Junk Mail -

Recycle-unopened. Except for the stuff marked "Return to sender", which I sometimes do when I've received my third solicitation in a week from someone wanting to sell me a hearing aid.

I recycle the parts that don't have my name/address on it..those parts get shredded. So usually I have to open it to get the parts that have my name/address unless it's just one of those fliers.

Most goes into the recycling bin unopened. Anything from a credit card company or something that has my/DH's name or info goes into the shredding pile. Every once in a while I will shred stuff right into the recycling container. That thing hold 200 gallons and gets dumped into a huge truck so I feel pretty good about it being dispersed.

Rip it up and recycle if it's truly junk mail; shred and trash if it is a credit card application or related.

I rip it up unopened. It never even makes it into my house. Mailbox --> garage trash can.

Unaddressed junk goes right into the recycle bin, stuff with name and address goes in the fire box for burning! In the summer I take it to work and put it in the shredding bins.

Burner barrel.
My best friend does that..burns all the trash. I don't remember if it's because trash service doesn't go to her house (which is on a county road in the country) or if it's just too expensive to get at her house because of where she is located. I know I've seen houses probably 5 mins driving time from her house with trash service but still not sure what her reason was.

I've been on a purge around our house lately. I have always shredded junk mail with personal information. But we had bags and boxes of old bills, health insurance information, etc I wanted to get rid of (most was many years old). I would have been forever shredding it all. So I boxed it into fairly small boxes and burned one box at a time in the fireplace until it was all gone. Easy peasy.

There is a great company and app that works to get rid of your junk mail. It's called paperkarma. You take a picture of the letters return address and then they work to get your name off that companies mailing list. We started using it a year ago and it took about 2 months before we saw a difference. Now we don't get any direct junk mail (they can't do much about the ones that go to every single house like grocery store mailers). We seriously went from a daily stuffed mailbox to only checking the mail every two weeks.

There is a great company and app that works to get rid of your junk mail. It's called paperkarma. You take a picture of the letters return address and then they work to get your name off that companies mailing list. We started using it a year ago and it took about 2 months before we saw a difference. Now we don't get any direct junk mail (they can't do much about the ones that go to every single house like grocery store mailers). We seriously went from a daily stuffed mailbox to only checking the mail every two weeks.
Ooohhh thank you for the information. I'll have to look into that :)

My best friend does that..burns all the trash. I don't remember if it's because trash service doesn't go to her house (which is on a county road in the country) or if it's just too expensive to get at her house because of where she is located. I know I've seen houses probably 5 mins driving time from her house with trash service but still not sure what her reason was.

We live out of town, pretty rural. We do have trash service, we only get two bags allowed, every two weeks, and we have two households here, so we burn anything that's paper. Rest gets picked up. I also just don't like to put any receipts, statements, mail or other paperwork in the trash, so I burn it.

We live out of town, pretty rural. We do have trash service, we only get two bags allowed, every two weeks, and we have two households here, so we burn anything that's paper. Rest gets picked up. I also just don't like to put any receipts, statements, mail or other paperwork in the trash, so I burn it.
That all makes sense you're working with what you've got :D

Trash for us is picked up weekly, recycling bi-weekly however the city I live in does the their own trash/recycling service (which is why they chose to only pick up recycling every two weeks) versus just about everywhere else in our metro area (as least on my side of the state line) contracts the work to several available companies. When we lived in our rental house we used one of the two companies available and they picked up trash and recycling weekly however if you had more trash than fit in the large rolling containers then you had to put an excess bag sticker on it and you had to pay for that sticker (that policy could have changed). For our city services there is no limit which my neighbors def. make usage out of that :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter