• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just a question regarding wedding etiquette and gifts.

JDMasso

Mouseketeer
Just a question regarding wedding etiquette and gifts. Immediately following the wedding, my new husband and I will be moving cross country to California. I definitely do not want any gifts (such as China, or linens, etc.), since it would be impractical for us to move all these boxes in addition to everything else we will be moving. So how do I let my guests know that if they are going to give us a gift, that it be in the form of money or gift cards and/or certificates? Has anyone had this issue before?

Thanks! :thumbsup2

Well, technically, it's considered poor etiquette to request money although I'm sure that rumor could be floated by someone in your family perhaps?

You can also register for gift cards, I believe. Check out many of the online bridal registries...I'm sure I've seen a few people register for them.

Good luck!

Even if you received any items you don't want. simply go return them for store credit or cash. that's if you know where the item came from, so hopefully they will give you a gift receipt. some stores accepts returns without receipt too.

If you don't have any wedding registry, chances are people will just give giftcards to where they think you shop.

We are registered at 3 places and each one said "would you be willing to accept gift cards" at the top of our registry form. We checked yes and they are at the top of our list online now.
My advice is to make sure that the mothers and MOH know about this request of yours. That way when someone contacts them to ask where you are registered they can let them know about the situation. It's a lot better than the bride saying it!

I just came across that problem, I moved from NY to TX. Luckily my Mom, BM's were advised & told everyone for my shower. Most people gave a small gift & a gift card. It definately made the move easier.

Thank you for responding. I may just let my immediate family and BM advise guests if they ask, about my move. I will also look into registering for gift cards, that way, I'll just buy what I need in California :sunny:

Thanks everyone!!!!

oh, just a thought, tax in CA should b a lot higher than where you are right now :)
8.5% is the avg. compared to 6.5~7%ish in FL.

you can spread youre gift preference through word of mouth but its considered poor etiquette like kryssi said to ask or print to guests cash or gift cards only. be appreciative for the gifts you receive. worse comes to worse you can return the gifts for cash or credit when you get home. we received some gifts at our wedding from oot family that didnt attend the shower but the majority was just cash & checks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter