Just back from Arizona/Utah

I'll take a little bit of issue with this - we have 2 pretty active boys, and sitting and looking at scenery just isn't a realistic expectation. We had a couple long bus rides in Alaska, and it was fine, but definitely our maximum. We are looking for active and engaging vacations and I don't think that means we don't know how to entertain ourselves.
I will concede your point! :) But would you sign up for a trip (like the old Scotland itinerary) that you knew had long bus transfers?

Sayhello

We just finished our trip. It was amazing. Only downside was it rained on our cowboy cookout last night. It was still a great day of rafting and enjoying Redcliffs Lodge. It has been our favorite vacation yet. My sons agree and they are teenage boys. If anyone has questions let me know.

Tell me everything! Any tips are appreciated as we leave in a couple of weeks! Glad you enjoyed the trip! Seems you had a few days of rain...

We just booked this tour for next June. We're very excited, based on the reviews we have read! This will be our first ABD. I find it a little strange that it is Monday to Monday, but we'll probably tack on a few days at the start. I was even thinking about adding a day or two at the end so we can fly back out of Denver or another large airport ad hopefully get a direct flight for less. Has anyone added on days at the end? Any good recommendations for things to do for a day or two after the tour ends?

We also booked for June 2018 (Kidanifan08- we are 6/25). Also first ABD! I wasn't so sure I liked the added stop next year, but I'm keeping an open mind about it. Thank you to all the trip reporters past & present, they are so helpful! :)

We also booked for June 2018 (Kidanifan08- we are 6/25). Also first ABD! I wasn't so sure I liked the added stop next year, but I'm keeping an open mind about it. Thank you to all the trip reporters past & present, they are so helpful! :)

We wanted the 11th, but the early booking savings were not available when we called. We ended up choosing the 4th. I'm not too concerned about 4 hotel rooms over 7 nights. The wardrobe for the week will be fairly basic, which makes it easy to live out of a suitcase! Have fun planning!

I will concede your point! :) But would you sign up for a trip (like the old Scotland itinerary) that you knew had long bus transfers?

Sayhello
Definitely not with our kids. 3ish hours would be fine. Much more than that, especially more than one day in a row, is tough. We had one very long bus ride day in Alaska, but it was well-broken up and was fine. What did us in was the next day was also lots of sitting around, and that was really tough for us to be confined 2 days in a row (I still recommend the trip and especially with the new itinerary).

Tell me everything! Any tips are appreciated as we leave in a couple of weeks! Glad you enjoyed the trip! Seems you had a few days of rain...

It was a running joke on our trip that we were bringing the rain to desert. LOL. It rained 3 times and each time it did the locals were thrilled because it's been so long since the last rain. It only interfered with our trip the last night. The others times were during dinner or when we were inside at Bearizona for lunch. I think everyone has made very good suggestions. Pack as light as you can. Sunscreen, comfortable shoes (Easily washable), Lightweight casual clothes for evening. I wore swim shorts for the raft ride which worked perfect. I wished I had hiking boots or shoes more than just sneakers. If you have an specific questions I would be happy to respond. I would write up a trip report but that might take too long. We loved every bit of it. Our guides (Troy and Samantha) were amazing.

Definitely not with our kids. 3ish hours would be fine. Much more than that, especially more than one day in a row, is tough. We had one very long bus ride day in Alaska, but it was well-broken up and was fine. What did us in was the next day was also lots of sitting around, and that was really tough for us to be confined 2 days in a row (I still recommend the trip and especially with the new itinerary).

I felt this trip did a fantastic job of avoiding 2 days of sitting like that. The longest stretch was the transfer from Grand Canyon to Moab with break at Monument Valley. The next morning we were up and moving on a Grand Canyon tour. We felt super busy the whole time and looked forward to the bus breaks to gather ourselves a bit.

It was a running joke on our trip that we were bringing the rain to desert. LOL. It rained 3 times and each time it did the locals were thrilled because it's been so long since the last rain. It only interfered with our trip the last night. The others times were during dinner or when we were inside at Bearizona for lunch. I think everyone has made very good suggestions. Pack as light as you can. Sunscreen, comfortable shoes (Easily washable), Lightweight casual clothes for evening. I wore swim shorts for the raft ride which worked perfect. I wished I had hiking boots or shoes more than just sneakers. If you have an specific questions I would be happy to respond. I would write up a trip report but that might take too long. We loved every bit of it. Our guides (Troy and Samantha) were amazing.

Thanks again. We bought hiking shoes today and I think we're now good on clothes that you suggest for the trip. Can you tell me a bit about the food during the ABD tours? My daughter and I both have a lot of food allergies and especially avoid artificial everything. I'm worried about what will be offered and available. Also, what are your thoughts about Thunderbird at the Grand Canyon? I've heard everything from wonderful to awful. One other question, did you or anyone in your group do the ATV trip OYO in Moab? We were thinking about it but wondered if the days are already too busy. Oh...(sorry so many questions) - what was the "Junior adventures night out" like? What did the kids do? What did you do?

Thanks again. We bought hiking shoes today and I think we're now good on clothes that you suggest for the trip. Can you tell me a bit about the food during the ABD tours? My daughter and I both have a lot of food allergies and especially avoid artificial everything. I'm worried about what will be offered and available. Also, what are your thoughts about Thunderbird at the Grand Canyon? I've heard everything from wonderful to awful. One other question, did you or anyone in your group do the ATV trip OYO in Moab? We were thinking about it but wondered if the days are already too busy. Oh...(sorry so many questions) - what was the "Junior adventures night out" like? What did the kids do? What did you do?

I thought the food was good. I am not sure how much of it was artificial because some of it was pre-made. I do believe most was not. My children are picky eaters and they seem to like most of the meals. The only meal I think they didn't care for was the pasta night when we arrived in Moab. They usually love pasta and I think they just felt tired and weren't very hungry. The lunch after the pink jeep tours in Sedona they really didn't care for either but that was due seasonings on the food. Again they are very picky and I loved it. I know this doesn't help much. I having a hard time trying to remember all the meals. LOL. My husband's favorite was the steak he had at the Grand Canyon meal and last meal.

Thunderbird was OK. It felt like a motel but we knew going in that it wouldn't be the nicest of places. It was clean and you really can't beat the view and location. It was perfectly fine for us but felt more like a motel than a hotel. However you are on the rim of the Grand Canyon and it made up for the lack of luxury of the hotel.

ATV-We had all intentions on doing the ATV tour but by that time our kids were wiped out and wanted some downtime for swimming. We chose to hang back at the hotel to swim and enjoy Red Cliffs Lodge. My youngest was very upset but I am glad we skipped it. People who did go really enjoyed it.

Junior Adventures night was fun. They played some games outside to get things started. Then moved inside for dinner and movie. They still played more games inside. My kids came back to room laughing their heads off so I assume it was a great time. Our guides said it was the first time they had all the kids come to Junior adventures night (15-17 kids). They watched Cars 2. We went to dinner at the resort when they were there. The meal was VERY good. It was very nice and relaxing and we really enjoyed our time away from the boys.

I thought the food was good. I am not sure how much of it was artificial because some of it was pre-made. I do believe most was not. My children are picky eaters and they seem to like most of the meals. The only meal I think they didn't care for was the pasta night when we arrived in Moab. They usually love pasta and I think they just felt tired and weren't very hungry. The lunch after the pink jeep tours in Sedona they really didn't care for either but that was due seasonings on the food. Again they are very picky and I loved it. I know this doesn't help much. I having a hard time trying to remember all the meals. LOL. My husband's favorite was the steak he had at the Grand Canyon meal and last meal.

Thunderbird was OK. It felt like a motel but we knew going in that it wouldn't be the nicest of places. It was clean and you really can't beat the view and location. It was perfectly fine for us but felt more like a motel than a hotel. However you are on the rim of the Grand Canyon and it made up for the lack of luxury of the hotel.

ATV-We had all intentions on doing the ATV tour but by that time our kids were wiped out and wanted some downtime for swimming. We chose to hang back at the hotel to swim and enjoy Red Cliffs Lodge. My youngest was very upset but I am glad we skipped it. People who did go really enjoyed it.

Junior Adventures night was fun. They played some games outside to get things started. Then moved inside for dinner and movie. They still played more games inside. My kids came back to room laughing their heads off so I assume it was a great time. Our guides said it was the first time they had all the kids come to Junior adventures night (15-17 kids). They watched Cars 2. We went to dinner at the resort when they were there. The meal was VERY good. It was very nice and relaxing and we really enjoyed our time away from the boys.

Thank you! Sounds like you all really enjoyed the trip. Thanks for easing some of my concerns...

Which hotel do we stay at for day 4? My Adventure Handbook says Grand Canyon Park Lodging - when looking online it comes up with 6 different choices of Lodging. I see Luv2trav said something about Thunder Lodge. Just wondering if it's always Thunder Lodge since the brochure doesn't clarify.

Last edited:

Another question: Did you arrive on Day 1? We'll be flying from the East Coast and dressed for plane temps. I was wondering if we should plan to change in the Phoenix airport into shorts etc?

Which hotel do we stay at for day 4? My Adventure Handbook says Grand Canyon Park Lodging - when looking online it comes up with 6 different choices of Lodging. I see Luv2trav said something about Thunder Lodge. Just wondering if it's always Thunder Lodge since the brochure doesn't clarify.
From what I've seen, most trips stay at the Thunderbird Lodge. But it all depends on availability, so they don't specify in case they have to move to a different one of the Lodges. They're all "on property", but the Thunderbird is right on the Rim.

Sayhello

Another question: Did you arrive on Day 1? We'll be flying from the East Coast and dressed for plane temps. I was wondering if we should plan to change in the Phoenix airport into shorts etc?

We arrived 1 day early. I'm not sure what you wear on planes. The bus can be cool but AZ is not. I would suggest layers. You will get off at Montezuma castle and it will be hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter