Just Back! 1/20 to 1/27

fiasco32

Mouseketeer
Sitting at home snuggled up by the fireplace reminiscing about our just-completed trip to DW. Despite a few hiccups, we had a great time and I wanted to share some broad observations.

Quick overview of our trip:

We're a family of four (Dad, Mom, 8-year-old princess and 9-year-old prince). Booked at WL in a courtyard view bunkbed room. Did 6 parkhopper days with the DDP. We also booked EMM on our first morning and DAH on our last night.

Observations:

Crowd Sizes

Last year (our first time at WDW) I was very surprised by the crowd sizes, as I understood January to be "off-season." This year I went in with tempered expectations, which helped ease frustration when crowds swelled. Our Sunday at MK and Monday at HS were absolutely packed. LOTS of foreign teenage tour groups. Crowds seemed to lighten up just a tad as the week went on. Epcot on Tuesday seemed particularly light, as I noticed throughout the day that the standby line for FEA was only at 35 minutes at noon.

Fast Passes

Probably my biggest complaint of the whole trip would be the FP lines. I understand longer lines for TSMM and ToT in HS because there are refurbishment/mechanical issues there, but I would say we experienced MUCH longer FP lines this year than last year overall. At one point, the Haunted Mansion FP line was approaching 45 minutes. We waited a shorter time than than for our FoP FP! Seems crazy to have such long FP lines in January. I also found it absolutely impossible to find FPs within the next hour like I did last year. My strategy last year was to schedule our last FP to end around 1-2 pm, then just find the best FPs around the park for the rest of the day. This year, around 1-2 pm, the only FPs available were either for the much less popular/kiddie rides, or not available until 5-7 pm, creating a very large window where I was scrambling to find stuff for us to do.

Shows

Saw HEA for the first time. It was nice but I wasn't necessarily blown away. Not noticeably better than Wishes, IMO. Also saw Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage for the first time and was very impressed. The woman who played Belle sounded EXACTLY like in the animated movie. Great performance.

Frozen Sing Along was really good, but I wish they would let the actors ad-lib more. I saw a performance last year where the historians ad-libbed quite a bit and it was an absolute riot.

We also really really enjoyed the Monsters Inc. laugh floor. The comedians who do the show are very talented and I found myself sad it was so short. The audience participation with the video screen is sooo good, we left kicking ourselves that we only got to watch it once. IMO this is one of the most underrated things at MK.

I continue to be irritated at people who don't follow the directions to move all the way down the row when filling the theater. It's one of my biggest pet peeves about going to shows at Disney. WDW does an excellent job of building their theaters so there are no bad seats, but there are always entitled people who think they are owed the middle seats.

Extras

As said above, I splurged for both EMM on our first morning, as well as DAH on our last night. Great experiences with both and well worth it. Doing these allowed us to ride 7DMT a grand total of 15 times over the course of our trip! All with very minimal waits. If you can afford either/both of these events, I would say pull the trigger, but don't go into expecting zero waits on EVERY ride. WDW does a good job capping these events at a reasonable number, but no matter what you do, people are going to flock to certain rides.

We also used the Minnie Van service a handful of times. Generally positive reviews...the CM drivers were very friendly and were really good at gauging how much friendly conversation to have or not have. The one bummer was after DAH I had planned to hail a Minnie Van to avoid taking a shared bus, but the Lyft app searched and searched for literally 15 minutes and I could never hail one. That was frustrating as that's the one time I really thought it would be the most convenient.

At most parks, the Minnie Van pulls up closer than Ubers and taxis can, but that's not the case at AK. Not sure why that is, but it seems silly.

Hiccups and Pixie Dust

Our son started to get sick our third day and by Wednesday night was in really rough shape and had to stay at the hotel while I took our daughter to MK for the evening. At 3 am the next morning he was up complaining of an ear ache, so I googled "Disney urgent care" and was surprised there's not one on property. Booked him an appointment at an urgent care just off property and they got him some antibiotics for an ear and throat infection. He took his first dose and immediately started to feel better, so mom and son joined me and daughter at Hollywood Studios mid-morning. I asked at Guest Services if we could move our morning FPs to the afternoon since they were missing out, and they were nice enough to not only let me and my daughter use our morning FPs (ToT and TSMM) but gave us three extra FPs for the whole park for the afternoon. Great customer service.

A couple more pixie dust moments: CMs at one of the stores giving my daughter a full set of "Mater the Greater" pins when she got excited that she found one while pin trading with them. Another CM at the FoP gift shop literally pulled a pin off the rack and gave it to my daughter when she told her which pin she had been looking for all week.

We also continue to work through frustration with Lost & Found. My son set down his brand new Captain Phasma die-cast action figure in the Mickey/Tink store in Main Street and realized it about 30 seconds after we walked out of the store. We ran back in and it was already gone. I asked the CM at the counter, who told me they had found it and a different CM had immediately walked it over to City Hall. We went over there, and no one could find it. We figured it might take them a while to get it in the Lost/Found bin, so we went back two hours later, but still no luck. They gave me a number for the general Lost/Found office at the TTC, which I called the next morning. Still nothing. Just called this morning. Still nothing.

It would be one thing if it was lost and we were hoping for someone to turn it in, but when the CMs confirmed it was found and now Disney can't locate it, that's pretty frustrating. Having to leave Florida and drive the 9 hours back home without his brand new toy was not a fun way to end the trip for our son (although I've tried to turn it into a teachable moment for him as it was his fault for setting it down in the store).

One other uncomfortable moment involved a CM in Star Wars Launch Bay trying to pressure my son into trading one of his pins. I like to allow my son to speak for himself in situations like this, but the CM was being inappropriately high pressure and I finally had to tell him myself that my son didn't want to trade. In hindsight, I wish I had reported the incident, but we were in a hurry to get to our next FP.

Hope this post isn't too long. Tried to keep it to only in-park observations!

I don’t normally wait 45 in standby let alone FP. I completely agree with you about monsters inc! I absolutely love that show. We’ve gone two years in a row and both times dh and I were shown up on the screen.

We also continue to work through frustration with Lost & Found. My son set down his brand new Captain Phasma die-cast action figure in the Mickey/Tink store in Main Street and realized it about 30 seconds after we walked out of the store. We ran back in and it was already gone. I asked the CM at the counter, who told me they had found it and a different CM had immediately walked it over to City Hall. We went over there, and no one could find it. We figured it might take them a while to get it in the Lost/Found bin, so we went back two hours later, but still no luck. They gave me a number for the general Lost/Found office at the TTC, which I called the next morning. Still nothing. Just called this morning. Still nothing.

It would be one thing if it was lost and we were hoping for someone to turn it in, but when the CMs confirmed it was found and now Disney can't locate it, that's pretty frustrating. Having to leave Florida and drive the 9 hours back home without his brand new toy was not a fun way to end the trip for our son (although I've tried to turn it into a teachable moment for him as it was his fault for setting it down in the store).

Don’t give up hope in Disney’s lost and found. We went in October and didn’t realize till we got home that we were missing our souvenir bag from mnsshp. We were so disappointed since these items were not replaceable being that they were only sold during the parties. I called Disney and just when I had given up hope that they were found- four weeks later I got a card in the mail stating they found items they thought were ours. I called and identified the items and every single thing we had purchased was there. The bag was found at MK- I think one of my kids left it sitting where we watched the parade and we just didn’t think about it that night.

Nice trip report, O.P.

You had some bad luck with the FP lines. We were at WDW for ten days in late October/early November, and our only fairly long FP wait was at TOT, because the ride was running at lower capacity (elevators not working).

I'll go ahead and disagree with the previous poster about to lines. I feel that the more of a ride's capacity is in fp, the longer those lines are going to get, and they are directing so many people to do now... It's not going to get better, at least not until the system implodes and they have to design something else.

I'll go ahead and disagree with the previous poster about to lines. I feel that the more of a ride's capacity is in fp, the longer those lines are going to get, and they are directing so many people to do now... It's not going to get better, at least not until the system implodes and they have to design something else.
I agree with you. I think they give out so many anytime fps to fix their problems that those lines will continue to get longer unless they change something.

This year, around 1-2 pm, the only FPs available were either for the much less popular/kiddie rides, or not available until 5-7 pm, creating a very large window where I was scrambling to find stuff for us to do.

Were the standby lines that bad that you wouldn't wait in line for anything without a FP? Yikes!

As long as you have given them an address to ship the figure to, don't give up yet :) We've gotten a Macbook charger by mail from WDW that my daughter left in our room. It took a few weeks, but we got it!

Were the standby lines that bad that you wouldn't wait in line for anything without a FP? Yikes!

The rides we are willing to ride multiple times were too long (25+ minutes). I don’t like spending my vacation standing in line but we made a few exceptions...once for BTMRR (35 min), once for Rockin Roller Coaster (1 hr) because I had never ridden, and once for FoP (1 hr) because, well, it’s so amazing. Other than that we tried to fill time by going to shows and shops.

Had it not been for EMM and DAH we absolutely would have ridden fewer rides this trip than last year.

Hi- thanks for your nice report!
We have hoppers this time for the first time & were wondering if you could tell me a little more about where/when you chose to use that (any tips?)
Also with the DDP did you use the new cocktail with dinner benefit & where/what did you find you used it to get?

Thanks for the great report. How did you like Wilderness Lodge? We are staying there for the first time this fall and I am super excited.

I don’t normally wait 45 in standby let alone FP. I completely agree with you about monsters inc! I absolutely love that show. We’ve gone two years in a row and both times dh and I were shown up on the screen.

Right?! I habe never waited more than a few minutes in a fast pass line!

Hi- thanks for your nice report!
We have hoppers this time for the first time & were wondering if you could tell me a little more about where/when you chose to use that (any tips?)
Also with the DDP did you use the new cocktail with dinner benefit & where/what did you find you used it to get?

I think park hoppers really depend on your park preferences.

For example, we're not huge EPCOT fans, so we just spent a half day there, then hopped to MK for the evening after our ADR early dinner. We did everything we wanted to do after 1.5 days at HS, so we park hopped that evening with friends to AK to see Pandora at night.

We don't drink, so we didn't use the new cocktail with dinner but all of our servers did an awesome job letting us know about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter