Just Back...BC Mousekeeping Disappointing

I have found housekeeping to be hit or miss at most WDW resorts and the best thing to do, when in need of towels, etc. is to call housekeeping from the room phone to make the request. You can also call to report any repeated issues (towels repeatedly not being refreshed, etc.) so the higher-ups can speak with or re-train staff. I have also found that leaving kind notes in the morning (may we please have extra coffee? extra shampoo?) works very well and they usually overcompensate for the request (Lots of coffee being left!) The actual housekeepers are not hired to directly communicate with guests. They are there to clean rooms and replenish supplies. And while I understand it is frustrating to encounter a lack of attention repeatedly during your stay, there are several ways to resolve these issues. I've had many issues with WDW housekeeping throughout the years that had nothing to do with language barriers. It's a huge, huge resort and I think the service has gone downhill across most departments big time. We still visit though, because, overall, we enjoy our experience. I just temper my service expectations.

BC is a deluxe hotel - anywhere outside of WDW if I was paying $471.00 plus tax and fees (and that is the current rate on the WDW website) I would certainly expect to have extra towels, shampoo or whatever I reasonably requested promptly delivered to my room. I don't believe that I should "temper my service expectations" as the above poster suggested --part of what you are paying for is service. I expect no less from a Disney hotel experience as I would from any other deluxe hotel anywhere in the country.

At $400+ a night, everything should be cleaned and replenished on a daily basis, without needing to be requested! I'd also venture to say that if my "Do Not Disturb" sign is hanging on the door, the housekeeper should check back before going off-shift to see if the room is ready to be cleaned at the later time. Regarding the language issue, if you cannot understand the words necessary to perform your job, the employer needs to become involved in providing the appropriate training. I'm not saying housekeepers have to be conversational, but they should be able to understand a request for more of any supply or a request for them to return at a later time, etc. THAT is part of the job.

My housekeeping service at home often sends people who don't speak English. I use Google translate on my phone to make requests. No big deal. If they have to speak to me, they speak into Google translate on my phone and it translates to English. No biggie at all. In 2017, communication over a language barrier is just not a problem.

If I'm paying that much for a hotel room, the room better be spotless and replenished daily. The language barrier wouldn't be an issue if they housekeeper were doing her job in the first place.

If something isn't right with my room I shouldn't have to "go to the front desk" to get it resolved. I should be able to pick up the phone and get someone to do something about it.

I shouldn't pay 4 star prices for 1 star service. These issues at deluxe resorts are getting out of hand.

I've literally never had good housekeeping at a WDW resort. Ok housekeeping, sometimes. Bad housekeeping, yes. Good? Truly good? Nope

Believe it or not, my best housekeeping was at the All Star Music. The room was cleaned and the supplies replenished as they should be. And when I called down for more towels twice (we were using the pool a lot) they sent a giant pile of all towels to my room. The second time I called for more towels whoever answered the phone joked with me about how many towels we were using, so it was a bit of a smarty pants move. Which I found hysterical. But also kept us stocked in towels for the rest of the stay.

Believe it or not, my best housekeeping was at the All Star Music. The room was cleaned and the supplies replenished as they should be. And when I called down for more towels twice (we were using the pool a lot) they sent a giant pile of all towels to my room. The second time I called for more towels whoever answered the phone joked with me about how many towels we were using, so it was a bit of a smarty pants move. Which I found hysterical. But also kept us stocked in towels for the rest of the stay.
My best experience was at French Quarter. Fantastic cast member. I tweeted WDW about her and she got recognized AMD tweeted back a picture of her with her award at the resort. Pretty cool of them to do.

Some great points made about going to the front desk. I will have to do that if it occurs next time

My housekeeping service at home often sends people who don't speak English. I use Google translate on my phone to make requests. No big deal. If they have to speak to me, they speak into Google translate on my phone and it translates to English. No biggie at all. In 2017, communication over a language barrier is just not a problem.
Wow.

Now, that is great if you hire someone, at your own home.

But after paying top dollar at a hotel? I don't think so.

It really shouldn't be that much trouble to get a clean, stocked room. Heck, this should be happening every day that you have housekeeping. I shouldn't have to track down the housekeeper, make sure that I have my phone and some translate program running, just to get clean towels.

It is probably at least in part a problem of not enough English speaking people wanting to be hired in as housekeepers. But to me the blame lands on whoever is in charge of housekeeping. It shouldn't be that hard to explain that part of your job is leaving towels and soap and such.

We just left BC and we had great housekeeping thankfully. We had more soap, shampoo and lotion than we could use, so we had some to take home. We were also happy that our room was done before 2 pm each daywhich is about when we take a break.

I think the big issue is not being able to pick up your room phone and talk to someone at your resort to get a problem resolved. It doesn't matter if it's housekeeping or maintenance - calls should be routed to someone in house to assign someone to take care of what you need. It can be a VERY long walk to the front desk from some WDW rooms, and it should not be on the guest to have to make that walk for something as simple as toiletries or towels. I have never stayed at any other hotel that didn't have a direct extension to housekeeping to ask for towels, or pillows, or whatever. The only way I'm making that long walk is if my MB won't unlock my door. Once I'm in there, I'm just not going to make that effort - and I shouldn't have to (especially at the prices Disney charges for a room). Even if you have a good housekeeper who stocked your room correctly, sometimes you need extra and it's so difficult to get it done.

I think the big issue is not being able to pick up your room phone and talk to someone at your resort to get a problem resolved. It doesn't matter if it's housekeeping or maintenance - calls should be routed to someone in house to assign someone to take care of what you need. It can be a VERY long walk to the front desk from some WDW rooms, and it should not be on the guest to have to make that walk for something as simple as toiletries or towels. I have never stayed at any other hotel that didn't have a direct extension to housekeeping to ask for towels, or pillows, or whatever. The only way I'm making that long walk is if my MB won't unlock my door. Once I'm in there, I'm just not going to make that effort - and I shouldn't have to (especially at the prices Disney charges for a room). Even if you have a good housekeeper who stocked your room correctly, sometimes you need extra and it's so difficult to get it done.

There is a housekeeping button on the phone that goes directly to them. I know because I called to request some extra coffee and they delivered it within a few minutes.

We will be back at BC in August. We had some issues with housekeeping our last three trips-two at BC and one at AKL. I am not happy with the many reports of reduced housekeeping efforts. There is zero excuse for shoddy, erratic housekeeping at ANY Disney resort, much less the Deluxe ones. The housekeeping should be flawless, in every room.

I am always amazed when people say "oh we prefer to do it ourselves anyway" as a way to excuse inferior services. These services are part of what we are paying for, not just the proximity to the parks and running water and a bed. It is like hiring a caterer and a venue and then cooking the food yourself-what sense does that make?

Last edited:
We left a note two mornings in a row that we were out of shampoo and did not get any response though the $5 bill we left with the note was gone.
The third morning, the same housekeeper was starting her rounds, my husband went out and ask her for shampoo (we did not have a drop left).
She said she did not read English.
It has not occurred to us that she could not read the note we left.

We left a note two mornings in a row that we were out of shampoo and did not get any response though the $5 bill we left with the note was gone.
The third morning, the same housekeeper was starting her rounds, my husband went out and ask her for shampoo (we did not have a drop left).
She said she did not read English.
It has not occurred to us that she could not read the note we left.
It wouldn't occur to me that if she did not read English, that she wouldn't ask someone to read it to her.

::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::

We have had a few trips where we have called for towels and had no problems getting our request answered. This has been a result of us not always allowing housekeeping in our room, because it iwas not convient for us. I have also asked housekeepers in the halls for extra coffee's and this is a result of DH drinking numerous cups in the morning and during the day.

However, if my room was not being serviced properly on more than one ocassion during the same stay, I would be down at the front desk talking to somebody about it. Regardless of how long the walk is to the front desk, as a guest, I expect the service that I am paying for to be completed and if someone is not completing their duties, the front desk will be notified in a calm, polite, reasonable manner.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter