Just Back from 2 Days. Some Thoughts and My Experience

CoachBeard

Mouseketeer
This became a bit long winded so bare with me.

A little background on me… I’m just about 40, I’ve lived 70 miles from DL my whole life, been an AP holder many years, DL Paris in 1998, WDW in 1994, 2008, 2011. My last DL trip was January 2019.

I started writing this at the bar late Thursday night and am updating it now Saturday morning from home.

Well, I took a chance and bought a magic key recently with today being my first day using it and first day back in the parks since January. I also went a little crazy and booked a night at the Disneyland hotel since I’ve never stayed here ever and since this was my first solo trip and I was able to reserve today and tomorrow, I did a little “YOLO”. In hindsight probably not the best idea. This trip has been… different.

I also planned the stay to prep for my upcoming 5 day solo trip to WDW. I needed to get a feel for being solo, the recent changes with needing to constantly use the app, and staying overnight.

My first issue is that online checkin did not work for me. There was an issue with the card I had on file for incidentals and no one bothered to tell me. So I took a chance and went to guest services around 5:00 to sort it out. I also decided to have a shower and some fresh socks and stuff. Had I not gone there I’d probably still be wondering when my room would be ready. There’s no system in place to let me know there was an issue.

*update: I got the text with my room info and that it was ready at 9am the day I checked out*

A couple hours in I decided to buy genie+ for the day and I’m glad I did. Being a local, my tolerance for lines is small. However, there’s a lot of new stuff I’ve never done before. I could’ve gone on more rides but I’m tired.

Millennium Falcon: single rider walked on
Thunder mountain: LL 10 min
Rise of the resistance: lightning lane 15 min
Oga’s walk up: 10 min
Web slingers: single rider 30 min
Guardians: LL 30 min
Soarin: LL 30 min

I’ve noticed a lot of indecision on my part and a lot of aimless walking. That’s ok, tomorrow I will have a list of what to do/where to go. Early in the day I was chilled out and having a great time. I need to work on my physical stamina for my WDW trip. I’m deliriously tired at this point and day drinking didn’t help.

I’ve mainly been grazing at various quick service places today. I went to DTD to ballast point and had some nice barrel aged beers and quiet possibly the worst smash burger I’ve ever had. It was like eating pencil eraser jerky and was missing items like grilled onion and sauce for some reason. I didn’t say anything, it didn’t matter. $20 gone. Will only drink there next time. Every time I looked for dining reservations there was nothing, as I sort of expected. Walking up as a party of 1 didn’t seem to make a difference anywhere. I say that in my 30th minute waiting by the fireplace for a spot at Trader Sam’s to have a night cap. Somewhat ignored for 20 min after being sat but it’s ok. Lots of open seating but they’re limiting people coming in. I assume because there’s one bartender and each drink takes 20 minutes to make.

Some thoughts after day 1:

I don’t want to come off negative but there are some things I just can’t stand. I hate that I’m forced to be on my phone a lot throughout the day. From finding lightning lanes to my ticket to my hotel room key. Trying to book dinner reservations or looking at menus or wait times. It’s just too much. I used to come into the park, put my phone on airplane mode and leave after 12 hours with at least 80% charge. I also don’t want to be buried in my phone when I’m here.

Lots of ride breakdowns. It seemed like Thursday every time I checked the app, the LL ride I wanted was offline. Yesterday morning I went direct to webslingers about 9 and it was down. Went to Monsters Inc and as I’m boarding it was determined to be a breakdown. The communication from there was chaotic at best. Since I was at the boarding station I could hear everything. The CM kept saying “yes, we’ll let people wait but they can also leave while receiving an experience redemption. She used a different word but I forgot. So, rather than getting people off the ride and out then letting us at the front of the line go, she let about 60 people from a different lane go through. I didn’t want to wait for the ride to come back up. Finally about 15 min later I left and outside were two lines of people from the queue getting their passes scanned for the redemption. That was frustrating. I already waited and was boarding, priority should have gone differently. No biggie.

Then I go to guardians and it’s down. Later in the afternoon I went to redeem the pass for Matterhorn but some CM’s were directing people off the street near the entrance for some short frozen parade. I asked the CM “ok, so how can I get around to Matterhorn?”
She gruffly replied “it’s down you can’t go!”

I circled back and around and got to Matterhorn only to discover it was not down.

I got a churro and went home after that around 4:00. Took 2 hours with traffic but I was just happy to be off my feet.

Pros: Lamplight lounge brunch was awesome! Eggs Benedict with crab cakes was just killer
Tropical Hideaway was a great and cost effective snack. I wish they offered more items like that in DCA.
I was happy to be back. All the security crew checking bags were great and not typical “don’t talk to me” guards.
The folks I met at trader Sam’s were great and made my night much better. That’s the experience I love when solo places.
Galaxy’s edge was incredible and rise of the resistance exceeded my expectations. I don’t even particularly like star wars!

Some thoughts:
I wish there were better ways, transportation wise to get between areas within each park and even between the 2 parks. I always expect to walk a lot but now having these pre-scheduled return times for rides, a lot of walking was redundant. I utilize the DTD/GC entrance to DCA and the monorail to DL. It’s not enough.

There needs to be free places to plug your phone in to charge. I couldn’t find my power bank at home for the life of me and if I hadn’t had the hotel room in the evening to charge before I went back out, I’d have been in a pickle.

I can’t wait for WDW and I plan to take more rest breaks and prioritize my time better

If you read this far, thanks.

Great report!

Interesting experience with online checkin - that must have been frustrating. Glad you were able to capture some magic in the parks to make up for it!

I hope they get the breakdowns under control. I know what you mean about walking! I haven't been as active in preparation for my trip, and I'm pretty nervous I'm just not going to have the stamina to go like I used to.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

some more

Attachments

• IMG_6998.jpeg
    IMG_6998.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6999.jpeg
    IMG_6999.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7002.jpeg
    IMG_7002.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7006.jpeg
    IMG_7006.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7017.jpeg
    IMG_7017.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7028.jpeg
    IMG_7028.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6938.jpeg
    IMG_6938.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6940.jpeg
    IMG_6940.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6949.jpeg
    IMG_6949.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 32

Not to spoil your upcoming WDW visit, but that is a whole different animal when it comes to LL. Learn to REFRESH.
Do not put a rush on being at the parks during Early Entry (if staying at a Disney Resort, EE works best at HS, if you know the pattern to take). I found more benefit in stacking and booking LL/ILL at the resort and then coming into the park in the afternoon.

Thanks for the great report. Sorry you had issues with check-in. The part about using phones alot is a drag. I had to plug mine into my portable charger after being in the parks a couple of hours. Plus it's just nice not always having to refer to it for food, lines etc.

I know what you mean about the walking. I went for a 1 night trip a few weeks ago and my feet and legs were killing me by the end of the first day. I could barely move on day 2. I take walks every day at home and thought I was in reasonably good shape! I'm currently in training for our June trip lol

What is that yummy looking dumpling in your picture? The eggs Benedict with crab cakes looks amazing! That's the main reason i want brunch reservations at Lamplight.

I think your sentiments are pretty common for people returning from Disneyland post-reopening. People don't like looking at their phones and ride breakdowns are far too frequent and can really mess up a day.

Decisiveness, physical stamina, etc are all personal things that can affect your ability to maximize your time in the parks but it's OK to slow down and rest too.

Thanks for the great report. Sorry you had issues with check-in. The part about using phones alot is a drag. I had to plug mine into my portable charger after being in the parks a couple of hours. Plus it's just nice not always having to refer to it for food, lines etc.

I know what you mean about the walking. I went for a 1 night trip a few weeks ago and my feet and legs were killing me by the end of the first day. I could barely move on day 2. I take walks every day at home and thought I was in reasonably good shape! I'm currently in training for our June trip lol

What is that yummy looking dumpling in your picture? The eggs Benedict with crab cakes looks amazing! That's the main reason i want brunch reservations at Lamplight.
That would be the loco moco bao from tropical hideaway. Quite delicious but the lumpia and any lumpia I encounter in life, has my heart lol

I think your sentiments are pretty common for people returning from Disneyland post-reopening. People don't like looking at their phones and ride breakdowns are far too frequent and can really mess up a day.

Decisiveness, physical stamina, etc are all personal things that can affect your ability to maximize your time in the parks but it's OK to slow down and rest too.
You’re absolutely right. It was definitely a good gauge for how to attack my WDW trip. I’m going to focus on a few things I loved from the last trip(test track especially since it’s different now), prioritize things I’ve never done either because they’re new (pandora), or because I just didn’t get around to them before.

I’m going to work on the physical thing over the next several months. And since I’m staying at boardwalk and bay lake tower, I’m going to make sure I take a rest/freshen up every day and that will help. Since I’ve gone galaxy’s edge it’s not as much of a priority for me at HS which lets me focus on Epcot for the bulk of the trip. I will be making more time to eat and drink and people watch because I didn’t eat as much as I should’ve Thursday and it definitely affected me.

100% agree with you about the phone! I see guests on their phones and pushing a stroller at the same time. It is just not a great idea.
Pre-Covid, I was ok walking at the park. Now, I go home after 6 to 8 hours at DLR. This summer, I'm trying to get my family to go to DLR more often to get ready for all the walking next year. According to my 9 y.o., we are going to all the Disney Parks at Summer of 23. Haha. In reality, we will probably go to WDW and maybe tag on a Disney Cruise because I'll need to just rest at the cruise ship.
Another thing I'm not used to (maybe I'm just old and refuses to learn new stuff) is planning that far ahead with dining reservations and LL & Genie +. Can't I just get in a reasonable line and ride something or wait like 30 min at a restaurant?
Now I just feel Grumpy. Hahaha.

Great report. Interestingly we had some terrible service at Trader Sam’s recently after waiting for an outside table for an hour we saw so many empty tables. Glad they weren’t full as the server we had had a tough time with what he had. Nothing a little rum didn’t fix lol
The app makes things easier in some ways and more difficult in others but overall we felt it worked well. Mobile food ordering was amazing.
Have a great trip to the world!

Love it when people report back on their trips! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics.

I feel the same way about Ballast Point. Yes, for a cold draft…belch on the food.

Yeah, on the glued to the phone deal. I go to the Parks a few times a month, so it’s much easier for me to stay off my phone but man…it’s eye opening to watch the all the guests missing details about the Parks because they have to rely on the technology to get them from one ride to another.

Yeah, on the glued to the phone deal. I go to the Parks a few times a month, so it’s much easier for me to stay off my phone but man…it’s eye opening to watch the all the guests missing details about the Parks because they
have to rely on the technology to get them from one ride to another.
Same here.... I loved the short time between reopening from pandemic and Genie+/LL turning on. It reminded me of older Disney days. When we wanted to ride or eat something we could just wait in medium size lines and do so.

People forget the main reason standby lines are so insane is because of FastPass and now G+/LL. Most of the attractions themselves are designed to handle 1,000 to 2,000+ guests per hour with queue lines also able to accommodate an hour wait or so.

Great trip report!!

This became a bit long winded so bare with me.

A little background on me… I’m just about 40, I’ve lived 70 miles from DL my whole life, been an AP holder many years, DL Paris in 1998, WDW in 1994, 2008, 2011. My last DL trip was January 2019.

I started writing this at the bar late Thursday night and am updating it now Saturday morning from home.

Well, I took a chance and bought a magic key recently with today being my first day using it and first day back in the parks since January. I also went a little crazy and booked a night at the Disneyland hotel since I’ve never stayed here ever and since this was my first solo trip and I was able to reserve today and tomorrow, I did a little “YOLO”. In hindsight probably not the best idea. This trip has been… different.

I also planned the stay to prep for my upcoming 5 day solo trip to WDW. I needed to get a feel for being solo, the recent changes with needing to constantly use the app, and staying overnight.

My first issue is that online checkin did not work for me. There was an issue with the card I had on file for incidentals and no one bothered to tell me. So I took a chance and went to guest services around 5:00 to sort it out. I also decided to have a shower and some fresh socks and stuff. Had I not gone there I’d probably still be wondering when my room would be ready. There’s no system in place to let me know there was an issue.

*update: I got the text with my room info and that it was ready at 9am the day I checked out*

A couple hours in I decided to buy genie+ for the day and I’m glad I did. Being a local, my tolerance for lines is small. However, there’s a lot of new stuff I’ve never done before. I could’ve gone on more rides but I’m tired.

Millennium Falcon: single rider walked on
Thunder mountain: LL 10 min
Rise of the resistance: lightning lane 15 min
Oga’s walk up: 10 min
Web slingers: single rider 30 min
Guardians: LL 30 min
Soarin: LL 30 min

I’ve noticed a lot of indecision on my part and a lot of aimless walking. That’s ok, tomorrow I will have a list of what to do/where to go. Early in the day I was chilled out and having a great time. I need to work on my physical stamina for my WDW trip. I’m deliriously tired at this point and day drinking didn’t help.

I’ve mainly been grazing at various quick service places today. I went to DTD to ballast point and had some nice barrel aged beers and quiet possibly the worst smash burger I’ve ever had. It was like eating pencil eraser jerky and was missing items like grilled onion and sauce for some reason. I didn’t say anything, it didn’t matter. $20 gone. Will only drink there next time. Every time I looked for dining reservations there was nothing, as I sort of expected. Walking up as a party of 1 didn’t seem to make a difference anywhere. I say that in my 30th minute waiting by the fireplace for a spot at Trader Sam’s to have a night cap. Somewhat ignored for 20 min after being sat but it’s ok. Lots of open seating but they’re limiting people coming in. I assume because there’s one bartender and each drink takes 20 minutes to make.

Some thoughts after day 1:

I don’t want to come off negative but there are some things I just can’t stand. I hate that I’m forced to be on my phone a lot throughout the day. From finding lightning lanes to my ticket to my hotel room key. Trying to book dinner reservations or looking at menus or wait times. It’s just too much. I used to come into the park, put my phone on airplane mode and leave after 12 hours with at least 80% charge. I also don’t want to be buried in my phone when I’m here.

Lots of ride breakdowns. It seemed like Thursday every time I checked the app, the LL ride I wanted was offline. Yesterday morning I went direct to webslingers about 9 and it was down. Went to Monsters Inc and as I’m boarding it was determined to be a breakdown. The communication from there was chaotic at best. Since I was at the boarding station I could hear everything. The CM kept saying “yes, we’ll let people wait but they can also leave while receiving an experience redemption. She used a different word but I forgot. So, rather than getting people off the ride and out then letting us at the front of the line go, she let about 60 people from a different lane go through. I didn’t want to wait for the ride to come back up. Finally about 15 min later I left and outside were two lines of people from the queue getting their passes scanned for the redemption. That was frustrating. I already waited and was boarding, priority should have gone differently. No biggie.

Then I go to guardians and it’s down. Later in the afternoon I went to redeem the pass for Matterhorn but some CM’s were directing people off the street near the entrance for some short frozen parade. I asked the CM “ok, so how can I get around to Matterhorn?”
She gruffly replied “it’s down you can’t go!”

I circled back and around and got to Matterhorn only to discover it was not down.

I got a churro and went home after that around 4:00. Took 2 hours with traffic but I was just happy to be off my feet.

Pros: Lamplight lounge brunch was awesome! Eggs Benedict with crab cakes was just killer
Tropical Hideaway was a great and cost effective snack. I wish they offered more items like that in DCA.
I was happy to be back. All the security crew checking bags were great and not typical “don’t talk to me” guards.
The folks I met at trader Sam’s were great and made my night much better. That’s the experience I love when solo places.
Galaxy’s edge was incredible and rise of the resistance exceeded my expectations. I don’t even particularly like star wars!

Some thoughts:
I wish there were better ways, transportation wise to get between areas within each park and even between the 2 parks. I always expect to walk a lot but now having these pre-scheduled return times for rides, a lot of walking was redundant. I utilize the DTD/GC entrance to DCA and the monorail to DL. It’s not enough.

There needs to be free places to plug your phone in to charge. I couldn’t find my power bank at home for the life of me and if I hadn’t had the hotel room in the evening to charge before I went back out, I’d have been in a pickle.

I can’t wait for WDW and I plan to take more rest breaks and prioritize my time better

If you read this far, thanks.
Thank you for your story. I went to DL a few years ago, and as a WDW veteran I will say, brace yourself for like 4 times the amount of walking for WDW. I don't say that to scare you (or shame you) but just as someone who knows what they are talking about. Start walking everyday... because you will walk MILES at WDW!

I forgot to add this tidbit and was reminded by a YouTube video today.

Last Thursday and Friday I saw the most private VIP tours I’ve ever seen. I would say no less than 10 of the plaid vests guiding folks around both parks over the two days. How do so many people have that kind of dough?!?

I forgot to add this tidbit and was reminded by a YouTube video today.

Last Thursday and Friday I saw the most private VIP tours I’ve ever seen. I would say no less than 10 of the plaid vests guiding folks around both parks over the two days. How do so many people have that kind of dough?!?
Well I will be one of them come August. Myself (grandmother), my sons mom in law (Grandma2) and three grandkids ages 5, 7, and 9. It was a combination of this being a special trip, not relying the whole trip on my tech skills ( ok, but not like the kids of today, for sure! I should probably give the phone to the 9 year old!) The other adult does NOT do tech, she only recently upgraded from a flip phone and mostly will facetime with grandkids and text. Wanting to be present and keep an eye on grandkids and not phone, at least until I get a handle on the park and the app. My mom recently passed, and Im using some of the money she left me for special family experiences, this is one of them. One of my grandkids will have a DAS due to some anxiety/sensory issues, so this helps me not have to be on a schedule for LL on the rides she doesn't want to do. First day in a new place is more challenging for her.

For some I'm sure if they are spliting the cost between a few families or friends, it's probably not much more than people dropping $$$ on lightsabers or restaurants like Napa Rose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter