Juneteenth set to become a federal holiday in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to what Heigh-ho said, there was a link to an article with an explanation of what it is in the first paragraph. It would have taken you one click, less time than it probably took to type your reply.
To me it was that, plus the tone.

You are not improving it with a passive-agressive apology, you could also say 'sorry, I could have googled that myself before replying'.
It’s about time! We should all be happy about this as it IS a part of our history. Why anybody would be upset by it is strange to me.

All due respect, it doesn’t really matter which one is more meaningful to you.

It was 100% your response and nothing about being perfect. There are plenty on here who said they hadn’t heard of it before, but the difference was they took the time to at least learn the basics before commenting. The link was right there for you. So this isn’t one you can spin on to others.

Being disrespectful often brings offense. It wasn’t a faux pas - it was on purpose. Some people will defend anything though, even when it’s clearly wrong.

So many judgmental people on this thread. But then I’m not surprised by some posters' comments.

After reading through all 8 pages of this thread it seems to me that most posters are only looking at the aspect of getting another paid day off from work, not what this day is supposed to represent. That doesn’t build a very strong case for you to be so self righteous when you don’t agree or like another poster's comments.

I think you overestimate how much interest/knowledge people in other countries have in US history. Not everyone outside the USA knows American history.

I guess if they never bother reading news of any sort. Juneteenth has been in the news a lot in the last few years. Your PRESIDENTS have made statements regarding it several times in the last decade. Then it just become being deliberately obtuse.

This new holiday does remind me that we have a new federal holiday to remember us of the atrocities of residential schools in September.
You seem to be laying it on thick. One the one hand Americans should be ashamed of themselves for not knowing something that which you as a Canadian do know but on the other hand people of other countries don't want to be bothered by knowledge of U.S. history. Dang you sure are doing some low shots and seem oddly focused on what knowledge Americans know or don't know.

People look for anything and everything to be offended by these days. I rolled my eyes at the first person to point out her faux pas and thought, "here we go."

Yes they do, just look at all the people who are offended by my first comment and I'm assuming you are referring to me when you rolled your eyes.

It's unfortunate that a question can't be asked without the usual suspects getting upset or offended. Unfortunate but not surprising.

I do kind of wonder if Union reenactment balls will become more of a thing around this date? I know the confederate reenactment balls are starting to be frowned upon for obvious reasons.

I do kind of wonder if Union reenactment balls will become more of a thing around this date? I know the confederate reenactment balls are starting to be frowned upon for obvious reasons.
I'm pretty sure we're more like neither should be there this day and age with preference towards other ways to show the past.

I'm Canadian who spends very little time in the USA and I've heard of this holiday. There is no reason an American should claim ignorance about not knowing what it is.

I have lived in US all my life and I only heard of this day until yesterday so NO all American's don't know about this day. Sorry but I never heard of it before and I know many others who also have never heard of it...

I'm pretty sure we're more like neither should be there this day and age with preference towards other ways to show the past.
Well, I disagree to a point. A lot of people enjoy visual history. Many of the reenactment balls (Union, American Revolution, Jane Austen) allow people to experience history in a first person perspective. They are also very inclusive, which allows those who would not have been able to attend historically, the chance to show how the expanded diversity would have made the time period even better. They also celebrate those who were on the right side of history and promoted America’s values.

Last edited:

Yes they do, just look at all the people who are offended by my first comment and I'm assuming you are referring to me when you rolled your eyes.

It's unfortunate that a question can't be asked without the usual suspects getting upset or offended. Unfortunate but not surprising.
I think she was referring to the first person that negatively responded to your post, not your post 😊

So many judgmental people on this thread. But then I’m not surprised by some posters' comments.

After reading through all 8 pages of this thread it seems to me that most posters are only looking at the aspect of getting another paid day off from work, not what this day is supposed to represent. That doesn’t build a very strong case for you to be so self righteous when you don’t agree or like another poster's comments.
You decided to quote me, but I said nothing about it being a paid day off. I actually agree it’s the entirely wrong thing to be looking at and misses the point.

But I completely stand by what I said. Your wording set you up for the responses & reactions you got. Had you left out “so called”, it would have been much different. And I do think your wording choice was intentional.

Well, I disagree to a point. A lot of people enjoy visual history. Many of the reenactment balls (Union, American Revolution, Jane Austen) allow people to experience history in a first person perspective. They are also very inclusive, which allows those who would not have been able to attend historically, the chance to show how the expanded diversity would have made the time period even better.
Oh I agree people like visual things. I think the turnabout is that reenactments or balls, especially of the nature you were talking about, are not really societally looked favorably on these days no matter which side is doing the presenting. Visual things are really good for things like Colonial Williamsburg or Mount Vernon showcasing how life was in the past but not necessarily reflecting what you were talking about. There's an awareness level there that wasn't before such that I think you'll see more bringing to light in different ways how the past, in relation to what you're talking about, was. We don't necessarily want to view things as Confederate vs Union (and haven't for a while) preferring to see our history collectively not in a divisive manner.

I guess if they never bother reading news of any sort. Juneteenth has been in the news a lot in the last few years. Your PRESIDENTS have made statements regarding it several times in the last decade. Then it just become being deliberately obtuse.

This new holiday does remind me that we have a new federal holiday to remember us of the atrocities of residential schools in September.

I've only heard of it in the last year or two. I'm from MA, we barely covered the Civil War in school aside from watching Glory numerous times.

A gentle nudge perhaps?

If you say it out loud how do you think it sounds? To say "What is the date of this so called holiday?" Is there a hint of sarcasm at the end? Is there an underlying hint of "oh goodie yet another holiday, what's this one for?" Most people are going to hear a different tone and that's not looking to be offended. Sometimes we also are quick to say people are just looking to be offended when that's just not the case for everything.

Several years ago I opted to stop saying people get offended quickly (although I rarely used the word offended because I feel most people generally aren't offended by the true definition of it) because it's a lot more nuanced than that especially with deep topics. Doesn't mean I always agree with why someone may be upset, may see something a certain way. I just changed how I viewed the conversation from "everyone has to be upset over everything" into using it more selectively.

I agree -does seem like it deserves a better identifier, like Emancipation Day
Juneteenth is perfect. Those of us that have been celebrating Juneteenth for decades, are more than happy to explain
Honestly, I don't know a single black friend that celebrates Kwanzaa.

I think Juneteenth is more (and will be more) important to our black community than Kwanzaa. I believe it will be celebrated widely, especially now that it is a federal holiday.

I know TONS of black folk that celebrate Kwanzaa. We are not "ranking" Kwanzaa and Juneteenth. Some of us will celebrate both (just as we've always done) and some will celebrate one or the other.

Oh I agree people like visual things. I think the turnabout is that reenactments or balls, especially of the nature you were talking about, are not really societally looked favorably on these days no matter which side is doing the presenting. Visual things are really good for things like Colonial Williamsburg or Mount Vernon showcasing how life was in the past but not necessarily reflecting what you were talking about. There's an awareness level there that wasn't before such that I think you'll see more bringing to light in different ways how the past, in relation to what you're talking about, was. We don't necessarily want to view things as Confederate vs Union (and haven't for a while) preferring to see our history collectively not in a divisive manner.
Yeah, I see what you are saying. My hope is though that more historical experience type of events may happen around the holiday, not just a negative lecture type that may rub some people the wrong way.

Kind of sad this was brought to light only recently. Should of been enacted centuries ago and not suppressed for centuries. Never heard of Juneteenth until just the other day. We had Patriot Day enacted almost immediately after 9/11. The timing/motive is questionable and the ball was dropped on Juneteenth. Not suprised given our US History. Recognizing Juneteenth today seems to be saving face vs. doing the right thing overall. Don't get me wrong Juneteenth is definitely a good start and a step in the right direction to more equality changes that need to happen that are also long overdue. Just wished Juneteenth happened way way way sooner like centuries ago rather than centuries later. Sure hope there's a heartfelt apology of the failure of Juneteenth not being recognized and happening sooner. Perhaps the world would of been a better place vs. power, control, and suppression. There's still lots of other equality issues on the table that need to be address and need to happen way way way sooner as well.

I agree with you there :)
For the record though, I don’t think the period balls are going anywhere. Colonial Williamsburg and the Old Barracks Museum in NJ both do them, as well as other places across the country. They do however usually have events before hand that explain the pros and cons of the time period. Only the big one in Versailles seems to sweep the problems of the past under the rug. Typical French 🙄 (just kidding 🤣).

You decided to quote me, but I said nothing about it being a paid day off. I actually agree it’s the entirely wrong thing to be looking at and misses the point.

But I completely stand by what I said. Your wording set you up for the responses & reactions you got. Had you left out “so called”, it would have been much different. And I do think your wording choice was intentional.

You sure find yourself in the middle of every DIS argument these days. Must be exhausting.

I had never heard of it until a few years ago when a coworker was telling me about it.

I have never worked anywhere in the last 25 yrs I didn't get holiday pay when working a federal holiday. I've always gotten it at my full time job, but even when I was a waitress or bartender at different places I've gotten paid time and a half or double depending on the holiday.

You are fortunate then. Like I said, where I live, not many places give that to hourly employees anymore. Which it really should be a Federal law. But so should mandatory breaks be a Federal law also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter