Just back from Aulani - tips and happy to answer questions

glassslipper2004

DIS Veteran
We just returned from five nights in a two bedroom suite at Aulani, following three nights in Waikiki.

Aulani is beautiful, and has all the detail and care you would expect of a Disney resort. There are a few things it may help to know in advance:

The room (suite) was amazing - large and with every amenity. However, the entertainment system clearly has not been updated in many years, and was severely lacking - no Netflix access, no on demand movies, just whatever is on tv, complete with commercials. If you are still using DVD's you could bring those to help. We went to the trouble to buy cables and hook up our laptops to get Netflix access, but the wifi was so slow and intermittent we couldn't watch a whole tv show without it hanging up.

That's fault #2 - the wifi in the room is sluggish and goes in and out. A real problem for two adults who were hoping to have at least some connection to work obligations, and a giant pain for our two college age students who were also hoping to spend a few hours doing schoolwork - as well as the interference with our entertainment desires!

The pool area does close oddly early - most pools close at 8 pm, and the very nice bar near the adult pool closes at 5, which is strange since that's the adult area where we found people going at the end of the day for a relaxing dip- would have been nice to keep that bar open for socializing and drinks. But the adult pool itself was lovely, and it was much easier to get chairs there - even in the middle of the day.

The rest of the pool area was very, very crowded. There were times when we couldn't find even one chair on which to set our things down. Be prepared. If you are planning on spending the day at the pools, send one member of your party down before 8 - he or she will have to stay there, at least until 8, but at least you'll get some chairs.

Don't miss floating on boogie boards in the lagoon - this is one way to get a little space between yourself and the crowds, as most of the parents and younger kids stay in close to the shore. We only tried this on our last day and wished we had done it earlier.

The food at the Ulu Café (quick service) is the most interesting and best we've seen at any similar Disney resort, complete with acai bowls and poke. A real favorite. The Olelo room was also a very nice place to go in the evening for live music, apps and drinks - and desserts too. We had a complete dinner there of the apps and desserts, quite pleasant. We did Ama Ama for breakfast - lovely, but honestly our fav breakfast spot was My Café, in Kapolei - the most amazing pancake flight (lilikoi and chocolate haupia and cookie batter), and malasada pancakes, and kalua pork hash. Cheaper than Ama Ama by a long shot, more interesting, and the friendliest service around.

On our drive from Waikiki to Aulani we stopped at Leonard's, and then Liliha Bakery, and brought malasadas and coco puffs (as good as they say) to the hotel.

At check in, be prepared for a crowd. The lobby isn't that big, and there isn't much space to wait unless you go out into the pool area - which is very lovely, so it's no hardship, but it's much smaller than, say, the Wilderness Lodge lobby.

Finally, if you have a late flight, they will offer you the use of the lounge to shower and change. But it's not a place you can hang out - it is a one entry key, and it is packed to the brim with parents and children all trying to use the facilities - just two showers in the women's room. We gave up as it was so loud in there we didn't want to all leave with pounding headaches.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have - we had a lovely time, mostly using Aulani as home base for exploring Oahu, but also enjoying the beautiful Disney atmosphere.

Going to Aulani next week, got a 2 bedroom villa. Kinda worried about the weather - says rain Saturday through Wednesday. How was it when you were there, was there rain in the forecast?
Does housekeeping replenish laundry detergent? Should I bring cascade pods? How much sunblock do you think a family of 5 would need for a week? Do you know if the kids club gets full?
TIA!

Hi,
Glad to hear you had a nice trip! What did you mean by one entry key for the hospitality room? Last time we were there you could go in and out. Can you only access it once now?
Thank you!

I have to wonder if your wifi troubles were due to your devices or perhaps your room location in the resort. We were in a studio on floor 5 and had no wifi issues. In fact, we watched Netflix on our iPad before bed every night and didn't experience any hang ups during it. There's no excuse for Disney to have intermittent wifi signal throughout the resort in this day and age, but this might be a YMMV type thing.

but honestly our fav breakfast spot was My Café, in Kapolei - the most amazing pancake flight (lilikoi and chocolate haupia and cookie batter), and malasada pancakes, and kalua pork hash. Cheaper than Ama Ama by a long shot, more interesting, and the friendliest service around.

Ohhh I have not heard of this place! Thanks for the tip, it is going on my list for our next trip.

Going to Aulani next week, got a 2 bedroom villa. Kinda worried about the weather - says rain Saturday through Wednesday. How was it when you were there, was there rain in the forecast?
Does housekeeping replenish laundry detergent? Should I bring cascade pods? How much sunblock do you think a family of 5 would need for a week? Do you know if the kids club gets full?
TIA!

Even if rain is in the forecast, Aulani is over on the west side which tends to be drier than the rest of the island. It can be pouring rain in Honolulu and totally sunny in Ko Olina. Even if it does rain, it is usually a nice warm rain and you can usually swim. I know there has been some active weather happening but I honestly dont pay a lot of attention to it when we travel to Hawaii. We actually stayed during the double hurricanes a couple of years ago and we really only had one full day of rain.

As far as sunblock goes, Target and Walmart have very good prices on it-most people say it is comparable to mainland USA pricing. For me, I am Canadian so I find it actually a little bit cheaper than at home. I would take what you think you need with you and then buy more if you find you run out. Just remember that Hawaii sun is really strong, even on a cloudy day and it can bite real quick!

I'll agree with you on the crowds. In May, it was busy. Can't imagine summer break crowds. I kept thinking that the Four Seasons and the hotel to the south seemed to be empty on the beach. I need to figure out how to get there....assuming I want to lose the amenities of Disney. But for as expensive as Aulani is, there seems to be plenty of people who go there.

I have to wonder if your wifi troubles were due to your devices or perhaps your room location in the resort. We were in a studio on floor 5 and had no wifi issues. In fact, we watched Netflix on our iPad before bed every night and didn't experience any hang ups during it. There's no excuse for Disney to have intermittent wifi signal throughout the resort in this day and age, but this might be a YMMV type thing.

We were there in April and the wifi was atrocious! In fact we gave up trying to connect - however down at the lagoon we could access the Four Seasons' wifi with no issues whatsoever.

Agree with above poster about WiFi.......it’s awful! We were there in July in a 2 bedroom villa. Worst Disney internet experience I have ever had. But Aulani is wonderful!

PLEASE do not go to any regular weather channel, app, website for Hawaii weather forecasts. Hawaiian islands each have numerous microclimates. Try THIS site, where you can click on the area where you still be staying/touring:

www.hawaiiweathertoday.com

:sunny:

Even if there IS a forecast of rain for your area, it would be unusual for the rain to last a long time unless there is a major storm system over the island. :cutie:

DW detergent will definitely be restocked on your trash and tidy or full clean days, as will paper towels, dish soap, shampoo & conditioner. They usually restock the starter supply of coffee and tea as well. I can not recall about laundry detergent but I believe they do that as well those days. I alway pack Bounce sheets in a ziplock in my suitcase. Easy peavey! :D

Sunscreen? A lot! Most people do not reapply nearly as often as they should. There are really cute rash guards and sun protective wear for kids now too! :flower:

Was this your first visit to Aulani? What were the factors (if any) in choosing a 2 bedroom suite instead of a 2 bedroom villa? I know the suites are higher in price than the villas and always curious if it's the ambiance of the suite that is the deciding factor. Thanks!

We just returned as well, and I have to agree with pretty much everything you mentioned here. It was our first visit to Hawaii and Aulani and we had a 2BR Island/Garden View villa. We had a total of 12 nights on Hawaii, with our first 4 in Kauai, then 5 nights at Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club and final 3 nights at Aulani. That was a good way to do things for our group of seven for sure.

I'm hoping to post a TR as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter