Juneau - dog sled /Mendenhall?

So the blue bus is no longer an option?
The post gives a good explanation why I couldn’t find info for the Blue Bus.

The source cited was from Cruise Critic. You can put a term and Cruise Critic in a search engine and you can see posts - without having an account.

I would also keep an eye out to see if MM Tours has offerings this season. They could be in some type of contract negotiations.

https://www.mmtoursofjuneau.com/land-tours?fh-u=b6877056-8c66-467f-8dc7-98258f2c039f

Ok so I just priced up the two different cruises, with the port adventures we'd likely do. I used to Disney prices for ease of comparison and included both things in Juneau with Disney if we did ISP sailing ( although I'm not sure if that is possible, but it gives an idea)
I converted the port adventures in to £ as I'm in the UK and will pay for the cruise in £

4th August (the cruise that goes to Skagway)

Inside room, SW65 and JU11 - £5780
Oceanview, SW65 and JU11 - £7056

11th August (ISP cruise)

Inside room, JU04, JU11, IS01 - £5475
Oceanview, JU04, JU11, IS01 - £6580

I think overall, I would rather pay the extra £300 or so and do the sailing that goes to Skagway if we do an inside room (hopefully a secret porthole room) The port adventures for the ISP cruise are a lot more as I was hunting for something to do at ISP, so went for the whale watching as nothing else really appealed. If I did the tram tour it would be a lot less but it doesn't sound that appealing to us. Either way, I think we'd be doing something in ISP for the sake of doing it if that makes sense? We plan to do whale watching in Vancouver so would be repeating the same sort of thing.

I have looked at flying in to Seattle and using the train upto Vancouver, based on this years prices. Unfortunately they aren't any cheaper than flying into YVR. But I will definitely keep it as an option in mind if there's a flight sale on!

Thankyou everyone for your help, I really appreciate it. Hopefully this post has given others some ideas too.

I am certainly going to look into booking with outside vendors too for our excursions, I just used the Disney ones for ease.

Ok so I just priced up the two different cruises, with the port adventures we'd likely do. I used to Disney prices for ease of comparison and included both things in Juneau with Disney if we did ISP sailing ( although I'm not sure if that is possible, but it gives an idea)
I converted the port adventures in to £ as I'm in the UK and will pay for the cruise in £

4th August (the cruise that goes to Skagway)

Inside room, SW65 and JU11 - £5780
Oceanview, SW65 and JU11 - £7056

11th August (ISP cruise)

Inside room, JU04, JU11, IS01 - £5475
Oceanview, JU04, JU11, IS01 - £6580

I think overall, I would rather pay the extra £300 or so and do the sailing that goes to Skagway if we do an inside room (hopefully a secret porthole room)
I definitely think Skagway is great for a first Alaska cruise as there are tons of things to do there. We're doing the ISP one so that we get to try a different port for our second Alaska cruise.

The secret porthole room will likely cost the same as the listed Oceanview price The 'starting at' prices listed are the lowest ones in each category, so they list the standard inside vs the deluxe inside,.and the Oceanview price is for deck 1 with the 2 small portholes. You would save over the cost of a deck 5 Oceanview though as prices are higher for the upper decks.

Thankyou, yes I realise those prices are for the cheapest rooms in each category, and will likely rise after Monday and Tuesday (I can book on Wednesday).

When I went to ISP it was because our ship couldn’t get into Skagway due to a landslide at the dock. I shared you opinion of the tram and the people on our cruise got up on top and then really couldn’t explore because of bear on the trails. People were not allowed to wander off on their own. That area has the densest population of bear per square mile in the US. There are a lot of them and they can be agressive. Our bear/whale tour was protected by two guides with rifles. I’m not a “gun person” but I still very safe! I am still jealous that the other tour saw a bear fishing in the stream :(.

I was planning to do a combination train and bus ride to see sled dogs in Skagway. The train was also modified at the time and was not doing the entire route. I’m not sure if they are back to their regular schedule or not.

Talking about this really makes me want to go back to Alaska! I would personally cruise another line that goes to Glacier Bay which is breathtakingly beautiful. DCL doesn’t go to Glacier Bay. Full disclosure, I’ve never sailed DCL because it’s double the price of other cruises and my daughter is an adult.

Nice research!

I got to ISP on a fifth cruise - to see a different new port. I loved the ZipRider (did it as a combo with whale watching), but now doing just the ZipRider is pushing $300 for a 90 second ride. Ouch. Glad I got it in when it wasn’t so expensive (and I don’t even see the combo tour even offered this year).

If flights are in the same ballpark, definitely fly to YVR. So nice to land and be at your destination. While the train ride from Seattle to Vancouver is lovely, it’s just more steps and transfers in the journey. And you have a long journey!

I’d back you on doing the Skagway option. It is a classic Alaskan cruise itinerary. Skagway is a cute replica of a town with the history of the Yukon Good Rush. Puppies sounds good, too. I guess this excursion has the train ride both ways (up and down). That’s how ours was. But some go one way via bus (they would list that in the description. SW65 doesn’t mention a bus).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter