Just back and completly heartbroken

shadawn

Earning My Ears
Let me first start by saying that my my family had the most amazing Disney vaction!!! We stayed at the All-Star Sports and loved the atmosphere. We were there 7 days (but lost a whole day to thunderstorms:( ) We did the four major parks, BB and had a blast. We then headed over to the coast to board the Disney Wonder cruise ship. This was our first cruise(in fact our first vacation ever!) and it was soooo amazing words cannot describe how happy we all were(DH, DS-9, DD-6 and myself).

Now this is where I cried for 5 hours straight!! We got home mid afternoon and I was so excited to show our family and friends pictures, that I took all 14 rolls of film to our local photomat for 1hr developing. He asked that I give him 2, so I came back to find out that all 14 rolls of film were BLANK. I was devestated(and still am). The trip of a lifetime and I have nothing to show. I wanted so badly to blame the developer but after taking my camera in to get checked, found out that my shutter was broken. I had used it right before we left and all the pictures were great. I really could not believe this was happening.

It's been a week and the tears are gone but I've been writing EVERY little memory down so the $100 worth of scrapbooking material I bought will not go to waste. I'm filling the pages with written memories which I hope will keep all my "pictures" alive in my head. And hopefully we can get back to Disney and make more memories but with that $10,000 price tag, I don't see it happening any time soon!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your camera and lost photo memories.

It's good that you are writing down all of your memories. That's a great way to salvage what you can.

Maybe you could get your DS & DD to draw you some pictures of some of their best times at DW so you can include them in your scrap book. Maybe go to the Disney store and get some postcards to put in your scrap book too.

I know you miss your pictures terribly. But I bet your scrap book will be wonderful even without them.

Glad you had a great vacation.
Annemarie

I too am sorry to hear about your photographic mishap. Did you take a camcorder with you? My computer has a card which allows me to input video - I've used it to create "stills" from my video tape. Just a thought.

Oh no! That's terrible ... I wonder what happened? :( Was it your camera or the developing?

I can empathize because that happened my boyfriend once when he went to Vancouver ... He had a really strange manual camera and you have to load the film in just right, otherwise... poof!

The only advice I can offer is to develop one or two rolls while you're there. That way, you can make sure that your camera is working and you're getting the shots that you want. I do that on every trip ...

For your scrapbook, maybe you can stick in some receipts or souveniers like pressed pennies to go with your journaling. How about some maps or postcards. I have some 'standard' photos I took on my trip with no one in them... (like Cindy's castle, Spaceship Earth etc.) ... I can send you digital copies if you like... :p I never thought of getting stills from your camcorder ... That's a good idea too.

Oh no!!!! :( :(

So sorry to hear that.

I know this isn't the same as your own pictures, but I will give you a link to our Dan Murphy's picture posts: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php??s=&threadid=211797 This links to his first set. At the bottom of that post it links to the next set, and so on and so on and so on. There are literally HUNDREDS of photos in total, easily. So I know they're not the same as your own with you and your family in them, but Dan does take some wonderful photos of the sights, and maybe you could find some that you could use.

Shadawn - I'm so glad to hear your vacation was wonderful, but what a disappointment that the photos didn't turn out! I hope some of the suggestions offered here work out for you.

I am so sorry to hear about this, it is awful that this happened. As a scrapbooker I know how important those pictures are,even for those who don't scrap pictures are a must. Perhaps you incorporate this unfortunate event into your scrapbook and do a little write about the "camera that couldn't" and then put all your maps,itenirary,plane tix,reciepts,room cards,post cards ect in the scrapbook! I think that would be a wonderful way to preserve the trip! I love the idea of getting stills from the video camera an there are tons of pics to get off the net! Glad to hear that you had a great trip though! We also loved All-Star Sports!
P.S. You should come visit us on the Scrapbooking and Recipe Board!
Grover in Winnipeg
:cool:

I also sympathize greatly. Your idea of writing your memories immediately is a great one. I'm sure you can put together a great scrapbook with all the suggestions here. Add descriptions and drawings from your children, lists of their faves, not-so-fave moments/meals/rides along with the great photos others have done and it will still be a very nice personal souvenir. Remember, you'll get past it and some day you will be able to laugh about this and "the little camera that couldn't!"

OHH! How creative do you want to get & how computer savvy are you? You could even digitally insert & play with some photos of your kids in shorts the ages & sizes & appearances they are now and photos/postcards that you CAN get. A new skill developed that you can brag about later when looking at your family momento. Imagine how all in years later will marvel at your ability to save the day and still capture your family at the stage they're at now & the wonderful WDW sights you've seen.

I don't scrapbook -- that's next year's big project with the kids to extend the fun of this WDW trip -- But I'm imagining that with your memories written out on nice varied paper for each park interspersed with others souvenir ideas here you will still have a great album.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your uplifting words and suggestions. I have alot of maps, postcards, receipts, itineraries,ect... to work with but I didn't know that you can create stills from the camcorder. Our video is mostly of the cruise (we didn't want to lug it around all the parks. Big mistake now!!!) but at least I can look into that. Thanks again!!!;)

{{{Hugs}}}

Oh I'm so sorry for you.:( I can just imagine how I would feel in a similar situation. You'll just have to look on the positive side and this will be a great excuse for a return visit!;)

If your camcorder is a MiniDV format you can put a firewire adapter in your PC and transfer your viseo over that way and grab stills from it and a firewire card wil only run you about 40 bucks. It will also come with all the software you will need.

I am going to the WDW this coming Saturday through next Tuesday. I'd be glad to take photos of places/events you saw(Main Street, the castle, rides your children especially liked, Epcot, AK, MGM, etc.) and would be glad to send you copies when I get back. It wouldn't be as good as yours since the people would be missing, but I'd be glad to try. Let me know, I'd be pleased to try and help you out.

Joyce

Joyce.... You are amazing, I would love for your help and will repay you any way you'd like. If you get doubles or what ever, I would be very greatful. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You all have been so kind and I'm looking into the camcorder issue to see if I can do stills off of those.

THANK YOU :Pinkbounc

My pleasure, really. I'm doing a solo trip and will have four days to wander about the parks. Were the parks decorated for Christmas while you were there? Why don't you email me things/rides/places you'd like for me to get. My email address is deckerjp@aol.com I'm back on 18 December, so I'll get them developed right away and post them off to you.

Joyce

I read your post yesterday, and I couldn't read all of it or the replies because I was so heart broken for you. (I actually felt sick to my stomach) I went in Nov and was upset because a few rolls didn't turn out because I used a new camera. But it really was nothing in comparsion to what you are going thru. I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
I found this web address on another board and as #1disneyfan said they can't replace the pictures you took but they will help in with pics for your scrapbook.
http://lostworld.pair.com/trips/wdw2000_2/index.html

I'm a photoghapher and these are some of the most beautiful WDW pictures I have ever seen. Make sure you check his other WDW trips.
Wendy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter