• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from AKL. Brief review.

whalewatcher

Travel Buff
DH and I stay at the AKL recently with DS 5 and DS 3 from 1/1 to 1/5. After reading so many reviews on the board, I was anxious to see the place myself. In short: We loved it!

We had two connecting rooms on Arusha savannah, zebra trail (rooms 3413 and 3415). Boy, it's a good thing we got 2 rooms b/c the rooms are tiny. The kids would have driven us crazy in 1 room. I was initially disappointed that the rooms were so close to the Arusha overlook b/c we had such a great view of the tourists with their cameras. However, we grew to love our spot b/c an animal feeding area was right in front of us, keeping animals in plain sight. There were plenty of other viewing areas we could check out as well. They have night vision goggles on the arusha outlook.

The beds were very comfortable. The TV remotes both worked ( a rarity in our experience). The shower was great for a hotel shower. Good pressure, temperature, etc. Loved the double sink. The rooms didn't seem dark to me. There were lights all over the rooms and all you had to do was open the draperies and your room was flooded with light. Housekeeping wasn't superior but I forgot to bring the mousekeeping envelopes so that may have been the problem.

The resort itself is beautiful in design and decoration. The Xmas decorations were lovely. We enjoyed Mara and Boma. It was pretty cold so we only spent about 30 minutes in the pool, although the water was 83 degrees. The slide is pretty much a kiddie slide which is great if you have little kids that usually don't get to use the slide. The hot tub was amazing.

Bus service was fine. The bus drivers were very friendly. DH wants to be on the monorail next time but the bus rides didn't bother me.

One cool thing about this resort is that it's constantly hustling and bustling at all hours of the day and night. We noticed a happy buzz of activity that makes you feel like you are in the middle of something fun and amazing. People really seemed to enjoy being there. I also liked the fact that the resort was in "one piece" and not a bunch of spread out buildings. It was very easy to maneuver around the resort.

The one mistakes we made was spending too much time touring the parks like maniacs. We should have spent more time enjoying the many activities at the resort.

I'd be happy to answer any questions. Sorry this turned out to be so long.

Thanks for the report. I am getting ready to book. Just wondering if you made any room requests???? From my map it looks like it was convenient to the pool and Mara. I am hoping to be near the pool. I am going to book Savanah veiw. If you made request, did you make them when you booked??? thanks..amy

I always put in my request at the time of booking and it works like a charm. Requested connecting rooms, nonsmoking, zebra trail with a good view...and that's exactly what I got. If you ask for zebra trail you'll be sure and be near the pool and restaurants b/c that's the whole right side of the resort. Third floor is nice b/c it's lobby level.

Whalewatcher, it sounds like you had a lovely stay at the AKL. Do you have any photos posted from your stay there?

Janet: Thanks for asking...but we mostly just took a bunch of goofy pictures of our kids...nothing anyone else would be very interested in.

Whalewatcher, your child is Goofy? How cool is that?! (hee hee) ;) Seriously, the goofy photos are my favorite ones, so if you change your mind, I would love to view them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter