Juneteenth set to become a federal holiday in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
To expand on that before anyone else wants to be angry over my opinion of the holiday’s name, I realize it’s not up for debate.

Ive been trying to find when, how and why that name was chosen but couldnt find anything other than that it’s an obvious mashup. I didnt mean to insult the people who’ve been celebrating for decades. My first impression was the name sounds silly.

Couldn't figure out which kind of response button to hit, because I can see that the short turn-around would be a hassle, but I would have thought it wouldn't be so bad falling on a Saturday.
If a federal holiday is on a Saturday, workers are off and offices are closed on Friday. If it falls on a Sunday, then the following Monday would be the holiday.

The sad thing is, the House, the Senate, and the Administration knew full well the financial consequences of declaring a federal holiday the day before the holiday. I work hard for my paycheck and I hate unnecessary waste like this! It could have been declared MONTHS ago!!

Last edited:
This has been an interesting thread. Count me in as a person who had never heard of it until last year. When I first heard the name, I thought it was recently made up. I don’t know a single person IRL, including people of color, that had heard of it either. (Which doesn’t mean there aren’t any here, of course).
Around here (MA) I don’t feel like the Civil War is delved into that deeply at any age level. The basics are covered of course.
Now, the Revolutionary War on the other hand, is a big deal, presumably because so much of it took place in this area. We have 3rd graders putting on a yearly wax museum containing some of the most obscure Revolutionary Era figures and I suspect the only names they could give you from the Civil War era are Abraham Lincoln and Harriet Tubman.
I take no issue with the holiday. I just find it fascinating that so many people have been celebrating a holiday so many of us had not heard of.

I've only heard of it in the last year or two. I'm from MA, we barely covered the Civil War in school aside from watching Glory numerous times.
Surprisingly enough I never was taught it in school either lol.
I heard about it when President Obama talked about it.
Ever heard of him lol?

What I mean is that we studied it in Texas History class in 7th grade... and probably 4th as well... although most off us knew about it long before then. I can see why it’s celebrated in Texas because it took place here and affected Texans, but I’d think other states would celebrate something different, like the anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation or the end of the Civil War. Obviously, if you have relatives here, you’d know about it.

I’m not objecting to other states recognizing it, just somewhat surprised. I figured they’d have their own state specific date/event of a similar nature.
I realize Texas was the last state to get word, but geographic remoteness tends to have that effect.
You have to think about the role the great migration played in this. As former enslaved people and their descendants moved to the north, west and Midwest, they took their celebrations, rituals, customs,oral histories ....with them.

I'm not saying it's not perfect, and now realize people have been celebrating it for 100 or so years. I've never celebrated(as a white person -not that I'm opposed) the day and in fact never knew anything about it until 5-years ago maybe. I can tell you honestly that most white people I know never did either -and when they first heard of it had zero understanding other than it was an unusual name. My point is that if this is to be a "National" inclusive holiday it may help if it's something that will help all people recognize the significance. I agree people who have celebrated should have total say in what it's called, but it's also important that it be something that will be respected for what it is by all people ...not just those who've celebrated it in the past. But maybe that's not what we're going for here.....
The issue with what you are suggesting is that it screams WHITE PRIVILEGE.

As a black woman, I think you(general you) should seek to learn about the meaning of the name,respect it and join us in celebration.

To do or suggest otherwise sends the message that nothing is "right" until white people have had an opportunity to change into something that is palatable to them.

Being National inclusive means it's a holiday that we can all celebrate.

As a black woman, I think you(general you) should seek to learn about the meaning of the name,respect it and join us in celebration.

To do or suggest otherwise sends the message that nothing is "right" until white people have had an opportunity to change into something that is palatable to them.

Yes, it does scream white privilege. Why? Because there's an awful lot of it out there and it would be naive to think otherwise. My concern is that the name may not be universally accepted ...maybe even laughed at as silly. My hope wouldn't be that everything be "right", but that as many as possible understood the day and actually seek to learn and respect it -like you said. I think there may be a barrier there, but let's hope otherwise.....

You have to think about the role the great migration played in this. As former enslaved people and their descendants moved to the north, west and Midwest, they took their celebrations, rituals, customs,oral histories ....with them.

I don't think it is anywhere close to being "white privilege" to think a name is stupid. Now if the poster thought the meaning of it was dumb, then that would be a different story. I think the issue is that so many have no clue about what this is about and the significance. If you just hear the word "Juneteenth" and have no idea what it is, then yes, it does sound stupid. Especially as a National Holiday that represents the Country. I am not saying it is right or wrong, but people are allowed to have their opinion on the name. I don't think it helps anyone to get offended and start name calling over someone's opinion of a word.

Last edited:
I don't think it is anywhere close to being "white privilege" to think a name is stupid. Now if the poster thought the meaning of it was dumb, then that would be a different story. I think the issue is that so many have no clue about what this is about and the significance. If you just hear the word "Juneteenth" and have no idea what it is, then yes, it does sound stupid. Especially has a National Holiday that represents the Country. I am not saying it is right or wrong, but people are allowed to have their opinion on the name. I don't think it helps anyone to get offended and start name calling over someone's opinion of a word.
Having an opinion about the name isn't white privilege.

Saying that the name should be changed in order to appeal to people that are /were unaware of the holiday screams WHITE PRIVILEGE.

I get what you are saying. But at the same time for it to be inclusive, both sides have to feel it relates to them. This can’t be seen as a republican or democrat only holiday. This is a holiday about one of the great things the Civil War achieved and a goal that came to be through efforts of blacks, whites, and other ethnicities who fought for freedom. It should not be seen strictly as a black centric holiday. We all are American and have a right to celebrate the end of slavery which both blacks and whites fought for. So let’s respect each other please. 🙏
I’m a white man who sees no issue with the name. However, Juneteenth can have two respectable names as well if it’s easier for someone to comprehend. Example, Veterans Day is also known as Armistice Day. That is not white privilege, that is trying to get the meaning of a day easily across. Please don’t think I’m attacking your position, I respect it. I’m just trying to show you another way to look at it.:-) Thoughts?

Last edited:
Saying that the name should be changed in order to appeal to people that are /were unaware of the holiday screams WHITE PRIVILEGE.
I think what Gan was saying was that a name change might help people better understand the importance of the holiday -- and therefore respect it. Gan is suggesting that to ENHANCE the importance and respect of the holiday...not to detract from it.

I personally prefer the historical name, but Gan is just as entitled to their opinion as anyone else on the DIS.

You are the only one screaming "WHITE PRIVILEGE," and that is not a productive contribution to the conversation. It hurts whatever your argument is.

I'm learning a lot today about Juneteenth. I think I have heard the term, but honestly did not know what it was until now. Personally, an extra holiday will not affect me, since I work for a small employer and we only get 6 paid holidays. Although, when I worked for a large employer that was owned by a huge employer, we still only got 6 paid holidays, as well. So, I guess this will really only affect federal workers, maybe?

One positive thing will be that the schools will surely celebrate it and our kids will begin learning about it earlier than I did, so I think that's got to be a good thing. I certainly hope they don't let the kids out of school and just gloss over it. Time will tell.

I don't think it is anywhere close to being "white privilege" to think a name is stupid. Now if the poster thought the meaning of it was dumb, then that would be a different story. I think the issue is that so many have no clue about what this is about and the significance. If you just hear the word "Juneteenth" and have no idea what it is, then yes, it does sound stupid. Especially as a National Holiday that represents the Country. I am not saying it is right or wrong, but people are allowed to have their opinion on the name. I don't think it helps anyone to get offended and start name calling over someone's opinion of a word.

For the record -I don't think the name is stupid. But I think there may be many others that do -and all that will do is lessen the important impact it could/should have. Again -let's hope that isn't the case.....

And I in no way feel like @disneyjunkie "attacked" my point of view....

Last edited:
I also wanted to say what I feel makes this holiday inclusive for all races. To me this holiday represents understanding slavery/mistreatment of any kind in history was wrong and should not be forgotten. This applies to anyone whose ancestors were slaves, indentured servants, religiously persecuted, or prejudiced against. The holiday also serves as a day of healing that all races can relate too, since historically everyone probably has at least one ancestor that was mistreated or enslaved since around ancient times. So in essence we all probably come from someone who could relate to the meaning of the day. My ancestor who fought in the Civil War was white, Native American, and age 16. I have to believe he wanted freedom for all due to the fact his mother’s family was definitely not respected by everyone at the time. This holiday also means something to me when I think of my great grandmother who fled Poland in the early 1900’s. When she was a young girl her small village was attacked by Russian nationalists who had permission by the Czar to hunt and kill Jews through pogroms. When they attacked, her parents hid her in a barrel (she was small for her age) right before they along with her older siblings were killed within earshot. She then waited until her village’s slaughter ended. A short time later she ran to her relatives who lived a few hours away and several weeks after they left for a new life in America. My point is the event of Juneteenth can be seen parallel to other people’s personal journeys who celebrate America’s ideal for freedom and equality for all people everywhere. Thanks for reading my post.

Last edited:
I'm Canadian who spends very little time in the USA and I've heard of this holiday. There is no reason an American should claim ignorance about not knowing what it is.
History is no longer a focus in American schools. I know this because I've been an upper elementary school teacher for decades & we kind of sneak history in wherever we can. It's typically the only untested subject, until high school & even there it tends to only be tested once. Math, reading, & science are tested regularly & they're the focus in American schools and have been for over 20 years. Social studies teachers in middle and high schools routinely are expected to also be sports coaches, because districts are not going to pay someone a full teacher's salary just for teaching history. This naturally affects the quality of history instruction, because most of the teachers are primarily athletic types, not people with a strong background in history. It's wrong, but that's the way it is.

Even when history is directly taught, slavery is typically not a big focus and Juneteenth barely gets a passing mention. It would probably be talked about more if students were actually in school when the holiday occurs (like MLK, Jr. Day, which typically gets discussion), but most students are on summer vacation by June 19th.

State legislatures are the ones choosing the curriculum and testing demands for public schools in the USA. Every state has a slightly different public school system. So it is very believable that many Americans had never heard of Juneteenth until now.

Last edited:
I never heard of Juneteenth until a few years ago. I live in Texas so maybe that’s why. I grew up in NY and don’t remember this day being mentioned at all in history class.
I did some research on Juneteenth and it was eye opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter