• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back from 7/19 Western, Some Comments

tezb

There is a special place in heaven for the mother
Just returned yesterday from our 3rd DCL cruise. Myself, DH, DS, 17 1/2, DS 15 and DS 11. Had a good time but will probably not be doing DCL anytime soon. Plan to book w/ RCCL for next summer as my teens are getting older and I think need more activities for their ages. My oldest teen didn't have as good a time this cruise because I think he was older and not yet old enough for the adult activities...(18 in October).

Some comments,,,good and bad....

The weather was great!

We did not get off the ship in Key West, so cannot comment on that port.

Used Capt Bryan's for our Stingray Excursion in Grand Cayman. We were happy w/ the company and trimaran we were on. As bothofus said, our group was small so everyone could spread out and enjoy the ride. However, I was disappointed that Capt Bryans could not provide a videographer that I really wanted. I researched this and chose them because of the trimaran but also because he said they could get a videographer if we had requested it. Oh well, at least we had our water cameras.

My teen son lost his key to the world card and in the few hrs that he reported it, someone had used the card several times in the arcade and charged up over 100.00. DCL said they had to turn it over to security before clearing us of the charges, but w/in a few days they took the charges off our card. They handled it well.

Had a problem w/ our 2nd onboard credit for 50.00. Booked w/ the DCL Visa in order to get these 2 credits but they only gave us one. I had to inquire about it 3 times before they finally corrected it. Didn't understand the confusion there.

Very happy w/ our server, Andrea. She was wonderful! We had the Lumiere first rotation, so ate there 3 times. Also, first time doing late seating and liked it much better than the early one.

We were not happy w/ our stateroom host and I indicated this in the questionairre. He was rude, hardly spoke to us (other than first day), didn't smile and when we passed him in the hall and said hello, he would turn his head toward the wall and reply w/ a mean look. I did not feel I could call on him for help. Was reluctant to tip this guy but did so anyway...the minimum. He did the usual things in the rooms but his personality left a lot to be desired. He shouldn't be doing this job if he doesn't feel comfortable dealing w/ people.

Dinner at Palo's was very good, we tried for a 2nd reservation, but no luck.

One thing we noticed this cruise was that no adults seemed to be at the clubs much after 11:30-midnight. Each time we went to Rockin'D Bar only about 3 people were there. I also spoke to other repeat cruisers who commented on the same thing. Either DCL didn't have as much for the adults in the late evening hours or most of the passengers had little ones who were already in bed.

While we had a few mishaps w/ this trip, (not just DCL but also our American Airlines flight into MCO) we still had a good time and enjoyed our trip.

However, we are now ready to move on to another cruise line...and also be able to compare.

Was that Andrea from Hungary? When we had her on the 7/5 cruise, she was on the APLAPLA rotation, so I'm not sure we're talking the same one (you can see a picture of her on my trip report). She WAS wonderful.

Therese,

Allie is currenly onboard the Carnival Pride out of NY to Bermuda (she left Wednesday and returns this Wednesday).

I am very interested in her opinion and comparison since this is her first ship other than the Magic (which as you know she has been on 8 times!)

She called me from the ship while it was in port and was very impressed so far...said it was different than Disney but still nice. I have not had contact with her since. The one thing she was concerened about was the teen program said it was from 13-15. She was hoping for a more 15-17 age group (since she is travelling with her friend who is 16. But she also said they were going to have an under 18 meet and greet that night.

Will post about her experiences from a 15 year old perspective when she returns!!!

Glad you had a good time...I also had another friend and his family onboard the Magic last week. I really missed a good week!!!

MJ

Yes, I think it's the same Andrea as ours is from Hungary also. She told me she is leaving in 5 weeks..her 3 yr contract is up. She is anxious to go back home, I'm sure. She said she will probably come back though. Oh, gometros, I also signed you out at the internet cafe...from the Disney Forum.

MJ.....the Mariner w/ RCCL says they group the teens from ages 12-14, & 15-17. I think this is better as it gives the pre-teens a place to go. Right now DCL doesn't have much for the 11 & 12 yrs olds...I think the lab is too young for most...or at least for my youngest son. I would be interested in hearing how Allie liked this ship compared to DCL. Let me know...

also forgot to mention...keep washing hands everyone. There seemed to be lots of colds and coughing on board w/ kids and adults. My preteen son caught a cold or something mid week and my other teen caught it yesterday when leaving. Now my throat is scratchy. We also noticed lots of coughing on the plane ride home. Not stomach flu but still colds and stuff floating around, but not bad enough to keep us down....

Andrea is a great server. Her husband Zoran (also from Hungary) has had a lot of positive comments also.

We have had our share of stand-offish host/hostesses - the last cruise our hostess kept forgetting to give us towels, soap and wasn't very friendly to anyone. We keep our room very clean so all she really has to do is change towels and do the bed. Mom insisted that we only tip her the minimum because of her always forgetting things and us having to chase her down DAILY!
Yes, we did make a comment - but only about her forgetting things not her attitude since she wasn't rude to us ..... just stand-offish!

Rae

Tezb - yep, that's her. I didn't realize they switch rotations. I guess it's only fair, otherwise one group of servers can get stuck with all the bratty kids every time :)

Zoran and Andrea are going back home when the ship goes into dry dock, since there contract is ending, but they both told me they'd probably be back. I hope so, I'd love to see them next August. And thanks for logging me out, although it was fun being back on the cruise once more, even if it was the virtual me.

Gometros, where does Zoran work? I didn't realize Andrea was married to someone on the ship? She worked w/ Alen and Sandor during our dinners.

Zoran is also a server on the Magic. They work the same rotation but not the same tables. Both are very nice and deserve all the best!

Rae

We were also on the July 19 cruise. We had a WONDERFUL time. When I feel better, I will post more about it.

My 5 year old son started to come down with the cold on Thursday night and on Friday he was pretty crabby for Castaway Cay:o (he was congested and tired). I started getting a scratchy throat on Saturday after debarking. I now have a fever and feel yukky. My 13 year old started the scratchy throat last night. Guess it'll run through the family!:(

We did do lots of handwashing, as I have always been a big believer in keeping germs away... On Friday night, our assistant server, Laura (from Romania) said that there were a few crew members with colds (including her), so I guess with all of us in such close contact, the odds of catching something were pretty good...

We're looking forward to planning another cruise in the not too distant future!:Pinkbounc :bounce:

thanks bobbimom for posting that...I was wondering if it was just my imagination. On our last night at Shutters, I felt like I was in a germ trap! Heard lots of coughing and sneezing, just wanted to get out of there it was so crowded. Then on our plane home, heard constant coughing the whole 4 hrs! My throat is a little scratchy but hoping to fight it...hasn't turned into anything yet since it started on Sunday. Feel better soon.....

We tried walking through there on the last night and it was VERY crowded and people refused to move!

My oldest dd(15 on Saturday) just came downstairs saying that her throat is sore! That's 4 down and hubby to go!:rolleyes: She started band camp yesterday (she's in colorguard), so I'm sure she'll be miserable out in our NC heat!
:eek:

Bobbi

It always is a mad house at Shutters on the last night - the worst offenders are the ones who put their photos on the floor to look at them and take up room for those who are trying to get through or look for their own photos!!!

Sounds like summer colds are here, folks - good handwashing for everyone - like they say, "Wash to the tune of Happy Birthday and scrub, scrub, scrub!!!"

Rae

<b>Welcome back all July 19th cruisers!</b>

We were on the July 19th Western cruise and the only time I noticed coughing was on the bus ride back to the airport. The woman behind me was coughing up a storm and I just thought to myself, "<b>Oh great!</b>".

No one in my family has gotten sick as of yet, which is great because we all have very busy schedules this week.

We had a great time on our cruise and I can't wait to see other DISrs post comments about their trip.

I will be posting a thread about security at the airport. What a nightmare! We barely made our flight back home. I'm all for security, but we should've been warned about how much time it would take when we checked in our luggage.

Originally posted by tezb
Gometros, where does Zoran work? I didn't realize Andrea was married to someone on the ship? She worked w/ Alen and Sandor during our dinners.

When we sailed two weeks before you, Zoran and Andrea had tables right next to each other. Alen and Sandor were also with her at the time.

Bobbimom, what is your 15 yr old dtrs name? One of my sons Brandon is 15 and hung out w/ a lot of teens. He is the one who started w/ the sore throat the day we were leaving. Maybe he knows your dtr if she was in Common Grounds also...He took pics of the friends he met also and had a great time, as always.

Originally posted by DisneyCruiseluvr
<b>We were on the July 19th Western cruise and the only time I noticed coughing was on the bus ride back to the airport. The woman behind me was coughing up a storm and I just thought to myself, "<b>Oh great!</b>".

It wasn't us!!! But I just wanted to let you know that sometimes asthmatics have coughing fits - like my son - it's not contagious, just a constant cough when he is exposed to smoke, air fresheners, perfume, cleaning chemicals....and it's is always annoying to him, us and people around us - sorry!!!!!

Rae

<b>rae519</b>,

Thank you for giving me a different perspective on "coughing" and I'm sorry if my post offended you in any way. I was just responding to everyone else's comments about all of the coughing and sneezing they heard during their trip.

No, I didn't take any offense at all to this!!!!! Honestly!!!!
I don't like germs either!!! And wouldn't you know it I get stuck with the sick ones near me on every plane ride?!

Just thought I'd let you and others know that sometimes coughing is just a reaction of an allergic condition and not a disease spreading concern!!!!

Dear - thank you again for your apology - but none needed!!!!

Have a great day!

Rae

Actually, I know that "asthma cough" all too well! My oldest son (now 17) had asthma as a child and the cough was so annoying. You can usually tell the difference. The asthma cough does not sound congested just hacking type, dry. Luckily he outgrew the asthma...

tezb - he did outgrow it? Ohhh, thank God there is some hope for us! Yes, it is the most annoying cough....and people think (1) sick (2) choking - so it's always a problem for us! As you well know.

Thanks for that info, I have some hope now!!!

Rae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter