• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just a Pinch.. Post for the women here

Oh geez. I’m happy I found this older thread. My GYN is recommending a biopsy (didnt think to ask of what) and Mirena IUD insertion next month. I really really love my doc. I asked about sedation, based on the tik tok videos and he said I would be absolutely fine. Now I’m wondering if I should “pre-game” for the procedures
:furious:Absolutely fine as in, sure, you probably won't die, and you're likely well-behaved enough not to make a major scene. Beyond that - it's going to hurt like hell. This very common disregard of women's pain is simply infuriating to me. Read and re-read this post (and join me in commiserating with @Disney Ella :sad1: )
I wish I had seen this thread when it was first posted. A few months later, I had a hysteroscopy and biopsy of a uterine polyp. The procedure was described as minor and pain wasn't even mentioned. No one told me to bring someone to drive me home, but luckily I brought my husband with me.

I did read that hysteroscopies could be uncomfortable, but nothing I read prepared me for the experience. The procedure was excruciatingly painful. There were no numbing injections or anesthesia used or offered. Immediately afterward, everyone left the room, and I was told to get dressed. As soon as I got up, I felt like I was going to pass out. I sat on the floor for 10 minutes until someone came in, and that was only because they needed to get the room ready for another patient. There was no way I could have driven myself home.

According to the research I did afterward, 30 to 40% of women experience intense pain after hysteroscopies and IUD insertions, while many others experience moderate pain. Post-menopausal women (like me) are more likely to experience severe pain. This information is known, yet women are expected to suffer unnecessarily when pain control options are available.

The experience destroyed the trust between my doctor and me. How can you be an advocate for your patient when you don't provide accurate information about procedures and aren't willing to manage pain during a procedure?

This is some really good information. My new GYN IS a female and she's doing this while I'm under sedation. She said because I'm post-menopause, it would be very uncomfortable and painful.

Good for her for being honest.

My day is this coming Tuesday. I'll let yall know how it goes.

This is some really good information. My new GYN IS a female and she's doing this while I'm under sedation. She said because I'm post-menopause, it would be very uncomfortable and painful.

Good for her for being honest.

My day is this coming Tuesday. I'll let yall know how it goes.
Wishing you the best of luck. So happy you found such an understanding doctor

I am so happy that this thread resurfaced. I have spent the weekend on Dr. google and it has been very stressful. I have an ultrasound this morning but I am sure that I will have a biopsy as well. I am of course kicking myself that I did not call sooner when all this started but I was sure it was just the beginning of menopause until May 23rd when things really started to ramp up there. I have always had heavy periods so again I thought nothing of it. Of course Dr. Google has told me that I have every risk factor for uterine cancer - fat, early onset of period, high blood pressure and prediabetic. I am apparently doomed.

I am so happy that this thread resurfaced. I have spent the weekend on Dr. google and it has been very stressful. I have an ultrasound this morning but I am sure that I will have a biopsy as well. I am of course kicking myself that I did not call sooner when all this started but I was sure it was just the beginning of menopause until May 23rd when things really started to ramp up there. I have always had heavy periods so again I thought nothing of it. Of course Dr. Google has told me that I have every risk factor for uterine cancer - fat, early onset of period, high blood pressure and prediabetic. I am apparently doomed.
Thinking positive thoughts for you today!

Consulting Dr. Google never goes well. I have learned to stay away from it! Perimenopause does a number to hormones which can mimic all sorts of things. I have heavy periods too and fibroids. Try not to worry and I'm sending positive vibes your way!!!

I have all of the exact same “factors” as you. Never once has my doctor mentioned uterine cancer. Wishing you an excellent result to all testing

Thank you for the good wishes. My ultra sound did reveal a fibroid and some thickened endometrium so a biopsy was done. I had prepared myself for that and am glad I did it so I can know for sure that there are no precancerous cells hanging out. I had a great conversation with the Doctor about options because this has become a quality of life issue for me. Wearing depends with overnight pads for 70 days is not ok. He offered drugs/IUD but was truthful that those probably would not work. He also offered endometrial ablation but again said that it would not lower my risks in terms of cancer developing one day. He reminded me that my mother dying from colon cancer at 48 was a huge red flag as well (I have had precancerous polyps removed in 3 out of my 4 colonoscopies). I was the one who brought up a hysterectomy and he was supportive. I am choosing to have one on August 2nd of course that is all dependent on the results of the biopsy and that I get my iron levels up. He was quite impressed on how well I am functioning with my iron numbers being so low. I plan to keep my ovaries if they look good since he said I am probably still 2 years away from menopause.

So I know that this is a message board but I sincerely appreciate all the advice and opinions that are given on here.

Have a wonderful day.

Thank you for the good wishes. My ultra sound did reveal a fibroid and some thickened endometrium so a biopsy was done. I had prepared myself for that and am glad I did it so I can know for sure that there are no precancerous cells hanging out. I had a great conversation with the Doctor about options because this has become a quality of life issue for me. Wearing depends with overnight pads for 70 days is not ok. He offered drugs/IUD but was truthful that those probably would not work. He also offered endometrial ablation but again said that it would not lower my risks in terms of cancer developing one day. He reminded me that my mother dying from colon cancer at 48 was a huge red flag as well (I have had precancerous polyps removed in 3 out of my 4 colonoscopies). I was the one who brought up a hysterectomy and he was supportive. I am choosing to have one on August 2nd of course that is all dependent on the results of the biopsy and that I get my iron levels up. He was quite impressed on how well I am functioning with my iron numbers being so low. I plan to keep my ovaries if they look good since he said I am probably still 2 years away from menopause.

So I know that this is a message board but I sincerely appreciate all the advice and opinions that are given on here.

Have a wonderful day.
That's a lot to handle. I will be keeping you in my thoughts.

Okay, I'm back. I had the D&C biopsy yesterday at 4pm, but goodNESS did it take a while to take me back...it was almost 6pm! The nurse gave me a numbing shot before putting in the IV and honestly, I did not feel the IV go in. First time for that.
Because it was late afternoon and I had to stop drinking fluids 3 hrs before, my veins were like "Nope." Finally got it itn.

They did not do any stirrup contorsions until I was already out. Just a mask over my face and I was out. I woke and was definitely feeling pain and cramps and she gave me fentenyl. Headed home later with a pad and had some bleeding that night but not much.

I took advil and an extra strength tylenol this morning and I'm feeling absolutely fine and the bleeding has all but stopped.

SO glad I did this while asleep. My insurance approved it. I'll hear back in a couple of days.

I got this attitude from doc and nurses at a previous obgyn. I fired them post haste and found a new provider who's better. I hope more women refuse to settle for bad treatment or condescending attitudes...too many other providers around.

I will say I haven't found a male obgyn that listened, treated me or respected me as well as female docs. That's totally anecdotal, I know - as previous posters have experienced the same problems from female providers. . Just my personal experience that I did notice some difference.

Another difference was that both gyn females I liked were DOs vs MDs. DOs are equally credentialed to practice medicine, but their training is a bit more holistic/whole body geared - I think that makes a difference.
That's really sad because all of the male OBs I've seen have been wonderful. My first emergency C-section was traumatic because of how the on-call female OB handled it. I was under the care of a Certified Nurse Midwife and had to be passed to the only available OB on the floor. During my second pregnancy, I was under the care of the senior OB at my practice because I wanted to try for a VBAC and he had one of the highest success rates in the city. He was a kind, grandfatherly figure who really listened when I told him how traumatic the previous delivery had been and how it caused me to have PPD. He held my hands, looked me in the eyes, and promised that it would never happen like that with him in charge. I felt safe and cared for. He insisted that I bring my baby to the postpartum appointments and the office staff passed my son around during my appointment. I was so sad when he retired.

While I've seen some fabulous female midwives and OBs, the only painful pap smear was performed by a woman. Her general poor attitude and condescending demeanor put me on edge so I clenched when I shouldn't have. She wasn't gentle which didn't help. One of my favorite male OBs knew I was a librarian so he talked books with me during the procedure. He was so deft I didn't even notice when he'd finished.

Reactions: shh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter