Just a little rainy solo trip....

I was going to be changing resorts today so I took a day off from the parks. I slept until 8 and then spent a good hour packing. I was trying to do it so I wouldn't have to unpack everything in the next room but maybe get by with just my backpack. After 45 minutes it became clear I had no clue what I was doing so I just tossed it all together! I blame this on the fact I skipped the coffee since I was going to be heading to Kona Cafe for breakfast.

I dropped the bags off at bell services and took the bus to Magic Kingdom, then caught the monorail to the Poly. I was early so I walked around a bit. Still lots of construction. I think that is why I did not take any pictures. I really miss the fountain in the lobby. Not only was it pretty in its own right but it always reminded me of some of the all inclusive resorts I have stayed at in Mexico.

I have always wanted to try breakfast at Kona but am usually to eager to get to the parks in the am to normally do it. Plus the fact no one else has ever wanted to do ANY sit down meals. Today was my scheduled relax day so it finally worked. I did make this reservation at 180 days out but kept moving the time right up until 30 days out. Even then I kept checking and it would still have been easy to move it or get one. Of course I wanted a later time so that helps. It was 10:30. I already knew what I was ordering for breakfast.....Macadamia Pineapple pancakes! And coffee!

It was good but I don't think I will rave over it. I was hungry though so I ate it all. I had wanted the French Press coffee but with just myself I thought that was too much coffee, which I would feel compelled to drink, and then I would be visiting every restroom I could find. As it was I stopped at the Grand Floridian next and used one. I really have started to lack enthusiasm in my picture taking as I used to take photos of EVERY public restroom I used. My mom says as a little girl I always wanted to use public restrooms too :rotfl: Anyway I did sit in the lobby of the Grand Floridian for a good half hour just people watching and soaking up the atmosphere and scent.

Since I had the entire day I decided to take the monorail back to the TTC and then ride the ferry back to Magic Kingdom. I had never ridden the ferry before. It is pretty cool seeing the castle as you turn the bend. I was starting to feel ill though, I think the heat and my tiredness plus a full tummy of pancakes! I think that is why I didn't take any pictures. Once I got to the bus lines I took the Music bus as it came first. And I like to walk through Music. Of course the Movies bus pulled up just as we started moving. Then the rain started just as I got off at Music. The heavy poncho had to get tossed as after a straight 5 hours in it last night and on the rides the hood and a good foot off the back tore off. But I had my handy umbrella. I got my bags and a taxi to Port Orleans Riverside and was checking in at 1:15. I got my high floor, corner room, Alligator Bayou and my building request plus it was not raining right when I checked in so I was able to walk my luggage over without getting wet.

And yeah for the coffee fixings. Coffee at night, coffee in morning, coffee anytime I want!!!!!

I started to unpack and the the sky decided to open up. It started to POUR now. It was kind of cozy being in my new room and the rain sound outside. I also spent time trying to unpack better than I packed but once again I just gave up and unpacked most of it! The rain became more of just a drizzle and by 2:30 I decided I could use something to munch on. So I grabbed my umbrella and strolled on down to Port Orleans French Quarter for some beignets. I left camera and phone in room. It was a quiet pleasant stroll. The rain let up once I got down to POFQ and I was able to eat outside. I also checked out the gift shop here. Alas the rain started again on my walk back. Just slightly more than sprinkling though. I stopped in the POR giftshop and got my big can of coffee and also a couple of bagged candies for my leftover snack credits. Then I stopped in the lounge for a margarita which I took back to the room.

The sun started to come out as I got close to the room so I changed into my swimsuit and headed to the hot tub. I spent about 15 minutes in there before everyone realized the sun was out and the tub got crowded. It was long enough for me anyhow. I then got another drink at the pool bar. It was an Island Moonshine. When I ordered it a couple of twentysomething girls, who said they were going to try every drink on the menu, asked the bartender if he liked that one. He said it was very coco nutty so if you did not like coconut (which he does not) you would not like it. Well I LOVE coconut so it was awesome in my opinion. I took it on over to one of the quiet pools close to my room and lucked out in that only 3 older kids were in there along with the parents to keep them in line. I spent an hour soaking up the sun.

At about 5 I headed up to clean up and go cash in my last meal credit. I got the create your own pasta but I made a mistake by getting the pesto sauce. I love pesto but this was way too oily. I only ate half of it and half of the red velvet cake which was dry. I did eat all the bread though.

I did grab coffee in the food court because I wanted to save the packages in my room for the am. I can drink coffee at night and still sleep well, if I don't have to get up for the bathroom. It was still early (7) so I found some TV to watch, which is unusual for me on vacation...I hadn't even turned on the TV at all back at Movies. I watched NCIS:New Orleans which I thought was appropriate given I was staying at Port Orleans! Then I was asleep just after 9 and I did sleep like a baby!

Oh how nice it is to have coffee in the room!!! Still, I left the room twice and came back twice for items I forgot so there went any time and energy saved.

I was heading to MK to start today. It took quite a while for a bus to come and in the meantime every other bus came at least once. It was maybe 25 minutes of waiting. Since I was at the second stop I did get a seat, but by the last stop at POR we were definately packed. Then the bus driver said we just needed to go to POFQ. Everybody groaned but he did say he was joking. Those funny bus drivers. :rotfl2: And we actually got to the park before the opening show, I didn't realize I was that early!

The rain had come and gone all morning but it turned into a steady rain as the show came to an end. I cut through the mercantile stores and Casey's Corner to try to stay dry. I wanted to ride Jungle Cruise one more time so that was my first ride. The seat was wet and as I was the last one in the boat was taking off so I could not wipe it off so I started my day off with a wet seat myself! That was fine as I headed to BTMRR next and those seats were wet too. The rain had stopped again so I would have had a nice ride if it wasn't for the fact I was in the front seat. Worst seat on BTMRR. And the worse thing was it was just a CM with a chip on his shoulder. There was no line and only 4 others on my train but he said I had to sit in front.

Splash Mountain was next. The lines still were not building so our log got to ride twice :goodvibes At least I thought until on the drop I got completely soaked, even with my (cheap) poncho on. The water went in through the arm openings and the neck opening! Then the rain started, again, once I got off. But I had to try BTMRR once more and this time I did get the last seat but the rain made it not so much fun so I headed back to Splash. And I got front seat here (on Splash front is good, actually BTMRR is the only ride front=bad and back=good). But this ride wasn't pleasant. The family behind me was the parents and 5 yr son. They had been divided by the CM directing loading but they saw a family of three get out of the boat we were heading on to. They asked the CM there if they could all ride together. She said if they want to they could. OK, I am not thin so I am not judging these people, but they were not thin either (though probably thinner than me). I could not see that working. They did get in but it was tight and that was all I heard from the parents the whole way. The kid never complained but the whole ride the parents kept saying how miserable they were and how the kid of course could not see anything. I understand making a mistake and being upset but they were loud about it.

I then started to head over to Tomorrowland when I saw someone with a Dole float. I still had never got one so I cut through to Aloha Aisle and got mine. Cool rainy morning meant no line.

I then stepped back to Frontierland and saw Chip & Dale in their western outfits. I knew my friend would go crazy if I got my picture with them as this is the only outfit she lacks in her Chip & Dale photo collection. But honestly I looked sooo bad. Soaking wet clothes and hair. Of course this was how I looked most of the trip but I just did not need any visual evidence of it.

I made my way to Monsters INC. for some time out of the rain. Funny as always. Then to Carousel of Progress also out of the rain. The rain had stopped by the time I got out of there and so I went to People Mover to be my last ride in MK. Just as I got there the line stopped going up the ramp. The CM did not know what was going on. We waited at least 10 minutes while other CM's headed both up and down the ramps. Finally they did announce it was down with no time estimate given. I did not know whether to be upset I couldn't ride it one last time or glad that I wasn't stuck on it as I did want to be over to EPCOT soon. On the way out I went through the stores and saw this blanket. I really wanted it but thought a picture would have to suffice. Same for the shirt photo.

Then I looked at the posters on the walls on my way out of the park. I loved this one.

So I headed out to the monorail. I worry about getting stuck on that too, probably more so than the rides, but so far so good.

It was starting to sprinkle again as I got to the restrooms at Spaceship Earth. I used the restroom and when I came out it was a downpour. I stood in the shelter a bit but did decide I was still wet anyway so I headed over to Ellen as I still needed to catch the whole opening show. As I passed throught the breezeway by MouseGears I got to see the JAMMitors again. A different skit than the last one I saw so entertaining again. When I got to Ellen the rain stopped and sun came out. After watching the show I headed over to the Festival Tent to get my drinking chocolate.

Then I got a whim to ride Test Track again. 10 minutes in single rider. And as soon as I got off the rain started again. I stopped into Club Cool and got a drink of each flavor. Yep even the Beverly.

Then I took the boat this time over to Hollywood Studios. It wasn't a long wait and by now I was just to tired to keep walking especially in the rain. Which turned into the worst downpour of my trip once the boat got to HS. Literally it was sheets of rain. But I just put my poncho back on and trudged on in. This was my last park of the trip and I was not going to give in. After a long pit stop (darn wet poncho) I headed off to Tower. It was still running (no lightening today) and then had to pull off the poncho. There was really no wait so I rode twice. After that the rain was letting up again. I was getting hungry as it was now about 3:00. I headed to the Hollywood Lounge but they were just closing. No more food was being served but I could still get drinks. I wasn't going to say no to a drink so I ordered the margarita flight.

The poor bartender was having a time of it as hid Magic Band reader was not working, which didn't bother me and I chose to use a credit card but then the paper got stuck in that machine. He just got my slip out. The next people only had the choice of cash. Which teaches us to still carry all forms of payment. Of course I work retail so I know that but it amazes me how many people get upset at the poor person behind the counter when technology fails.

I moved on to find food but deviated at the Great Movie Ride. It was a 20 minute ride which I thought might be the least I see it for so I got in line. This time I got the Old West Robber so I am glad I saw both versions. And as you exit you walk right by a pretzel stand so I got my food too! A cream chees pretzel fills the tummy pretty well. Another plus was the rain had stopped and it stayed away for the rest of the night.

I had my Star Tours FP+ now. Then I watched Muppet Vision again. Then it was Toy Story FP+ time. This time I got 162,000 but it was not the highest in the vehicle. I had to take a picture of this shirt as Mom says I have angry eyes.

Then it was Tower FP+ time but a I actually rode standby first then FP+. I had never noticed the cool effect of the sign before.

Then I left the park feeling content. I had done all I wanted to really. Only if the weather had been nicer could I have enjoyed myself more. It really had been a fun trip as I look back. Back at the resort I hopped int the hot tub. Shoved my way in would be a better description as it was so packed. I then got a Long Island Iced Tea and headed to my room where I ate granola bars for dinner and watched Nashville then had the best sleep of my trip!

Reading along, sorry to hear about all the rain, but so glad you kept touring and doing what you wanted to do. When we were there people mover kept breaking down and had a long line. We had never seen this it was recent in November so not sure if something is different but it was not like it use to be, we only got to ride once because of this.

Enjoying hearing about your trip. We were there around the same time, staying at Pop, 9/25 to 10/2. It was crazy how much rain there was, wasn't it? Glad you had a good time, I would love to do a solo trip someday

Reading along, sorry to hear about all the rain, but so glad you kept touring and doing what you wanted to do. When we were there people mover kept breaking down and had a long line. We had never seen this it was recent in November so not sure if something is different but it was not like it use to be, we only got to ride once because of this.

I've actually seen it down at least once almost every day I've ever been (15 days so not a lot!) so not a shocker for me but it was disappointing not to have my last ride on it.

Enjoying hearing about your trip. We were there around the same time, staying at Pop, 9/25 to 10/2. It was crazy how much rain there was, wasn't it? Glad you had a good time, I would love to do a solo trip someday

I actually had started to read your TR the other day but got pulled away by work. I was interested in how other people faired in all the rain. Most everyone I ran into were making the best of it :beach:

Thanks for sharing your report.

I think the solo trips make for the best reports. I look forward to hearing more.

I finally slept in! My ME trip back was at 10:30 so not really enough time to do anything anyway. I was over the idea of packing "correctly" so I just threw it all into the bags, liquids in checked bag of course! I had thoughts of hopping in the pool or hot tub but did not want to deal with the wet swimsuit not did I want to have to take another shower. It was a lovely morning though. All blue skies....finally as I am leaving :sad2: . So i just took the time to walk around the resort and take some pictures.

I probably wouldn't HATE staying on the mansion side but I don't think I would enjoy it as much.

I went to check in at the resort airline check in counter at 10:10. I was the only one there and waiting for the girl working there to finish her conversation with another worker. She turned to me and said "What do you want?" in a demanding tone. Um, to check in since this is the check in desk. I will say she got much nicer throughout the process so I just will chalk it up to bad timing. I was a little early so I did have a bit of a wait. Watching people just arriving was actually nice because it was a nice day and everyone was happy to get there. I personally was ready to head home so all was good. I like that POR gets picked up first on the return to the airport (at least the two times I have stayed there) that way you can get a good seat. I called Mom once I was on the bus to let her know I was officially on my way. She was still getting ready to leave the house to come meet me at the hotel that night.

I stopped at the Disney store in the terminal for about 10 minutes to get my aunt something. Then I headed through security which wasn't too long of a wait. I ALWAYS have to be wanded after going through the x-ray so I just automatically moved to the side when the lady working security said I did not need it. I was shocked and so was she and also another security guy as my capris had at least a dozen metal buttons on them! But whatever. So then I stopped to get the chocolate covered coconut candies my family loves. That took maybe 5 minutes. Then the bathroom. Then Starbucks which had no line when I went. By then it was about 20 minutes before boarding time. So not too bad. The agents were announcing that they could use two people to opt to take another flight as this one was overbooked. They would guarantee a seat on the next flight plus up to $300 on one future flight. I thought about it scince I was solo and spending the night already in Denver. But I did want to get home and since most flights I take are under $150 it wasn't that great a deal. Once I got on the plane I found out they had originally needed 4 people to move flights! It was an ok flight. I used my two drink coupons on Chardonnay again. Then I had to use the restroom but couldn't because of turbulence. But I made it to the airport without being too uncomfortable. I collected my bag and just missed the hotel shuttle so had to wait 20 minutes for the next one. There was lady in her 60's who was travelling from California to visit her son in North Carolina or Georgia, I can't remember now but know it was one of those. She said her flight was cancelled for today because of mechanical issues and the airline had her rebooked tomorrow morning on a 7am flight. She said a whole wedding party was on the same flight as her and they were nervous if they would make it in time. I then was really glad I stayed on my flight. It was 5:30pm Denver time so at least everyone would get enough time to get a good sleep.

So one of the reasons I really wanted to spend the night before heading back up to the mountains (besides the altitude issue) was to eat the waffle fry nachos I'd gotten back in the spring but could not enjoy because my aunt frowns on what I eat. Well the restaurant no longer carried them :sad1: But I settled on some turkey sliders which were VERY good too so it wasn't so bad. No pictures sorry. I was glad to be back home (at least close to it).

Just some final thoughts on FP+ and Magic Bands: As a solo FP+ worked quite well but I can see it being a pain for any group over four people and especially under different reservations. I had only one problem with my Magic Band when it did not scan at a QS counter. The guy working there just had me take it off and he manually entered the numbers on the back. On my way out of the park I checked it at guest services and she said it no longer scanned so I could get a generic (no name on it) grey band there or get a grey one with my name on it at the resort. Since I actually had three bands already with me (one from a trial last year and the other two because of the split stay) I just thought I would try another one the next time. But actually the one I had issues with started to work again. Which I was really glad about because it was the orange one and went with more of my outfits!! I personally loved the bands.

If I haven't mentioned it yet , I did book a bounce back for free dining next fall at POP. It might wind up being another solo, it might be a stop before a cruise, or it might get cancelled, but I hated to leave without an option for next year because I still LOVE WDW :yay:

Well, that's it. Thanks for reading :goodvibes

Finally had a chance to catch back up.
That was a lot of rain, but at least you maind the best of it.
How long was the walk from POR to POFQ? I wanted to check it out last spring but time was not on my side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter