Juneteenth set to become a federal holiday in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
My town is having a parade tomorrow, followed by a music and food festival. (It was all planned before the official holiday, obviously - can't pull together a festival in 48 hours :-)

Not in real life. But that reminds me of Meghan Markle’s TV show Suits. Office manager Donna arranged MM’s character Rachael’s elaborate wedding in less than 24 hours. When asked how she did it, she replied “I’m Donna.”

I get what you are saying. But at the same time for it to be inclusive, both sides have to feel it relates to them. This can’t be seen as a republican or democrat only holiday. This is a holiday about one of the great things the Civil War achieved and a goal that came to be through efforts of blacks, whites, and other ethnicities who fought for freedom. It should not be seen strictly as a black centric holiday. We all are American and have a right to celebrate the end of slavery which both blacks and whites fought for. So let’s respect each other please. 🙏
I’m a white man who sees no issue with the name. However, Juneteenth can have two respectable names as well if it’s easier for someone to comprehend. Example, Veterans Day is also known as Armistice Day. That is not white privilege, that is trying to get the meaning of a day easily across. Please don’t think I’m attacking your position, I respect it. I’m just trying to show you another way to look at it.:-) Thoughts?

Which "both sides" are you talking about?

I've got no problem with it. I'm just annoyed that almost every year I have to fight with a judge about not being in court on Rosh Hashana or Yom Kippur.

I'm not Jewish, but I agree with you on this. It's crazy that only Christians get holidays off. An easy way to address this would be to give 2 floating days for religious holidays, and let people decide whether they want to take them for Christmas, Eid, Yom Kippur, etc.

Even in the late 1970s history/social studies wasn’t a required subject in my high school. It was strongly recommended, of course, especially for those on the college track. I took the subject three years, skipping sophomore year.

Juneteenth was unheard of in my area. I first learned of it about 6-7 years ago.

Someone upthread mentioned having another federal holiday so close to July 4. I hope they don’t “Presidents Day” it and combine the two into some type of “Freedom Day.” Or “Mondayize” it to the closest Monday to June 19.

They will definitely "Mondayize" or "Fridayize" it - Feds have off today because June 19 is a saturday this year.

You said you’re concerned the name may be viewed as silly or may be a barrier to respect and understanding of the holiday. I suspect for some people, you’re correct. But it’s not the name that’s the problem. It’s the people that feel that way. Nothing should be changed to pander to close mindedness.

It's never the name of anything that's a problem -only ever people. I wouldn't suggest pandering to anyone. The goal in anything should be to open as many "closed minds" as possible. The conversation I'm having may be too deep for a discussion board ;)

I personally think this new federal holiday being disclosed to us the way it was is just political pandering. With the current climate in our country and especially after this past year with so much rioting and burning down of our cities only supports my belief. I know there are many here who will strongly disagree with me and that is ok, we live in America and we all have a right to our own opinion.

Please understand that I don’t oppose this holiday, as Buzz Rules said several posts back this holiday is for all of us. My grandparents came to this country as indentured servants at the beginning of the 20th century to escape what was going on in Europe at that time. I am very thankful to them for their sacrifice.

After reading so many posts showing how irresponsibly this holiday is being turned out to our country only emphasizes how poorly our country is currently being run. It also shows a lack of respect for those who have to make everything work and run smoothly. Those at the top don’t seem to care about that, they only seem to care about their personal agendas. It would have made better sense to announce the holiday either earlier in the year or for it to go into effect in 2022 so federal agencies would have time to adjust. It would have also given those of us who never heard of this day to understand what it's about. BWDIK?

Yes, our education system should be teaching history in grade school as well as HS. If we don't, history may repeat itself. We all need to learn from our mistakes. We also should strive to move past those mistakes and forgive our forefathers for their mistakes. Lastly, we should all try to get along.

Also the use of “white privilege” is very offensive and not necessary. Thank you.

Which is shamefully tone-deaf actually. Our First Nations leaders aren’t calling for a holiday for federal employees or virtue-signalling photo ops of politicians in orange t-shirts. They want meaningful action taken on the findings of the TRC, accountability from the Church, clean water on reserves and justice for MMIWG, but I digress... :sad2:
You are not digressing at all. In fact, the publicity-stunt politicians (of both parties in the US) are a much bigger problem than the name of any holiday.

Posing for selfies is the EASY work; hammering out REAL change is not glamourous and is much harder. As long as we citizens can be satisfied with photo ops, nothing will change. Politicians prefer selfies -- as indicated by the near-unanimous votes for this holiday.

And? Who cares? It's not about getting the day off. It's about recognizing the date and what happened in 1865. Period. Arguing about who gets it off, paid, not paid, double time, etc. completely misses the point.

I said it was a good idea... I just was adding that I wouldn't get off work (annoyed with employer), no argument about anything pertaining to making it a holiday at all.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the significance of the holiday. However, to have our senior leadership announce a federal holiday with only a few hours notice is beyond comprehension. I don't see the purpose of the optics of announcing the day before except grandstanding. This could have been done a month in advance or wait and declare the federal holiday for June 2022. I am going to start the coffee pot- I guess now I will be working all night notifying customers, canceling appointments. So frustrated right now!
The legislation has been introduced yearly since at least 1979. It has just taken this long to pass it. (jut googled it, I thought it had started with Shirley Jackson Lee but it predates her involvement). Personally, I am happy that they got it passed before the date rather than after when they could claim that it wasn't the time.

What do you mean "to be fair"? I operate a federal building. I can't close it, just in case the holiday is announced, maybe. We had a 5 star Army General send out an announcement at 2pm about the holiday but could not guide us on whether or not to remain open or close. I have never seen anything like this in my 30 year career for the Army. I am willing to bet most federal building managers are going through the same thing tonight.
Funny, the notice my Army husband got at 2 pm yesterday said that everyone had the day off and the building would be closed. Must be different Generals.

It’s about time. But I don’t like the name they couldn’t think of a better name? Where I work they are taking away holidays . Don’t think they will be adding any. We use to have 13 now we have 11. Hopefully people will remember what’s it’s about. Not be like Memorial Day or Veterans Day when people don’t get the real meaning of them days. Not everyone of course but probably close to 50 percent

Yes, you are correct, it is about time we all recognize the significance of Juneteenth. However, why should we change the name of an event that is so important and has been called Juneteenth since around 1865?

It doesn't matter if we like the name or not. Historically the name is Juneteenth for a reason and the name should continue.

This whole debate about disliking the name of the holiday has such a "give someone a nickname because you can't pronounce their name" vibe.

My take on it is, whether or not we agree with it, people are free to express their opinion. This trend of cancel culture, telling people what they can and can not stay is very toxic. After all, free speech is in the constitution also. Believe it or not, it is actually a good thing for people to come out and express their views. That is how you get conversations going and how things start to change. Bullying and name calling someone that has a different opinion does NOT give you the moral high ground.

My take on it is, whether or not we agree with it, people are free to express their opinion. This trend of cancel culture, telling people what they can and can not stay is very toxic. After all, free speech is in the constitution also. Believe it or not, it is actually a good thing for people to come out and express their views. That is how you get conversations going and how things start to change. Bullying and name calling someone that has a different opinion does NOT give you the moral high ground.

Not sure if you're implying that I'm being a bully?

I'm expressing my opinion of what this debate feels like. Others have the right to feel differently, for sure.

However, I also think people have the right to be upset. There is a cultural element to the holiday and its name, so I can understand why people who feel ownership over it would be offended.

Being offended is an opinion too...

June 19th, 1865 marks the day that federal troops arrived in Galveston Texas to take control of the state and ensure that all slaves were actually freed. Texas was pretty much the last hold out.

I just wish it would be popularized as something other than "Juneteenth."
I believe I heard on TV that actually the slaves in Texas didn’t even realize that they were freed. Took two years for that news to reach them. When I think about it back then news didn’t travel fast and the lack of access.

Just because it feels like it needs to be touched on again. Free speech doesn’t mean you can say whatever you want, whenever you want, without repercussions. It does mean you can speak out against your government. So tying it to “cancel culture” is woefully incorrect.

Semi related - so is assuming “cancel culture” is one sided. Not saying you said that, just in general.

I personally think this new federal holiday being disclosed to us the way it was is just political pandering. With the current climate in our country and especially after this past year with so much rioting and burning down of our cities only supports my belief. I know there are many here who will strongly disagree with me and that is ok, we live in America and we all have a right to our own opinion.

Please understand that I don’t oppose this holiday, as Buzz Rules said several posts back this holiday is for all of us. My grandparents came to this country as indentured servants at the beginning of the 20th century to escape what was going on in Europe at that time. I am very thankful to them for their sacrifice.

After reading so many posts showing how irresponsibly this holiday is being turned out to our country only emphasizes how poorly our country is currently being run. It also shows a lack of respect for those who have to make everything work and run smoothly. Those at the top don’t seem to care about that, they only seem to care about their personal agendas. It would have made better sense to announce the holiday either earlier in the year or for it to go into effect in 2022 so federal agencies would have time to adjust. It would have also given those of us who never heard of this day to understand what it's about. BWDIK?

Yes, our education system should be teaching history in grade school as well as HS. If we don't, history may repeat itself. We all need to learn from our mistakes. We also should strive to move past those mistakes and forgive our forefathers for their mistakes. Lastly, we should all try to get along.

Also the use of “white privilege” is very offensive and not necessary. Thank you.
Was it pandering last year when 45 pledged to make Juneteenth a Federal holiday?

Yes, you are correct, it is about time we all recognize the significance of Juneteenth. However, why should we change the name of an event that is so important and has been called Juneteenth since around 1865?

It doesn't matter if we like the name or not. Historically the name is Juneteenth for a reason and the name should continue.

I looked it up to see why it's called Juneteenth and this is what I found on www.britannica.com/topic/Juneteenth: "Juneteenth is a holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States. It is also called Emancipation Day or Juneteenth Independence Day. The name “Juneteenth” references the date of the holiday, combining the words “June” and “nineteenth.”

So I still don't get it, there are 7 days every month the end in teenth. So I don't really understand the name. It's not clear what day in June is "the day" based on the name. I don't care if the name is changed or not just sayin the name is a bit confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter