Just Back Comments

Simba UK

Earning My Ears
Actually its been nearly 2 weeks but here goes (sorry lengthy)

Flights - Flew with United from Heathrow, via Newark and back via Chicago. Have flown with them number of times so know what to expect. Turned up at checkin to find chaos, everyone had to goto the desk. Basically plane had been changed and they needed to find "alternatives" for alot of people. Some were lucky and got moved onto BA/Virgin flights, some onto other flights and some unlucky people told they cannot fly today. We were OK as the assistant wanted to help get families onboard. Bit of scare as they couldn't get a seat for daughter but it was sorted. Plane with On Demand and was OK just a smaller plane

US Immigration in Newark - United had changed our flight times a couple of times before we flew but on the second they were suggesting a 1 hour connection was ok. As we a regulars I asked for a longer connection (which we don't mind) and had a 4 hours connection. This was good. We landed on time but immigration queue was bad, in total i think it was just over 1.5 hours to get through. I heard so many people complaining that they were going to miss their connection. Also I am not sure why but in the hall they didn't direct anyone to the new stand alone immigration machines. As regulars I was confident we would be ideal candidates

Orlando - arrived on time but found that between Newark and Orlando one of the suitcases had been damaged. Didn't bother reporting it just brought a new one from the malls for the return journey

Disney - as regulars we love this place so find it hard to be critical. Will focus on few negatives
Restaurants - this applies to most of the restaurants, Disney training is definitely going downhill. Alot of staff struggled with basics (welcome, serving, understanding of requirements etc). We are pretty calm people but on instances this was a challenge
Buses - for someone who has been going for 20 years I can say for sure that the service has been cut back more and more. Avoid coming back from Downtown Disney too late. We waited 45 mins one day for a bus. Buses too and from parks were not as good ( it could be that we were just very unlucky but alot of people commented). Again as a regular i felt the need to give the hotel front desk some feedback to help future visitors and was surprised at the response I got from a cast member "Its a complimentary service what do you expect" my thoughts, "oh dear, has it really got to this!"
Fastpasses - we booked 60 days ahead but had to be flexible due to the weather. On one day when the mine train was down we were told to come back later in the day which we and many others did. I really felt sorry for the poor people in the standby line. I am sure they must have waited for hours on that day.
Weather - Ok I will tell it as I see it, we go every year and I have to say we definitely did see more rain then usual. We adapted to the situation but I can see why some people who waited a long time and spent alot of money would be disappointed. Of course its Florida so we also had some great hot days
Hollywood Studios - with all the recent announcements i fear this will be a construction site for a number of years. It was hard filling a day with some many closures already.
Fantasmic - OK this was probably my biggest frustration, we sat in seats waiting for the show as did everyone else. it didn't start on time and then 10 mins later we were told it was cancelled. There was no explanation, no issue with the weather, no prior announcements etc. Disney kept taking peoples money (beers, food, toy lights etc) right to the last minute. Appreciate it may have been something beyond their control but again I felt for those first timers

Uber - Ok as a non driver (on holiday) I asked for views on Uber on this forum before I left. It is fantastic. A one way taxi to Florida Mall from Pop Century usually costs approx $42. With Uber it was $17. Drivers and cars were better than the taxis. We used Uber often, drivers appreciated tips even though they kept saying it wasn't required

To finish, we will of course go next year, have booked the bounceback. As a family its the best 2 weeks of the year.

So now the flight hunting beings again

Thanks for your thoughts. Uber sounds like it might be worth exploring for us next year. Would they do a transfer from Universal to Disney with luggage or are they more for journeys within your stay?
Your thoughts on dining are interesting, I've just ot the Unofficial Guide for 2016 and the star ratings are definitely down on quite a few restaurants. We still have dining plan booked!!
We've had the same experience in Fantasmic - it's disappointing and has put my DD and DH off waiting - I did it solo last year. :charac2:

Thanks for the report. I wouldn't have been happy to be told that about the buses by the front desk. It is 'complimentary', but that's why you pay a premium price to stay onsite. It's not like nobody pays for the transportation service.

Answers to some of the questions

Re Uber from universal to disney, I am sure you can travel with luggage. FYI when using uber you can use the class of car, I stayed with basic cars but if I really wanted I could have selected the super premium and travelled everywhere in a top of the range car (eg Porsche)

Re buses and hotel cast member response, yes I wasn't happy but didn't have the energy on the day to get into a debate

Re us free dining, yes we book this every year with the bounceback deals in the rooms.

One other point I missed, they have stopped the housekeeping leaving animals towels in rooms. Real shame, yet another unnecessary cutback. It was those small things that helped keep things magical

Hiya. Interesting to hear your comments on United. We got back yesterday and had problems both ways.

Main problem is that we've lost several items bought at the outlets on the way back - all pilfered from checked baggage. Michael Kors handbags & purses, perfume and some golf gear. Alll from the same suitcase. Have reported to travel insurance but they need a report from United and their website is less than clear !!!! Daughter is really upset as the MK stuff was all hers and although I hope to get back from insurance there's no chance of buying at same price here.

We flew from Edinburgh via Newark both ways. On the way out we were given a 45 min transfer window (arrive 12 pm, next flight 12.45 pm) so I changed the 2nd flight from Newark to 3 pm - just as well as the Edin flight was actually delayed over 2 hours. Pilot announces everyone with connecting flights had been rebooked by ground agents. We arrived at 1.45 pm and got through immigration really quickly, so much so that the friendly immigration officer was confident we'd catch our 3 pm connection no probs. Then reached the connection hall, picked up our bags to find they weren't letting anyone through the connection line and the queue was around 3 walls of the hall. Found another family right in front of us in the queue from the same Edinburgh flight going to Orlando on the 3 pm connection.

Anyway, they eventually open the connection line and as we get through the family immediately in front were directed to the gate but we got directed to a rebooking agent. NOT HAPPY !! Turns out we hadn't been rebooked at all !! We were a party of 5 and got 2 seats on the 5 pm flight and 3 on the 7 pm flight with the first 3 stand-bys for the 5 pm. Absolute chaos at the rebooking desk (although the agents themselves were excellent).

Down to the gate for the 5 pm flight to find the other party who had got through the line there as they had been refused entry on the 3 pm flight at the gate !!! Even worse for them was that because we had got to the rebooking desk first they were all on the 7 pm flight.

Good news was that we all (including the other party) got on the 5 pm flight.

Will certainly think twice about using United again.

Glad you had a good time again, shame about your flights that is my fear going indirect and don't think I'll change my thoughts anymore on that now, agreed with the Disney little magical things they are slipping away slowly over the years ...

oops pressed return too quick. I loved this use of our Mickey Ears compared to an animal and useful too for putting housekeeping tip in.

Thanks for your thoughts. Uber sounds like it might be worth exploring for us next year. Would they do a transfer from Universal to Disney with luggage or are they more for journeys within your stay?

Your thoughts on dining are interesting, I've just ot the Unofficial Guide for 2016 and the star ratings are definitely down on quite a few restaurants. We still have dining plan booked!!
We've had the same experience in Fantasmic - it's disappointing and has put my DD and DH off waiting - I did it solo last year. :charac2:

i used Uber last month from Disney to Universal with our luggage - no problems at all. I also used Uber on 5 other occasions, and only once did we get a car with a hatchback, all the others were either SUVs or big saloons. If we hadn't had a very early morning time to leaving our hotel to get to MCO on our departure day I'd have used Uber for that as well.
We were 3 adults and 3 cases, and the normal Uber cars were fine for us - if you are a bigger party than 4, or may need more room for your luggage, you can choose UberXL for that journey.

i used Uber last month from Disney to Universal with our luggage - no problems at all. I also used Uber on 5 other occasions, and only once did we get a car with a hatchback, all the others were either SUVs or big saloons. If we hadn't had a very early morning time to leaving our hotel to get to MCO on our departure day I'd have used Uber for that as well.
We were 3 adults and 3 cases, and the normal Uber cars were fine for us - if you are a bigger party than 4, or may need more room for your luggage, you can choose UberXL for that journey.
Oh I never thought about uber in florida. I'm doing a half and half trip. How much did it cost you from disney to universal? :)

it was under 15 dollars, bargain, and actually that one was free, as i had a first-journey code for up to $30 dollars off. we also used uber from I-Drive out to Disney, again each journey was less than $15, so $5 each person.

thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!!

shame about the decline in service and the attitude you encountered...

as for DHS, they're even making it worse - mulch, sweat and shears is coming to an end on october 10 - so crazy....it was one of the things we loved to do there...and with so little to do, it's hard to get up the enthusiasm to go there at all!!

thanks for the uber tip!!
i never thought of using uber!! what a great idea!
this changes my thoughts of how we'll organise our next trip...
i was thinking of renting three cars (3 families), but instead i'll take one big van for when we're all together, then the younger couples can use uber when they go it alone....that's fantastic!!!!

it was under 15 dollars, bargain, and actually that one was free, as i had a first-journey code for up to $30 dollars off. we also used uber from I-Drive out to Disney, again each journey was less than $15, so $5 each person.

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but just wanted to say that this information is so useful! I'm toying with the idea of using Uber next May and under $15 from Disney to Universal is definitely a bargain! We do split stays as we choose not to drive over there and at that price it looks like we'll be using Uber to switch from CSR to RPR after all.

Good comments all round :)

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but just wanted to say that this information is so useful! I'm toying with the idea of using Uber next May and under $15 from Disney to Universal is definitely a bargain! We do split stays as we choose not to drive over there and at that price it looks like we'll be using Uber to switch from CSR to RPR after all.

Does it sound bad that I'll want to use Uber just so I can have a drink at Uni lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter