturbed.

I will be bringing my parents with us on a trip in June and I'm thinking about how stupid this is going to sound trying to explain this to them. "Don't worry, but someone might barge in on you even if you have a privacy sign up." To me, that is horrendous for first-time visitors.

They need to fix this fast.

You have some good points. Please send them in an email to Disney guest services. Request a call back. I spoke to a DVC Rep.

First of all, Snappy, thank you for taking the time to discuss this with Disney. You did the right thing by doing so and hopefully your efforts will eventually help other guests.

I have been following along with this situation from the beginning and from what I have observed (from reports of guests staying at resorts), this is all lip service. It's important to understand that what Disney is saying and what they are doing are two entirely different things.

It appears to me that the implementation of these security protocols is being managed by people who have absolutely no ability to do so in a way that is effective or proper. Disney is mismanaging this and now their response to guests who report unfortunate violations of their privacy is to lie to them and say that there are things that the guest can do to avoid problems.

None of these things that the CM told you are going to happen because no one is making sure that these problems are fixed. The entire effort put forth by Disney in addressing guest concerns is now this fantasy narrative about what the guest can do to manage these intrusions.

The key thing to understand about these security checks in their current, ineffective form, is that they must be random and spontaneous and never planned. Telling guests that they can control these intrusions runs contrary to their effective administration.

These kind of security checks are ineffective for the most part, and they are sure to violate guest's expectation of privacy and provide a poor experience. There are other things that Disney could do that would be more effective and preserve the guest experience but they would involve greater cost and more of an effort. The Disney of today is primarily concerned with maximizing profits while providing the minimum guest experience, so we are left with housekeepers who are overburdened with providing security in addition to their other duties.

We continue to see a philosophy where the guest is expected to pay ever increasing prices while tolerating a diminished experience. It makes me sad that management at Disney has decided that this is how they will conduct business. They are taking advantage of the reputation for excellence that Disney has built up over years and running it into the ground with decisions like this.

I'd like to make clear that what Disney is telling the guest and what is actually happening are two entirely different things

Please don't be fooled into believing that Disney is even the slightest bit interested in fixing this problem.

Disney is telling the guest that THEY must fix Disney's problem
They want the guest to spend vacation time managing this intrusion by running around talking to the front desk, and the housekeeping manager and the housekeeper etc, etc, etc.

This is wrong on so many levels in addition to being completely ineffective.

Also be aware that guests are reporting that CM's performing these security checks are walking all the way into the room and checking when guests are ASLEEP in bed or in the bathroom, so the statement "If staff enters thinking the unit is unoccupied and hears the shower running, they will quickly leave" is also not necessarily happening. This observation is based on guest reports that have been posted on the Dis Boards.

Disney has decided that with the implementation of this security theater procedure, guest's privacy needs will take a back seat.

Please don't be fooled by misinformation from guest services. Watch what is actually happening and not what CM's are told to say.

~NM

I would email your well organized thoughts to Disney guest services.

I agree that it might not be safe to automatically open the door when someone knocks, since you have no guarantee it's a legit Disney staffer. Just like you don't have to stop when a vehicle with a blue flashing follows you. If you don't feel safe you are told to continue to the nearest police station and let the vehicle follow you there.

Not answering a knock on the door might escalate the situation to the "suit" level.

If that continually happens Disney will know we aren't going to roll over to this policy.

I wonder what would happen if you put your own sign on the door saying "there's a baby sleeping between the hours of 2-4, Please come back later".

Next time our GC is with us I may do that.

I agree that it might not be safe to automatically open the door when someone knocks, since you have no guarantee it's a legit Disney staffer. Just like you don't have to stop when a vehicle with a blue flashing follows you. If you don't feel safe you are told to continue to the nearest police station and let the vehicle follow you there.

Not answering a knock on the door might escalate the situation to the "suit" level.

If that continually happens Disney will know we aren't going to roll over to this policy.

Not answering a knock on the door could also end up with them entering your room anyway. And I think blocking them from entering would end up with it escalating to a very bad scene. I wonder if they could deem that reason enough to boot you from the resort.

I don't know, to me why not answer and get it over with? Why sit there and listen to them repeatedly knock on your door? No matter how we may feel, they have the right to enter the room for any reason. As a poster on this board we all know what is going on. I'd rather e-mail or write Disney than waste my vacation time trying to take a stand.

I agree that it might not be safe to always just let someone into the room because they knock. What I plan to do when someone knocks and I did not plan on someone coming to the room is look out the peephole then answer the door with the bar engaged. The door won't open enough for anyone to enter, but I can talk to them. If they should be allowed in, I can tell them my plan of closing the door, disengaging the bar, and letting them unlock the door to come in. If I didn't call them (like pizza delivery or asking for an extra blanket) and they need in my room, they should have the ability to unlock the door. I have seen cast costume pieces and name badges available online, so if someone wants in my room, they can prove they belong there. How can Disney complain about me taking simple steps to feel safer while I'm a guest?

So the checks appear to be random. Perhaps they have to be random to count.

However, it also seems they aren't doing any checks from 6 p.m. on until the next morning.

Soo....bad guys go to bed early and sleep for 12+ hours a day? It makes no sense

Don't give them any ideas! They'll start coming in during the middle of the night next to do "checks." o_O

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, you might find it isn't a problem at all. Keep in mind that people are posting to complain that they had a problem, people who have not had any problems with it rarely feel the need to create a new thread that says "Great news! We had no problems at all!"

We had absolutely no issue with the new policy. Housekeeping always came when we had already left for the parks and the room was clean when we returned. We NEVER had anyone ever knock on the door for any reason. Our older son and his girlfriend were at a different resort and they had the exact same experience.

With all that said, we wouldn't have cared at all if someone knocked and needed to take a quick look around while we were in the room. I see no reason to get worried or angry about any of it. Yes, I have had naps interrupted at hotels before when housekeeping or maintenance shows up. No big deal.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, you might find it isn't a problem at all. Keep in mind that people are posting to complain that they had a problem, people who have not had any problems with it rarely feel the need to create a new thread that says "Great news! We had no problems at all!"

We had absolutely no issue with the new policy. Housekeeping always came when we had already left for the parks and the room was clean when we returned. We NEVER had anyone ever knock on the door for any reason. Our older son and his girlfriend were at a different resort and they had the exact same experience.

With all that said, we wouldn't have cared at all if someone knocked and needed to take a quick look around while we were in the room. I see no reason to get worried or angry about any of it. Yes, I have had naps interrupted at hotels before when housekeeping or maintenance shows up. No big deal.

Everyone is different when it comes to naps. Not everyone who has their nap (or their child's nap) interrupted considers it to be no big deal. For people with medical issues, or for small children who may not easily go back to sleep, the interruption can be the difference in an enjoyable day and a very bad one. I know if my sister has one of her migraines, and is awakened from a nap before her meds have kicked in fully, she will be miserable the rest of the day and very likely won't be able to get back to sleep for several hours.

I do agree with your point that there are probably hundreds of people who haven't had a problem with the new system. I didn't during my stay at Pop in January, but I was VERY nervous every time I stepped in the shower for fear someone would try to come in. I did keep a robe hanging on the hook in the back by the shower, just in case. I will be doing that for every stay from now on, as a just in case. But even though I usually sleep until about 10:00 and didn't leave the room until 11:30 or later each day, no one came to the room (that I am aware of) until I was out for the day. My room was always serviced when I got back. Other than shower and dressing time, I don't care if someone wants to come in either. I just prefer to do those two things without an audience . . .

Is anyone else amused that Disney seems to be shooting themselves in the foot by interrupting guests in the afternoon? One of the biggest reasons mentioned here on the DIS to stay onsite is to be able to go back to your resort for a rest/nap. Especially the monorail resorts. I would much rather drive 10-15 minutes offsite and not have my nap interrupted.

Yes, I have had naps interrupted at hotels before when housekeeping or maintenance shows up. No big deal.

You are very lucky to have a body that can handle that. Not everyone does. For me if I need to nap it’s absolutely necessary (I didn’t even nap as a toddler...if I get sleepy enough to nap, it’s a big deal), and it’s a perilous journey to sleep. If I’m woken up it’s over.

I don't know, to me why not answer and get it over with? Why sit there and listen to them repeatedly knock on your door? ....As a poster on this board we all know what is going on.

And this is publicly known that they are doing this. So at some point a “bad guy” might get the idea to pretend to be a Disney room checker because we’re all supposed to just let them in.

I like the idea of them having to let themselves in. Shows that they are legit (or that they are seriously masterminding the whole “bad guy” thing).

I didn’t even have a negative experience with the room checks at VGF last month. But it’s all still useless and misguided and really missing every point of security. Doesn’t matter that it wasn’t a problem for me that one; it’s the principle of the thing. They are wasting resources on something that can be so easily bypassed it’s not even funny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter