• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just a monthly update...

minicoopercraig

DIS Veteran
Again. Sorry, I've been kinda busy with personal issues. Most, if not all, of which I will now share here. And these are the reasons I was absentee for a while this time.

First off, I had my LASIK surgery on the 10th of December, everything went "perfect" (to quote my doctor.). I now officially have 20/15 vision in my left eye and 20/20 vision in my right. A week after the surgery though my right eye went a little blurry (I think it's going on strike, more to come on that later.) So I go to the doctor and he told me that the only reason I'm noticing this is because I'm doing the at home comparison of my eyes. You know, where you close one eye, then the other and see which one's better. Only I've been doing it for two days almost constantly all day. he asked if I did it before the surgery, I said no, so he told me not to do it after the surgery. ;-) I was being bad. LOL.
Then Christmas Shopping came. To make up for my DP buying me my new set of eyes for Christmas, I had to get him 14 of the 30 gifts off his list including: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (Complete Series DVD), The Flintstones (Complete Series DVD), two Criterion Collection DVD's, an Organic Hoodie from Nordstrom, and 9 more things. So I was busy trying to wrap them before he got home and when he went to the store, and anytime he wasn't around. LOL.
Then something "bad" happened.

Christmas Eve morning, I woke up and my left eye felt like it was swollen, nothing to panic about, just thought it was because I slept on it wrong. Then as the day progressed, my upper lip joined in on the party and decided not to function completely (I couldn't put lip balm on without effort). I thought I had gotten a bug bite or it was a side effect of the LASIK, I didn't know, and it was just annoying, nothing painful. Then Christmas Day came along, I woke up and my I had to make an effort to actually blink my right eye..Hmmm..curious this wasn't like this yesterday, so I got a bit concerned. Then while making Christmas Dinner, the right side of my lips went numb. Okay, that's really not good, then my right nostril, all of the teeth on my right side, the right side of my tounge, and finally my right ear all went numb (I think my right eye is forming a Royal Coupe to be a seperate state, just my opinion now. LOL. Wasn't then though.). I was panic ridden. All the thoughts went through my head: "OMG! Did I have a stroke?!" "Am I having a adverse reaction to my medication for dry eye syndrome?! (Restasis if anyone didn't know.)" "Is this an infection somewhere on my face?!"
You know, all the questions you have when you go into a panic. It was so bad at one point, my DP had to help prepare the main dish for dinner (which has NEVER happened when I start a meal, I'm the only one to finish it. It's how I cook.) and then we ate, opened gifts, and when I got some gifts I really liked (his brother got me my own Top Chef chef's jacket with my name embroidered on it [a favorite BTW].) When I put it on, I couldn't smile out the right side of my face, so I put my head down and nodded that I liked it. I was in tears because I didn't want anyone to see what was going on, and it was like that all night. The next morning, my DP was concerned and called my Opthamologist's office, he wasn't in, but there was someone from his office who was, and I could see him at 11, so we go there, they examine me, and the verdict before a Physician can see me?!......I have Bell's Palsy and that it didn't have anything to do with the LASIK surgery.

I broke down in tears, no one ever wants to hear the word "Palsy" in a sentence after you've just got your face back from 22 years of behind frames. They sent me down to the ER and had a doctor look at me, as soon as he walked in and I said Hi, he turned around and said to the attending resident, or whoever was out in the hall: "Oh yeah, that's Bell's Palsy if I ever saw it." He then explained that since we live in PA that he's 99% certain that's what it is, however if we were living in CT or MN he would be running tests for Lyme's Desease. (I think I would have seen a tick on me somewhere in the shower. LOL.) And he then says that I have a mild case, it IS temporary, and that it should clear up. They don't know what the main cause is, they don't have a cure for it, and the recovery can range from weeks to months. And that since mine is mild, it should only be weeks. They gave a prescription and sent me on my half-a-face merry way. LOL.
DP did some research and found out that one of the thoughts behind Bell's Palsy cause is a virus that takes 2 weeks to manifest, or whatever, and it was a SEVERE coinsidence that my surgery for LASIK was EXACTLY 2 weeks prior to the right side of my face going on strike. Hmmm...I dunno.

Anywho, so that's what I've been up to. Dealing with that has left me a bit drained, so unless you have my Facebook profile friended, I might not be responding too much on here. I hope all understand and I hope everyone had a Merry Holiday and a Happy Christmas! LOL.

That's all, that's it. Anything else and I would have taken out a newspaper article. :laughing:

You have been through a lot... I do hope it is temporary and you will be fine and seeing perfectly.....take care.

:hug: Craig! You sound like you need another trip to Disney to relax... ;)

My aunt had Bells Palsy last year, and she thought she was having a stroke too. It cleared up within a month and everything was back to normal (well, as normal as any of my family members ever get :rotfl: )

I had Bell's Palsy once, too. Several years ago.

Same reaction you had. "Did I have a stroke, am I dying? OMG!"

It cleared up after only about two weeks.

We found a picture that was taken of me during that time. I've got this half-smile "Mona Lisa" look on my face. :lmao:

Wow, that would have been terrifying! I'm very happy to hear that it's a temporary virus. :thumbsup2 Isn't it funny how our minds always go to the worst possible scenario? Every time I have a weird symptom I think "CANCER!" :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Glad your prognosis is good -- all the bad stuff stays in 2008!!

Wow, Craig...what a scary experience. I'll be thinking of you and hoping you recover swiftly.

Craig, Sorry to hear of your challenges of late. Thank goodness you have your Prince to be there for you! DP IS Disney Prince right? :love:

:hug: Geez!

Thanks for coming back and filling us all in. Of course we're all wishing you a speedy recovery....

:grouphug:

Hope you are feeling better soon Craig!! :flower3: :hug: Congrats on the LASIK surgery though....I bet it will be WONDERFUL when you can finally enjoy it! :goodvibes I hope to get LASIK surgery done one day...I HATE wearing my glasses/contacts.

Thank you all for your good wishes. I really needed them to help through the diagnosis. Albeit temporary, it's still embarrassing (to me) and draws the occasional looks at the restaurants, it's still annoying. I'm into the 2nd week of it and I'm getting some function back in my right cheek, I can semi-smirk, actually it's a semi-semi-semi-smirk almost a dimple appearance. LOL. Just thought I'd drop an update again. LOL.

Wow. You've surely had some tough things thrown your way lately.

Sounds like you are rapidly improving though and that is a very good thing!

Take care and thanks for the updates!!! Keep us posted, ok?

Well wishes to you Mr. Mini :hug:
How's It going?
Are you on the mend... progress?

Hope you're felling better now.
:flower3:

Eek. I had Lasik done a few years back and while the vision in my right eye isn't perfect, the other eye seems to compensate for it. I hope you get better very soon.

Wow! I had no idea what it even was! I hope you are feeling better! It does sound like you had a good christmas in spite of everything else!! (I love the top chef jacket! ) :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter