• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back - February 20-26

chloelovesdisney

DIS Veteran
First, I want to say a big thank you to everyone that has answered my many, many questions the last couple of months. :flower3::disrocks:

As always, my hard crafted plans were changed somewhat as the week went on, we can only do so many early mornings and late nights. DHS ended up getting scrapped totally for some resort downtime.
A few observations -

Epcot - Soarin was fantastic, we asked to sit in the middle section since it was distorted the last time sitting on the side, what a difference!

We met Baymax for the first time instead of going through the usual Character Connection, he's really very special and the wait was well worth it.

We never made it on Spaceship Earth, the wait was posted as 45 minutes and the line was moving so slow, we gave up and hoped to try again later but it was still long when we returned a few hours later. :sad1:

Animal Kingdom - thanks to the poster that gave me the heads up when they added fastpasses for FoP after they extended the park hours, it was my son's #1 ride during the week! It was better than I expected and I'm really thankful we got to give it a try.

Unfortunately my plan to rush over to Na'vi River right before closing didn't work out, my son had to make a quick bathroom stop and we missed it by a few minutes. When they say they close at 8:30p, they really close the line at 8:30p. :crazy2:

Pandora overall was a cool and fun place to see at night, I do wish the signage was a bit better to find our way around.

Rivers of Light - also our first time seeing this show, I expected a little bit more but did enjoy it and would see it again. A tip if you bring a stroller, the CM showed me where to park it on arrival to the FP entrance but didn't mention it would be moved, when we came out it was parked quite a bit away and in the dark it took a little while with a phone flashlight to track it down. Next time I'll find a stroller parking spot myself where we plan to go next and just leave it there for later.

We met Russell for the first time, another new character favorite. :goodvibes

Magic Kingdom - holy moly, ride breakdowns were crazy on Thursday. :headache:

Splash was basically down all day long except for the last couple of hours. No sooner did it start up then it had a 90 minute wait time. BTMRR never worked the entire time we were there. We were very lucky to get on SDMT twice early in the day, as it was also down for several hours in the afternoon/early evening. Pooh went down twice, and Space Mountain also went down at one point.

With so many rides out of commission, the lines at the other attractions were longer than I would have expected. The FP line for Jungle Cruise was all the way up the hill past the Flying Carpets, I've never seen anything like it before. :scared:

Still we made the best of it, worked with FP on the app as much as possible and managed to have a fun day. When the line for Buzz was an hour long, we went into the Laugh Factory and CoP, by then it was down to 30 minutes so we hopped in (turned out to be 35 minutes by the time we got on).

The Plaza dessert party was a first for us and we really enjoyed it. HEA was great, as a die-hard Wishes fan even I was impressed.

We had a FP for Talking Mickey first thing in the morning and got to see him again right before closing. It was totally worth it and I'm so sad he'll be gone soon. My son adores him and we've always had a great experience with him. :worried: :(

Blizzard Beach - not much to say, can't go wrong with a water park. :flower1:

Eek, this is longer than I anticipated, I'll wrap it up here. 8-)
o_O

Thanks for the trip report. Very disappointing that Splash is down so much. They closed it for months recently. What on earth did they do during that refurb??

Glad you had a good trip, we were there too 10th-24th and experienced the multiple ride breakdowns on the Wednesday and Thursday! Sadly when we saw Talking Mickey he wasn't talking. I had the same stroller issue too, whilst in some ways it is helpful having it whipped off you, we then had no idea where it ended up and it took ages to locate in the dark.

We loved Baymax too, and Happily Ever After

Thanks for the trip report. Very disappointing that Splash is down so much. They closed it for months recently. What on earth did they do during that refurb??
On Thursday evening we were asking a cast member if he thought there was any chance Splash might run that day. Even he said it never used to breakdown before the refurb but since that had been down constantly!

[QUOTE="chloelovesdisney, post: 58878182, member: 156591
Rivers of Light - also our first time seeing this show, I expected a little bit more but did enjoy it and would see it again. A tip if you bring a stroller, the CM showed me where to park it on arrival to the FP entrance but didn't mention it would be moved, when we came out it was parked quite a bit away and in the dark it took a little while with a phone flashlight to track it down. Next time I'll find a stroller parking spot myself where we plan to go next and just leave it there for later.

Magic Kingdom - holy moly, ride breakdowns were crazy on Thursday. :headache:

o_O[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip about the strollers. We've been through the "I''m sure the stroller was around here, but it was moved" hunt, but never at night at AK. I think we'll try a few glow sticks. Everybody look for the green glow sticks.

Ride breakdowns.......I don't know the details, and I know things break down, but disney is still getting paid. We've been a bunch of times, but for people who take a 5 days trip every few years, what a letdown.

I'm so sorry about the ride breakdowns. There were some threads about it last week. That would be really disappointing. It's not just about missing that ride, but what that does to the lines at the other rides. And 45 minutes for Spaceship Earth? :faint: Ugh. Glad you had some great moments though.

We were also there during that week. Wednesday and Thursday at MK were really disappointing! We've been to WDW before so we knew that missing a ride wouldn't be the end of the world, but when Space, Splash and BTMRR are all down at once it really messes with everything else. We stopped at Guest relations and asked for extra FPs for another day and they were happy to give them to us. We chose to use them at Epcot instead of MK because of the incoming weekend race crowds.

On Thursday evening we were asking a cast member if he thought there was any chance Splash might run that day. Even he said it never used to breakdown before the refurb but since that had been down constantly!

We were there Dec/Nov and it was down A LOT.

We were there the 21st through the 26th and during that time the following rides were down:

DHS - ToT (only half the elevators worked)
MK - Splash (although we got to ride on our last night), BTMRR, Space Mountain, Buzz, Pirates (which caused a big slowdown with the Splash Mtn fastpass because it seemed like everyone that had FP for pirates used theirs at splash when pirates went down!)

That's just what we experienced, I'm sure more were down as we didn't try to ride everything. In addition, the construction work at DHS caused problems in the parking lot. We had a hard time figuring out how to get back out to our car from the main entrance and we weren't the only ones! Several people were wandering around looking lost and several groups (us being one) were turned around by castmembers saying we needed to go back the other way to get to the parking lot, what a mess!

I may have to wait until the major construction is all over before we come back. It was definitely one of the more frustrating trips we've had. I still had a ton of fun, but there were a lot more problems this time around.

So they might have to do a refurb to fix the refurb?

Pandora overall was a cool and fun place to see at night, I do wish the signage was a bit better to find our way around.

The Plaza dessert party was a first for us and we really enjoyed it. HEA was great, as a die-hard Wishes fan even I was impressed.

o_O

I am glad you liked Pandora at night, I am excited to see it on my upcoming trip! Also I am def going to try the Dessert party if I can!!

I appreciate your feedback!

We were also there during that week. Wednesday and Thursday at MK were really disappointing! We've been to WDW before so we knew that missing a ride wouldn't be the end of the world, but when Space, Splash and BTMRR are all down at once it really messes with everything else. We stopped at Guest relations and asked for extra FPs for another day and they were happy to give them to us. We chose to use them at Epcot instead of MK because of the incoming weekend race crowds.

We went to Epcot and AK prior to our MK day otherwise I would have also made a stop at guest relations. It was our last park day (aside from Blizzard Beach). When we left about 11:15pm the line was out the door for guest relations, I think they were hearing their fair share of complaints about it. ::yes::

I am glad you liked Pandora at night, I am excited to see it on my upcoming trip! Also I am def going to try the Dessert party if I can!!

I appreciate your feedback!

Pandora at night has such an otherworldly atmosphere, it is beautiful and totally immersive. We loved it, it's like a walk through attraction. As for the daytime, we loved the photo ops!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter