• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just a rant about ungrateful relatives….

Having just bought our first DVC contract this year and having our first trip planned for August 2023, this thread has made me wary of being generous with our points. It seems some people believe what you are offering them has no value, they may feel burdened by the sheer amount of other costs of a WDW vacation, or worse, they have their hand out for you to cover those costs as well. So far the only people we have invited to join us were my in-laws and they quickly declined. I think we will have to think long and hard about inviting anyone else in the future.
OHHHHH since you just got it, set your rules now and stick with them. Disney World will bring out the worst in everyone.

DD went down for the DCP program. She wasn't there a week and had cousins whom she had NO relationship with get her number from a relative and then text her about coming to Orlando to go to parks. Like WHAT? She was basically texting a stranger to get free place to stay and park tickets. I promptly posted on FB for ALL friends and relatives that she can not get them any kind of discounts or freebies. That the minimal discount she can get on tickets isn't worth her time. If they traveled there on their own she might meet them for a meal IF she isn't working. It blew my mind the people who thought she was their free ticket in. I squashed that bug quick.

We have a beach home. We knew what would happen, so day one family meeting was we don't discuss outside a small group, we don't offer up info not even name of complex, we only allow a few people stay (all folks who have done something special for us and a way we can give back). We don't post photos, we keep it very private. We know that if it became a normal part of conversation we'd have all kinds of requests to use it. I mean when we first bought unfortunately DH told a sibling, who called another sibling, who called a relative out west, who called a relative in TX, who called a relative in the midwest who already knew (because I bring them here with me) and they immediately contacted me that practically the whole extended family knew because DH told one person. >:( ALL of these people told wouldn't hesitate to ask to use it.

You have bought something special for your family to have wonderful memories. You don't owe that to anyone else. Be careful about opening that door.

Last edited:
I'd find the GF cash rate on the website and send her a link to book it herself. Ridiculous.

It looks like your dates are still available at GF! It would be $1,452 direct from Disney. You can book it here: You will probably have to move rooms. The booking can't be changed, but it isn't too late to cancel the booking if it doesn't work for you.

This kind of behavior would absolutely have me thinking about canceling the reservation. You have to decide whether it would be worth that much drama, including your parents who know spent a lot on this too.
I agree with this! :thumbsup2 In my experience, some people don't know the cash value of DVC points. We took a few family members to Aulani and while there we looked up how much our 2 bedroom villa would cost in cash. It was $20,000.

I understand your frustration but from her perspective it may be that she thinks it is FREE to you. Therefore, I would kindly educate her on your investment, dues, how you now can't go as often or as long this year, etc. Then

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter