• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back From A Norwegian Cruise - Food Doesn't Even Compare!!

mandibc11

Living in Wonderland, married to the Mad Hatter, w
Being the live and breathe Disney fan that I am, I couldn't help but compare our cruise last week aboard the Norwegian Epic with the countless Disney vacations I have been on. While I've never cruised on Disney Cruise Lines, this was only my second cruise.

The food on board, even in the specialty restaurants that charged more to attend, was light years away from what Disney can whip up. Most everything tasted mass produced, especially the desserts!

I really feel that Disney goes above and beyond to treat their guests to something special, and I feel even stronger about that after witnessing what other companies do for their own guests. Disney food has never tasted thawed out and bland to me, and desserts are always one of a kind and full of flavor. Most of the desserts that I had last week tasted like they could have come from a Senior Center cafeteria where everything is made with a "chewing optional" mentality!

Feel free to read my latest blog that talked of some of the shore excursions I encountered while there! Disney, here I come in 69 days!!! :goodvibes

That is so great to hear.:)

IMHO,NOBODY does ANYTHING as good as Disney.

That is why I leave next month for my EIGHTEENTH "Once in a Lifetime" trip to WDW!:)

That is so great to hear.:)

IMHO,NOBODY does ANYTHING as good as Disney.

That is why I leave next month for my EIGHTEENTH "Once in a Lifetime" trip to WDW!:)

It's so true!! Even when we honeymooned in Europe, I had to make a stop at Disneyland Paris! Cannot wait to go back...to any of them!

Just Back From A Norwegian Cruise - Food Doesn't Even Compare!!

1) Alas.
2) Unfortunately, you took a cruise line with somewhat low food ratings.
3) They are usually classified as a budget cruise line.
4) Thus, there is not that much profit for great food.
5) Next time, try a different cruise line.

6) Cruise lines with the best food ratings are (5-out-of-5) *
. . . Celebrity
. . . Crystal
. . . Cunard (our favorite cruise line)
. . . MSC
. . . Oceania
. . . Regent
. . . Seabourn
. . . Silver Sea
. . . Carnival

* As an FYI, Disney Cruise Line food is in the next lower tier.

1) Alas.
2) Unfortunately, you took a cruise line with somewhat low food ratings.
3) They are usually classified as a budget cruise line.
4) Thus, there is not that much profit for great food.
5) Next time, try a different cruise line.

. . . Celebrity
. . . Crystal
. . . MSC
. . . Oceania
. . . Regent
. . . Seabourn
. . . Silver Sea
. . . Carnival

* As an FYI, Disney Cruise Line food is in the next lower tier.

Thanks so much for your advice!! We did Norwegian strictly for the entertainment they offered and will not make the mistake again!! I am really intrigued by Cunard actually, and we are thinking of taking a luxury cruise next year! Which would you recommend for entertainment as well as food?

thanks for the info. My DH suggested that this year we do something"non-Disney" as we have done only Disney trips in the past few years. He suggested we do a cruise. As we are both MAJOR foodies, I'll forward this info to him and *hopefully* I can talk him into at the VERY least a land/sea Disney trip.
Thanks again!!!!

I live to plan, and eat at Disney, the only place in the world were the word "diet" does not go in my vocabulary for 2 weeks. Come on November.

. . . Celebrity
. . . Crystal
. . . MSC
. . . Oceania
. . . Regent
. . . Seabourn
. . . Silver Sea
. . . Carnival

I agree that food is not a selling point for NCL. But I was underwhelmed by my Celebrity cruise, food-wise. I thought Holland America and (gasp!) Royal Caribbean did a better job.

I live to plan, and eat at Disney, the only place in the world were the word "diet" does not go in my vocabulary for 2 weeks. Come on November.

Me too, except for the phrase "diet Coke". Can't stand the sugariness of regular sodas, even if I'm eating all manner of sweet and sticky things.

try preparing/serving meals for 3,000-4,000 people on an ocean liner....logistically speaking.....in a timely fashion....3 to 4 times a day.

I think you have a really good point, which is why I will be more selective of the cruise line I choose next time. The entertainment, like I've mentioned numerous times, was top notch. But I love my food, and don't want to compromise that! A smaller ship would be able to handle things better, and I should never expect great things from a buffet...unless it's at Disney! :cutie:

I think you have a really good point, which is why I will be more selective of the cruise line I choose next time. The entertainment, like I've mentioned numerous times, was top notch. But I love my food, and don't want to compromise that! A smaller ship would be able to handle things better, and I should never expect great things from a buffet...unless it's at Disney! :cutie:

I've been on celebrity cruises and one disney cruise. the food was fantasic! what's nice about a cruise is since you paid for the food, it's nice to try different things. I tried rabbit and lamb on a cruise which i probably would never try at a restaurant back home....i love cruising.:thumbsup2

living in florida, i'm not far from the nice ports with the nicer/newer ships, so it's easier for me to cruise w/ DGF since we don't have to pay for airfare.....cruising is up there with WDW for me.

btw,,i like your blog...its class..

What surprises me about this post is that the Norwegian Epic is their new flag ship (although frankly it's appearance was not to my liking) that is supposed to have some great restaurants. I would be upset about the regular restaurants serving blah food but really upset if I paid extra for the upscale restaurant and served blah food.

I did a european cruise on Norwegian a couple of years ago and it was hands down the worst food I have ever had in my life. I lost 8lbs over 12 days and vowed to never cruise with them again.

I have been on 12 other cruises and would say that the food either compared to Disney food or far surpassed it. Celebrity was one of the best out of all of them.

Disney does food well, but so do many cruise lines :)

I'm exactly the same way. I live to plan, and eat, while in Disney I don't count calories, or worry about a diet. :rotfl:

I'm exactly the same way. I live to plan, and eat, while in Disney I don't count calories, or worry about a diet. :rotfl:

Me too.:)

If I find myself thinking about Calories while at WDW,I IMMEDIATELY go and eat another Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar.;):)

I agree & I've been on a lot of cruise - NCL (we only do the specialty ones at night), Royal caribbean, Carnival & Celebrity. I don't know why people knock Disney, the food, especially at the signatures is excellent. & to me the price isn't expensive but we are use to paying a lot for dinner at home for great food.

I agree. Disney cruise isn't that much more than the other cruises. I went on one with DGF and we don't even have kids and we had a blast and the food was excellent....I don't mind paying for quality.

Good to know - we are planning on going on a cruise next year for our 20th anniversary - cross norwegian off our list!

We've only been on one before - Royal Carribean - not exactly the luxury cruise line...and the food was fabulous. Great choices for kids and adults, and awesome desserts. Really only had one entree I didn't like and the waiter could tell and brought me something else before I even asked. They also had shrimp cocktail and grapes waiting for our littlest every evening - you have to love that!

You think NCL was bad??? Try Carnival.................blah:eek:

How can you screw up cakes and pastries??? All I ever heard was how great the desserts were...............OK.

Took a 5 night cruise with DD for senior trip, and actually lost weight. Not sure if the "nice Table Service" restaurant or the buffets were worse.

I think I may have enjoyed the waffles on the last day, but maybe I was starving.

I love good food as much as the next person, but I'm also easy to please when on vacation, this was just plain bad!!!

great info everyone, thanks!!! We're most likely taking a cruise in Sept...either Disney, or some type of Mediterranean cruise....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter